New AMD Build

Associate
Hi Folks,

Looking at getting a new build to play games and do a touch of photo editing.
Have done a list and hopefully it is shown below. Trying to keep the spend below £1500 but have a minimum of £1200 to start with.
Do not have to go the AIO route so any suggestions for Air Cooling will be helpful.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,192.48 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Soldato
Total: £118.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Better than the plain M.2 version. And currently cheaper.

Total: £38.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Ample cooler for a 3700X.

Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

May as well go for 3600MHz DDR4 given the price difference right now and the budget being comfortable.

As for the rest, what resolution and refresh rate will you be gaming at? And is the monitor Gsync or Freesync?

And will you be using Wifi or Ethernet?

Soldato

Total: £38.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

May as well go for 3600MHz DDR4 given the price difference right now and the budget being comfortable.

As for the rest, what resolution and refresh rate will you be gaming at? And is the monitor Gsync or Freesync?

Just to add to this; the main reason for going for X570 board is more for the benefit of Gen4 SSD. If not going use that, a MSI B450 HAWK MAX at £100 (about £120) cheaper would be sufficient. That £120 saving could well be spent on adding to the graphic card budget instead, and getting a 5700XT or 2070 Super over the 2060.

Associate
OP

Total: £38.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I will be using Ethernet as have connections throughout the house.
Current PC is as follows:
Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower Computer Case

730W be quiet! Pure Power L8 Modular PSU

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz

ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67 Rev 3B

24GB Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 -2x4GB & 2x8GB

Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced Cooler

ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060-O6G 6 GB

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD – (Main Drive)

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5" SATA-3 – (Storage / Videos/Photos)

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB 2.5" SATA-3 – (Storage / Games)

500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA2 – (Storage / Documents & Backup)

Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluR

Akasa Internal Media Card Reader

2 x Dell SE2417HG Monitors – These are mainly used in a 'working from home layout' for myself and the Wife. This will not be needed in the future as there will no longer be a need to WFH. So an upgrade of both monitors may well be required towards the end of the year.

I currently play Fallout 4, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and am hoping to get back into Grand Theft Auto. Hopefully with a better system I can get back into trying to play more games!!

Man of Honour
Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower Computer Case
730W be quiet! Pure Power L8 Modular PSU
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced Cooler
Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluR
Akasa Internal Media Card Reader
2 x Dell SE2417HG Monitors – These are mainly used in a 'working from home layout' for myself and the Wife. This will not be needed in the future as there will no longer be a need to WFH. So an upgrade of both monitors may well be required towards the end of the year.

i'd reuse all of these to keep the costs down.
though you may need to get the AM4 bracket from bequiet: https://www.bequiet.com/en/contact/coolermounting

Soldato
i'd reuse all of these to keep the costs down.
though you may need to get the AM4 bracket from bequiet: https://www.bequiet.com/en/contact/coolermounting
That BeQuiet PSU was low end cheapo already 10 years ago.
And unlike erroneously claimed in text that's not even Teapo but Su'scon as primary bulk capacitor there...
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/44781-quiet-pure-power-l8-630w-psu/
So definitely wouldn't connect new expensive parts to such old used one.

And Dark Rock Advanced isn't listed there, so likely out of luck with just changing mounting bracket to reuse it.

Soldato
More expensive motherboard than CPU doesn't make PC any better.
And if cooler costs like one fourth or more of the CPU that's also total waste of money.
£43 Scythe Mugen 5 is step behind the best level cooler and major overkill for just 6 core Ryzen.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

That price difference would be better spend on CPU at least on level of next-gen consoles.
Those will bring pretty much underclocked for power efficiency 3700X with 8 cores/16 threads as base level for future games.

And without need for Wifi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite is very well featured board at better price:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
Also lot better positioned chipset cooler won't get drowned by heat from graphics cards, unlike in Asus X570 boards designed by marketroids.

Though without eventual update to 12 core CPU there's little sense in expensive X570 board.
Well, guess in few years PCIe v4 will start making some difference to GPU performance, if advance in there picks up like in CPUs.

Associate
Just to add to this; the main reason for going for X570 board is more for the benefit of Gen4 SSD. If not going use that, a MSI B450 HAWK MAX at £100 (about £120) cheaper would be sufficient. That £120 saving could well be spent on adding to the graphic card budget instead, and getting a 5700XT or 2070 Super over the 2060.
I have to agree with a 3600x build put the money in the Gpu

Soldato
Though without eventual update to 12 core CPU there's little sense in expensive X570 board.
Have to agree there. Before having the 3700X first hand, I got my X570 board with the though of "upgrading to more cores CPU in the future". But after having used it in games that use to bottleneck by my overclocked 2500K, AND STILL having 50% left in the tank, I honestly don't see myself upgrading the CPU again for gaming for the duration of the platform's life.

If I could turn back time, I would have just gotten the MSI B450 HAWK Max or B450 Gaming Carbon instead, especially I have not plan on getting a Gen4 SSD.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice. Had a rethink and was thinking of this:

Total: £1,142.92 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Was thinking of putting 2 of the 120mm fans that come with the case at the top and putting the 140mm fans at the front of the case. Thoughts?

Soldato
Total: £1,156.02 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Can move three case fans to front, use one of the CPU cooler fans on the cooler and the other at the rear, and squeeze in a 3700X while retaining a good 5700 XT model like the Gigabyte (which is better than the MSI Gaming X in one or two respects, like memory cooling) for very close to £1,150.

650W is more than enough.

You could also drop in the cheaper Ryzen 3600 with an eye on upgrading to a faster Ryzen 4700X (or whatever it's called) when released.

Was thinking of putting 2 of the 120mm fans that come with the case at the top and putting the 140mm fans at the front of the case. Thoughts?

You can do this if you like. There's enough fan headers for this in conjunction with the PST daisy-chaining on those Arctic fans. Although when CPU is air cooled, two top fans in exhaust steal cool intake air from the CPU cooler, so it's not my cup of tea. A single top fan nearest the rear of the case tends to not hurt much, at slightly lower RPM than the rear fan. Ideally you want the air to flow from front to back, to wash across all the components. Liquid cooling is a different kettle of fish.

Associate
OP
Total: £1,156.02 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Can move three case fans to front, use one of the CPU cooler fans on the cooler and the other at the rear, and squeeze in a 3700X while retaining a good 5700 XT model like the Gigabyte (which is better than the MSI Gaming X in one or two respects, like memory cooling) for very close to £1,150.

650W is more than enough.

Like that suggestion about the fans. Also like the list you have put together so will have a look into it.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom