• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New - 1GB 2900XT Released

Cyber-Mav said:
got 2 missing things in device manager which im sure is to do with the gfx card, vivo/rage theatre chip i think.
missing.png

and in some games i get issues where vpu recover kicks in for no reason, atimag.dll or something is the cause. and vista performance is not at the level of xp performance so wondering if some enhancements to that will be made too.
I dont know mate i dont think i have that at al, will check tonight in device manager but all seemed ok.

Connect 3d 1950XTX x-fire edition, i also found that the vista performance wasnt because of the gfx card but because of the additional load on the CPU
My 3d mark scores when i was comparing them.

Testbed:
Intel C2D E6600@Stock
DFI Ininity 975x Bios 12/01/06
GEIL 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 Dual
Connect ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X 512mb
Western Digital 5000AAKS 1TB Raid 0
OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent

Windows XP + SP2, Cata 7.4:
Main Test Results
3DMark Score 6325 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 2492 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 2760 Marks
CPU Score 2096 Marks

Vista 64, cata 7.4:
Main Test Results
3DMark Score 6260 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 2500 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 2818 Marks
CPU Score 1883 Marks

Vista 64, Cata 7.5 + Optimised Memory timings:
Main Test Results
3DMark Score 6367 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 2513 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 2833 Marks
CPU Score 2009 Marks

Cyber-Mav said:
got 2 missing things in device manager which im sure is to do with the gfx card, vivo/rage theatre chip i think.
missing.png

and in some games i get issues where vpu recover kicks in for no reason, atimag.dll or something is the cause. and vista performance is not at the level of xp performance so wondering if some enhancements to that will be made too.
Just looked in my DM/Other Devices & don't show that with my 1900xtx 1900xt master cards

Last edited:
Chronictank said:
Using the 7.5Beta cata's

Testbeds:
Nvidia
- eVGA e-GeForce 8800 Ultra Superclocked 768MB
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MiB
- ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/640M 640MiB
- AMD Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MiB

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz, 4MiB L2 cache, LGA775)
EVGA nForce 680i SLI
2GiB (2x 1024) Corsair PC8500 EPP
4-4-4-12 2T @ 800MHz (PC6400)
FSP Epsilon 600W
Dell 3007WFP - 2560x1600
Seagate 160GB SATAII (ST3160812AS)
NVIDIA platform driver 9.53
ForceWare 158.19

Ati
AMD Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MiB
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz, 4MiB L2 cache, LGA775)
ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe (975X+ICH7R)
2GiB (2x 1024) Patriot XLBK
4-4-4-12 2T @ 800MHz (PC6400)
Enermax Galaxy DXX 850W
Dell 3007WFP - 2560x1600
Seagate 160GB SATAII (ST3160812AS)
Intel Inf 8.0.1.1002
8.37.4-070419a-046506E-ATI (Cat 7.5 BETA)
The 2900xt has the lowest mem so i would really like to see it again with the 1GB version. to eliminate that possibility as thats the res i play at.

Last edited:
Cyber-Mav said:

it just occured to me, its probably vista not the drivers themselves if your not using the latest cat's.
Press F8 at boot and disabling the forced driver signing, then try installing them

Chronictank said:
it just occured to me, its probably vista not the drivers themselves if your not using the latest cat's.
Press F8 at boot and disabling the forced driver signing, then try installing them

The VIVO drivers are seperate and not included with the Cats.
Driver signing is a major security feature and disabling it certainly isn't recommended.

From what people and techs have been saying is the fact there is no doubt that ATI's solution is more sophisticated as it has the 4+1 Superscaler processors, only problem is its not really translating into real world performance atm unless a big change is made to the way DX/OGL interact with hardware. For a start M$ need to change the HLSL in DX to accomodate the 2900s advanced architecture. We should see advancements in the near future.

Boogle said:
The VIVO drivers are seperate and not included with the Cats.
Driver signing is a major security feature and disabling it certainly isn't recommended.
you only disable it for 1 boot so you can install the app :p
I have had to use it for various programs already, Logitech Setpoint for 1

Tom|Nbk said:
From what people and techs have been saying is the fact there is no doubt that ATI's solution is more sophisticated as it has the 4+1 Superscaler processors, only problem is its not really translating into real world performance
It can get a bit confusing. But its, 4 arrays of 16 stream processing units. Each SPU has 5 way scaler processors. Each of the 5 co-issues floating point Multipy-Add (FP MAD) instructions, but one of the five has a superset for transcendental instructions, like sine cos etc. Take a look at the way VLIW works, you'll see why things slow things down if data has dependencies or the complier has problems creating the instruction word. I'm sure there lots of ways of improving the throughput.

Architecture overview

Last edited:
fornowagain said:
It can get a bit confusing. But its, 4 arrays of 16 stream processing units. Each SPU has 5 way scaler processors. Each of the 5 co-issues floating point Multipy-Add (FP MAD) instructions, but one of the five has a superset for transcendental instructions, like sine cos etc. Take a look at the way VLIW works, you'll see why things slow things down if data has dependencies or the complier has problems creating the instruction word. I'm sure there lots of ways of improving the throughput.

Architecture overview

Misssed off the 6, but cheers for clarifying that :)

Back
Top Bottom