1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

New AMD mid-year build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The Old School Gamer, Mar 22, 2019.

1. The Old School Gamer

Gangster

This is going to be my mid year build to coincide with the release of Zen 2 @ Computex. :cool:

Pretty pictures: https://www.guernsey-ci.com/public/ocuk/index.php?dir=New AMD Build

Purchased so far.

• Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 ITX case (Picked up on clearance for next to nothing)
    • Icy Dock ToughArmor MB607SP-B 5.25" Internal Drive Bay (4x 2.5" front removal bays)
    • Pioneer BDR-S09XLT Blu-ray Writer 5.25" Internal Drive
    • 4x Be Quiet! 140mm PWN case fans
    • Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU cooler (didn't cost me anything a friend didn't want it).
    • Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 750w PSU
    • Coolermaster Angled ITX Connector with capacitors
    • Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb M.2 SSD (OS/Apps)
    • Crucial MX500 2Tb 2.5" SSD (Games)
    • Team Group Dark Pro Red DDR4 3200Mhz 14-14-14-31 (4x8Gb Samsung B-die) (picked up on offer for £308)
    • MSI RTX2070 Gaming Z graphic card (ex-demo, has Samsung GDDR6 memory, picked up for £350)
    • LG 34GK950F 34" Ultrawide IPS 144hz Monitor
    • Lindy 3m v1.4 Anthra Displayport cable
    • RAIDON Safetank eSATA External Storage (RAID1)
    • 2x WD 6Tb 5400rpm Blues

Outstanding / undecided items / waiting for release and reviews.

CPU... Ryzen 7/9 3xxx 8/12/16 core???
    Motherboard... Asus X570 Crosshair Hero???
    2x Internal Storage HDD (RAID1)... 10Tb WD Reds???

Most of these parts I've picked up over the last 8 months or so.
    As you can see I'm pretty much as ready as I can be.

Just playing the waiting game till June now. :)

[ BUILD NOTES ]

The front and bottom 140mm intake fans are up to 1500rpm PWN (filtered).
    The rear and top 140mm exit fans are slower 1000rpm.
    With the GPU and CPU fans this should give me good positive case air pressure to keep the dust out without restricting hot air exit flow.
    I'll do a air flow smoke test to confirm it's working as intended.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Just before end of year, would of said avoid Asus boards as VRM was naff , but seems they've followed suit with 2 other vendors that white washed then with z390.

Get Zen2 on pre- order.. it'll shoot up in price like intel chips normally do. Believe demand will be high, and a lot of takers before reviews hit out

3. The Old School Gamer

Gangster

I don't like blindly pre-ordering as there is so much that is not known about Zen 2.
    Really need information on clock speeds and operating temps and OC potential (hopefully their will be some pre-launch leaks).
    The 12 core may very well clock higher and stay cooler than the 16 core CPU, that would probably make it more appealing.

I reckon we are going to get screwed on the price no matter what lol.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. Troezar

Mobster

We may be okay as production had been going since Nov18 AFAIK so there should be massive availability. There shouldn't be just a few retailers monopolising the supply. I suspect motherboards will be a bigger issue as I read there had been delays with the chipset production.

I'd say preorder, you can always cancel or return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

5. The Old School Gamer

Gangster

Apart from knowing these products are coming there is very little actual factual information (atm).

I don't need to see any reviews to pick and pre-order a motherboard.
    But I do need to see detailed specs and features to make a informed choice.

The CPUs will have day one reviews. (so no problem there).
    On YouTube the tech reviewers will be falling over each other to get them out first for the hits and likes a new product launch brings to their channel.

6. Troezar

Mobster

Agreed re. the facts. With motherboards there are a lot of factors not least of which is you can't rely on reputation any more. More than a few higher end boards have been found lacking when reviewed over the last two generations. Then there is the BIOS vs warranty vs hardware features debate.

To me CPUs are much simpler, price, clock speed, power draw(and therefore temperature) and cores (how many do you want/need). All pretty simple stuff to decide on.

5GHz (1or 2 core), 8-12 cores and around £350 or less and I'm in.

7. The Old School Gamer

Gangster

Yeah that's it.

This build will eventually become my general purpose, always on, 24/7 PC.
    Day to day I'll be doing some AV encoding, streaming, running a couple of VMs and other services in the background etc.
    So I'm thinking that core count above clock speed will be the more important factor IF I can keep the temps under control with quiet air cooling.

12 Cores would be double what I have now, but I may hang on even longer for the Ryzen 9 / 16 core CPU.
    That would give me time to add another 16Gb of RAM (Done) and maybe sell the Dark Rock and go with a larger dual tower CPU cooler.

Dunno I'll give it some further thought.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  8. The Old School Gamer

Gangster

Ok I'm ponding watercooling the CPU with a modular Alphacool Eisbaer 240mm.
    Now I don't like the long jeopardy and added maintenance that comes with water over a traditional ' fit it and forget it ' heat sink on a 24/7 system.
    But I like the clearance and the cooling performance which I think I may need to prevent throttling of the 12 or 16 core Zen 2.

Still giving it some thought.

[EDIT]

Going to try it using separate components rather than going with the pre-built kit.
    As I prefer clear 10/8 tubing and 4pin PWN fans, may even add a in-line flow indicator.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:49 AM