New budget, £10k, 5 seats, bit of poke again

Caporegime
Ok, so have a new budget of £10k, must have five seats, three door is ok though. Nothing truly mental as needs decent running costs and ideally 40MPG on a run. Sadly this means no AMG's or M cars. Most of them don't have five seats anyway so as much as I'd like an E46 M3 it is only a 2+2. And M tax scares me! Also, 2008 or newer would be good too.

Obvious option is Golf GTI Ed. 30 or Pirelli (and there's a nice blue one up on AT ATM) but is there anything else? Civic Type R doesn't really interest me in all honesty and while there are quite a few Imprezas they fall foul of the mpg requirement, as does the Mazda 3 MPS and Focus ST.

Caporegime
OP
Need something relatively quickly so that blue Pirelli, which is apparently an exceedingly rare colour going by the mark5gti list, is looking better and better. I'm just not entirely sold on DSG, I've never had an automatic other than a Pug 5008 MPV diesel rental!

Soldato
2010-2011 Octavia vRS

Example: http://www.christchurchmotorcompany.co.uk/used-SKODA-OCTAVIA-Christchurch-Dorset-838519

Only criteria it doesn't strictly meet is mpg (38 average) but it does have more power than the Leon.

Nah, not for ten grand - you'd be forever disappointed with yourself every time you tried to go round corners if you've driven anything a bit less soft (and don't need to make the big boot 5 door compromise) or when you see what else ten(ish) grand can buy you.

If the likes of the Leon really is achievable it's well worth considering, fire a remap onto it and you've got a relatively modern, nippy car that looksngood for reasonable money

Need something relatively quickly so that blue Pirelli, which is apparently an exceedingly rare colour going by the mark5gti list, is looking better and better. I'm just not entirely sold on DSG, I've never had an automatic other than a Pug 5008 MPV diesel rental!

Pirelli editions are nice, but you just need to accept you're buying into what is an older car now becuse of it being a limited run. I love the seats. R.e dsg, console yourself woth the thought that if it goes really wrong it's "only" a £1500 fix rather than new engine time for an early tsi with tensioner issues.

A shame I'm about £1,500 short of a new shape Focus ST.

I went to look at a couple of focus ST estates recently and tbh i am majorly out off by the ore facelift interior. Doesn't help that it looks like our fiesta inside (which I hate the interior of) but the likes of the Leon or even the right mk5 golf looks much better and less cheap inside (even if that's not actually the case) - depends what really matters to you I suppose

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh for road use I disagree with that r.e dsg

Outside of any slight confusion the box has when slowing down / deciding to move off quickly again at really low speeds a dsg driven quickly in "manual" mode produces great shifts every time where you're average driver simply won't. Its not like you're leaving it to select gears at will

Permabanned
Tbh for road use I disagree with that r.e dsg

Outside of any slight confusion the box has when slowing down / deciding to move off quickly again at really low speeds a dsg driven quickly in "manual" mode produces great shifts every time where you're average driver simply won't. Its not like you're leaving it to select gears at will

Didnt mention any of that, just driver involvement. Manual gearbox in a hot hatch is much more fun, for the 5% of the time you could actually use it properly. :p

I do love the auto box in our car and cant fault it really but there are just times I would have liked a manual.

Soldato
I kinda wished mine was a DSG rather than manual.

Whenever I hoofed the 5 series, I could use the flappy paddles, and felt almost as involved anyway. Easy to select whatever gear you wanted for whatever exit speed you were looking at. With all the advantages of having both hands firmly on the steering wheel throughout any turning / braking.

Sure, it might take a bit of getting used to, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was any worse than a manual motor with more modern DSG type 'boxes.

Caporegime
I think a Fiesta ST will be the only car that will meet your MPG requirement, simply because it's a smaller/lighter car - I can get 40-45mpg on a run easily. I suspect it's too small for what you need, even if it has 5 seats. Leon is a good shout.

Back
Top Bottom