*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Associate
I just have this constant frustration that the machine is very good, but I have the feeling I am not optimising it properly. For example, heroes of the storm, played on high setting with stable ping and FPS, but on subsequent games, the fps have dropped dramatically, makingme drop the graphics to low and even then, it seems laggy on some points. I want to believe it must be something on my internet connection, but I cannot stop feeling that it is something I have set up wrong.

Try forcing the Lappy to always use the gtx960 in the nvidia control panel. I've had situations were it hasn't switched over from the onboard graphics when gaming.

Associate
ill have a look, has this actually made any changes to you?

Yes it has but normally when starting a game. Your problem does seem game specific as your performance deteriorates over time. When i left my settings to "auto" in NV control panel it did not auto switch to the 960 all the time.

I just run mine with forced nvidia now, battery life still feels decent when not charging.

Matt

Permabanned
My Dell Inspiron 7559 Spec

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor
(6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
128GB SSD [128GB Solid State Drive] + 1TB 5.4k HDD [1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive]

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
15.6-inch UHD (3840 x 2160) 4L

Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display

Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

Last edited:
Soldato
What was the warranty on this?
My spacebar only works if pressed right in the centre but I've had the laptop since December 2015.

Either need a new keyboard or claim on the warranty.

Soldato
Can someone tell me what idle temps they are getting on their machine please. I have just picked up another but one cpu core is hitting 60.c at idle and the fans keep coming on quite a bit.

It's been a while since I had one of these and cannot remember if it's normal or not. I have been used to a pretty much silent MacBook so not sure if this is a fault or just as it is...

Cheers

Associate
Can someone tell me what idle temps they are getting on their machine please. I have just picked up another but one cpu core is hitting 60.c at idle and the fans keep coming on quite a bit.

It's been a while since I had one of these and cannot remember if it's normal or not. I have been used to a pretty much silent MacBook so not sure if this is a fault or just as it is...

Cheers

If I remember back to when I had mine (in fact and if I'm not mistaken, I'm sure I sold my old one to you last year!) - I'm fairly sure at idle it was around 40c. However bear in mind it wasn't that old back then.

It may be worth checking to see if the exhaust vents on your newly acquired one are not clogged with dust, otherwise check to make sure it's on balanced and not high performance within Windows. Also it's known that Dell's own software can sometimes hog resources which in turn will make the CPU run slightly hottest, as well as affecting battery life.

Failing that it may be worth opening it up to check out the CPU paste, if the laptop itself is a good 18 or so months old then a repaste may do the trick.

On my XPS 13, I did a clean install on it when so first got it as these can especially run hot taking into account it only has one fan and even mine happily idles at 45c.

Liam.

Soldato
Yeah I sold it a while back to go Mac.... lol..

Dell have agreed it's not right and have said they will arrange for an engineer to come and replace the motherboard in this one. One CPU core sits in the mid 60's at idle and the otters are mid 40's so something's not right. Although it never throttles even under load it does reach 96.c though. I'm sure it could be made better by a repast but it's new and Dell can do it....

Cheers.

Soldato
Also getting USb issues with this machine too. I cannot transfer anything using USB without constant drop outs and pauses. Installed all latest drivers but no difference.

Tbh I have had enough now and its going back for a refund and I will get another Macbook far less hassle tbh... After using OSX for nearly a year going back to Windows 10 is painful and a horrid experience.

Soldato
Had enough of talking to Dell technical who tbh have no idea what I'm saying. It's some guy in India on the quietest phone ever who does not understand basic English.... Anywhoo

I stripped the machine down and rebuilt it. Tbh whoever refurbishes for Dell should be fired as I found loose screws, missing screws, trapped cables and a couple of random thermal pads within the system. Now rebuilt properly and a decent paste job done its miles better with much lower idle temps and better in use temps too.

Not sure I will get used to Windows again but at least it is all working as expected now....

Soldato
with this spec, can i add ANOTHER SSD as a boot drive and keep the 1TB ??

Inspiron 15 - 7559
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (4 Core,6M Cache, up to 3.5GHz, 45W)
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
8 GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (1x8GB)
1 TB 2.5 Inch SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with 4GB

Soldato
with this spec, can i add ANOTHER SSD as a boot drive and keep the 1TB ??

Inspiron 15 - 7559
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (4 Core,6M Cache, up to 3.5GHz, 45W)
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
8 GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (1x8GB)
1 TB 2.5 Inch SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with 4GB

Yes as long as it's a sata M.2 drive. I have that spec and have added a 275gb M.2 SSD, 8gb more ram and an intel 8260 WiFi card....

Back
Top Bottom