• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Budget PC, Which Processor?

Soldato
i3 seems to be priced higher, if a 620 is $99 then the i3s are about $150, then you have to factor in the more expensive motherboards and memory. It's hard to get an i5 build for the price without seriously compromising elsewhere.

Caporegime
i3 seems to be priced higher, if a 620 is $99 then the i3s are about $150, then you have to factor in the more expensive motherboards and memory. It's hard to get an i5 build for the price without seriously compromising elsewhere.

Processor Core Clock Cores / Threads L3 Cache Max Turbo TDP Price
Intel Core i5-670 3.46GHz 2 / 4 4MB 3.76GHz 73W $284
Intel Core i5-661 3.33GHz 2 / 4 4MB 3.60GHz 87W $196
Intel Core i5-660 3.33GHz 2 / 4 4MB 3.60GHz 73W $196
Intel Core i5-650 3.20GHz 2 / 4 4MB 3.46GHz 73W $176
Intel Core i3-540 3.06GHz 2 / 4 4MB N/A 73W $133
Intel Core i3-530 2.93GHz 2 / 4 4MB N/A 73W $113
Intel Pentium G9650 2.80GHz 2 / 2 3MB N/A 73W $87

Associate
OP
I've just seen your home cinema build thread, very jelose that you even managed to get away with it! My wife certainly wouldn't let me do that to our living room!

Associate
What is it with the intel fanboys. AMD if you want value for your money and intel if you need the processing power. I dont and dumped my intel setup for a AMD 550 rig. More that enough.

Soldato
Firstly sorry for such a long post but here goes...

A few base units that ocuk sell that may be helpfull if your not comfortable building your own, but would require you to use ur old monitor for the time being until u could get a new.

Amd base unit:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-187-OK&tool=5 £429.98 inc vat (link dos'nt show op system, but that price i listed includes it in)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-224-OK&tool=5 £429.98 inc vat (link dos'nt show op system, but that price i listed includes it in)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-192-OK&tool=5 £489.98 inc vat (link dos'nt show op system, but that price i lsted includes it in)

Intel base unit:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-198-OK&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat= £531.98 inc vat (link dos'nt show op system, but that price i listed includes it in)

Alternativly iv come up with 2 full spec shopping carts that are a full system but will require you to build, both have onboard GFX, but this can be updated in the future if required but will be enough for your needs to begin with, both slightly over budget, but they are full systems, personally i think the quad core one is better to get for not much over.

Spec 1 AMD dual core:

orlb9j.jpg

Spec 2 AMD Quad core:

nnmq81.jpg

Same sorta spec as above but with I5 stuff in comes to about £630, so thats abit of a strech (and would also need a gfx card to, so yeh amd is best route to go if building ur own for that budget)

Associate
OP
Thanks very mucgh for that, your time is appreciated as I don't yet know what to look out for, especialy when it comes to mother boards.

However, I have hit a new problem, the funds have dried up! Sadly one of my fleet of vehicles has decided that it's been neglected for too long and has thrown a wobbly that requires a few purchases to be made to fix it. I'm afraid the cars come before the computer so I'm going to have to wait.

However, I have taken on board all that you lot have tought me and will certainly be refering back to this thread when the time comes to make a purchase.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Smiler.

Back
Top Bottom