New budget, £10k, 5 seats, bit of poke again

Caporegime
Ok, so have a new budget of £10k, must have five seats, three door is ok though. Nothing truly mental as needs decent running costs and ideally 40MPG on a run. Sadly this means no AMG's or M cars. Most of them don't have five seats anyway so as much as I'd like an E46 M3 it is only a 2+2. And M tax scares me! Also, 2008 or newer would be good too.

Obvious option is Golf GTI Ed. 30 or Pirelli (and there's a nice blue one up on AT ATM) but is there anything else? Civic Type R doesn't really interest me in all honesty and while there are quite a few Imprezas they fall foul of the mpg requirement, as does the Mazda 3 MPS and Focus ST.

Caporegime
OP
Need something relatively quickly so that blue Pirelli, which is apparently an exceedingly rare colour going by the mark5gti list, is looking better and better. I'm just not entirely sold on DSG, I've never had an automatic other than a Pug 5008 MPV diesel rental!

Caporegime
OP
Had a quick look round a local dealer, they had an 09 civic-type-r GT in Silver with only 24k miles on it for £9k. It certainly looked the part, are they also very stiffly sprung like the bread van version?

Caporegime
OP
Hmm. Went to look at an Astra GTC 1.6 turbo (180PS) locally with only 18k miles for £9488 and it was ok, but didn't actually feel all that fast. Three doors as well but a decent amount of legroom for the kids in the back which surprised me.

There's an 09 plate White GTI at a garage in town for 9995 on 70k miles. Three years difference for the same amount of money is a pretty significant difference.

Caporegime
OP
So things are getting to the stage where I NEED one, and sadly due to work and shifts travelling isn't really possible.

This is the white Golf mentioned above. It's very clean and tidy and wears it's miles well. There's service history but nothing to show that the cambelt has ever been done so will be asking for either £500 off or they do it before I pick it up. Other than that it looks good. I'm sure I read or heard something about a belt tensioner going bad on that engine though?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom