• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New AMD APU's

Soldato
Am I right in thinking 4X00 CPU/APUs are OEM and 4X50 parts are retail? Is there much difference between OEM and retail (except the latter will come with coolers)?
OEM you can’t buy from retailers like OCUK. You will have to find someone willing to sell as a package combo or as part of a prebuilt system. Not many in UK offers that

retail is readily available everywhere given the supply is good. Retail can come with just CPU and no fans as well.

no idea about which APUs are OEM and retail. As far as I can see the 3400G is the only part that is available to buy as retail. Any other 4000G APUs are currently listed as OEM parts. So more likely to be in prebuilts. I am sure if these are very popular OCUK can secure them and sell on for a decent profit.

Soldato
Many places stock these parts and many turn up in full retail packaging. Obviously you won’t get a retail service as your paying for a brown box. I used to enjoy rifling through trays at a local supplier picking out the gems.

Soldato
Interested in when a Zen 2 desktop APU will be available, looking to make a small desktop with a MITX A520 and the APU's graphics would be enough for my gaming needs. Would mean I would have a set up that is small with some room for future proofing to zen 3.

[edit] If it was known at what rough point they are available then I can make a decision as to whether to hold out or buy a B450 that may/ may not support zen 3.

Associate
Interested in when a Zen 2 desktop APU will be available, looking to make a small desktop with a MITX A520 and the APU's graphics would be enough for my gaming needs. Would mean I would have a set up that is small with some room for future proofing to zen 3.

[edit] If it was known at what rough point they are available then I can make a decision as to whether to hold out or buy a B450 that may/ may not support zen 3.
I've seen some people saying its the availability of wafers that is limiting the ability of AMD (and others) to produce as many CPUs as they want and they don't expect the supply of lower end chips to improve until early next year (Feb - Apr). But it's difficult to figure out how much of what is said is educated guesswork and how much just guesswork.

Back
Top Bottom