New bathroom

Soldato
The tiling bill included in that was 1.4k I think (labour) itemised. Its my only bathroom so needed it done fairly promptly.

Tiling looks ropey at that price, the cuts around the recesses in the shower are shocking, all chipped and not even been smoothed off with a diamond pad.

Soldato
Tiling looks ropey at that price, the cuts around the recesses in the shower are shocking, all chipped and not even been smoothed off with a diamond pad.
Yep that's the particularly bad area. Had I known better at the time I would have raised it!

Oh well its still all working 2.5 years on (touch wood :D) and currently selling this house.

Soldato
Yep that's the particularly bad area. Had I known better at the time I would have raised it!

Oh well its still all working 2.5 years on (touch wood :D) and currently selling this house.
i would be tempted to silicone around those recesses, will hide the chipping. Doesn't look like there is grout there anyway?

looks nice otherwise!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice all. I've managed to price up the suite from victoriana plumbing, plus tiles at about 3k.

Just need to get someone round and figure out the labour and what I can do myself first.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice all. I've managed to price up the suite from victoriana plumbing, plus tiles at about 3k.

Just need to get someone round and figure out the labour and what I can do myself first.

I think you would find it harder to find a fitter who wanted to follow up from you rather than just have the job from beginning to End. Ive followed up from others many times and it always adds time on to jobs because inevitably you want it done how you would normally do
It.

but you never know, may be able to find someone who wants a quicker in and out Job.

Soldato
Strip out is the easy part but it’s where all the unknowns are. For example, you really don’t know how well the old tiles will come off the wall. Sometimes you just need to do a little making good before tanking. Others the whole lot needs to come down and it completely boarded out from scratch.

One persons making good also isn’t the same as the next.

Soldato
Stripping out will be helpful. Not exactly a fun job, time consuming, and waste disposal is another thing to worry about. You'll get a much more accurate quote that way as the unknowns will be... well... known.

Permabanned
Go on reputation. Get some photos of their previous work. Talk to people who used them. 11K is a lot to spend on what could be a shark.

Permabanned
Oh and yes do as much as you can. In fact most of the work in fitting a new kitchen or bathroom is often preparation. Stripping everything takes time. Repairing water damaged floors etc. It's an unknown cost so builders tend to add in a fair bit to cover such unforeseen things.

Associate
OP
It's more the ripping out I would look to do myself. We have a second toilet but no second shower, so we could manage by borrowing a families, not ideal though.

But as you say it's the unknowns that worry me, last thing I want is to end up ripping stuff out then realising I've took on too much, and it inevitably ends up costing more to fix what I break

Soldato
To be honest, if you don’t have a second shower and you can’t really be without it, I’d just get someone in to do the lot.

I’m in the process of doing ours and I have already done the en-suite but as we have both it really isn’t a problem that it’s out of action for as long as it takes. Doing it at weekends means it takes a long time.

Soldato
It's more the ripping out I would look to do myself. We have a second toilet but no second shower, so we could manage by borrowing a families, not ideal though.

But as you say it's the unknowns that worry me, last thing I want is to end up ripping stuff out then realising I've took on too much, and it inevitably ends up costing more to fix what I break
You don't need to rip it out carte blanche. The key things that will contribute to progress are removing the tiles.

I had a shower in the bath setup with the bath stabilised on blocks, and the wall protected by shower curtains up the wall, for the last 2 or 3 weeks whilst I pulled my finger out to tile the blighter.

Taking the plumbing out/sink vanity etc. are diminishing returns in terms of saving time. Just do the tiles, floor and be good.

Soldato
Had 3 bathrooms done for just under £9K (edit - I previously said £7K - £8K). Hudson Reed units in the bathroom/en-suite, Tavistock units in the downstairs WC. Roca for the extras like the toilet roll holder and the shower basket you can't see in the en-suite shots.

Sourced parts and tiles myself, fitters just handled tear down, installing new stuff roughly where it was before.

Main Bathroom (3 pics because rectangular shape. L shape bath because clearance isn't fantastic to the sink. Otherwise I'd have gone for regular bath shape):

vMsCxpTh.jpg

ei9WLqYh.jpg

L07ddGsh.jpg

En-Suite:

Z6q64HEh.jpg

Downstairs:

Lvo4AUsh.jpg

Messed up a bit with the downstairs sizing, but my own fault for not checking. The toilet unit is too deep really for the space it's in, so it blocks opening the cupboards properly to it's immediate right.

I also wanted white grout in there but they put in ivory, couldn't be bothered to argue for the overall price so kept it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you mean 7 or 8k for all 3 including parts and labour? That seems incredible value and looks good too!

Yes, that is for all 3. Can't complain at the results at all! Friend of mine had his bathroom done by some proper cowboys and their results show.

End result will be a combination of the gear selected and the quality of the work done by the tradespeople.

Edit - I just did a bit of adding up, I was probably being a little optimistic at £7K-£8K.

Actual costs without adding up in my head :)

£2614.76 - Ergonomic Designs (most of the units for main bathroom and en-suite)
£634.64 - Trading Depot (all the downstairs wc units)
£642.54 - Wayfair (various rads and the shower/diverter in en-suite, for some reason cheaper)
£808.32 - Tile Mountain (approx 60sqm of tiles).
Total for parts: £4700.26

Labour for the work was around £4100 I think, so £8800 total. Round up to £9K for a few small bits I probably needed to get along the way like the radiator valves is probably fair.

Last edited:
Associate
did my main bathroom last year. did it myself apart from plumbing and electrics which was done by mates( i'm a tiler). being in the trade got really good prices on everything and materials cost for decent quality stuff was about 5k, shower over bath with combined shower/bath concealed valve and a fancy towel rail were probably the most costly things apart from the tiles. i recken if the labour was being paid for it would have probably come to about another 5k. that would also inculde it being stripped back to bare block and studs, new flooring amd a false ceiling put in and boarded and skimmed.

Don
@NoobCannon your bathroom looks excellent. Love the colours, nice and crisp and the finish looks super!

Currently getting our bathroom done. A like for like swap so no extra pipework being put in or moved.
I paid £500 for the tiles and floor tiles (Full room)
New bath, toilet and sink the whole kit was £700 from Victorian plumbing.
Labour was £2200 but cheap as through a friend.
So all in all about 3.5k for me but a lot depends on the materials you choose.

that's more like it

we having ours done soon and suggested a 5k budget all in and fitter reckons we can have the world for that

Back
Top Bottom