New Build - £850 Budget

Associate
Hi all,

My friend is after a new PC Build with a budget of £850.
He doesnt need Windows 10, a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

He'd like to play games on it mainly and be somewhat future proof.

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £882.50
(includes shipping: £11.70)

Bit over £850. Video card prices have gone up due to another mining craze, and it would be a pity to get lower level CPU or less RAM (for example) just to fit budget here.

Does he have anything he could re-use, like HDDs, case?

Which monitor does he have?

Is he building it himself?

Soldato
single drive option, 275gb would be enough for a short time depending on size of games and used hard drives can be had cheap enough, has a better and cheaper psu than the cx while keeping in budget.(shipping costs main reason budgets go over)

Total: £852.23
(includes shipping: £12.30)

or with a smaller ssd, but a much bigger hard drive for storage with only the shipping cost putting it over budget..

Total: £864.12
(includes shipping: £13.20)

or then theres the large storage with a small sdd performance part keeping it much under budget..

Total: £826.19
(includes shipping: £12.30)

or if it needs to be prebuilt then these would be a good shout,

• 1 x Titan Tanto Micro ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1400 system @ 3.70GHz = £835.02
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:WD Green 240GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (WDS240G1G0A)
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST1000DM010)
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 Quad Core 1400 3.40GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24
    • Case:Cougar Spike Micro-ATX Gaming Case - Black
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics card:Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  • 1 x Titan Tanto Micro ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1400 system @ 3.70GHz = £844.93
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:WD Blue 500GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (WDS500G1B0A)
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST1000DM010)
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24
    • Case:Cougar Spike Micro-ATX Gaming Case - Black
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics card:EVGA GeForce GTX 1050Ti SC Gaming 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Total: £1,703.05
(includes shipping: £23.10)

the first one has 4 core ryzen with a decent size ssd, good size storage drive and a very good 1060
or
the 2nd one has 6 core ryzen, double the size ssd, good size storage drive still, but with a 1050ti

i guess it boils down to the games going to be played and whether good storage over max performance for budget or visa versa.

Soldato
cx range has always been claimed as the 2nd worse line up from corsair(VS being 1st), ive never had issues, but i have learnt this from this very forum and i had a 520w dual rail seasonic with 480w combined which would run a 1080ti so long its all stock, but the builds are not pushing 1080ti or anywhere near it(which is only a 250w card anyways), the 1050ti is like what? a 120w card or lower and the 1060 about 150w or lower? 460w on the 12v if thats what it actually is is more than enough for the systems and not everyone cares for long warranties, so i dont factor that in.

anyways you went 31 quid over i kept to them(minus shipping), need more information from the OP for final decisions.

Associate
OP

Total: £882.50

Bit over £850. Video card prices have gone up due to another mining craze, and it would be a pity to get lower level CPU or less RAM (for example) just to fit budget here.

Does he have anything he could re-use, like HDDs, case?

Which monitor does he have?

Is he building it himself?

He wants all new parts, I tried to persuade him to use his old HDD but he doesnt want to.
I'll be building it for him, I can put them together with no problem, just not sure what the best specs are these days.

He has said he can go to £900 is needed.

In terms of a monitor, its a 1080p one, nothing fancy there.

He's just after a machine that can put out 1080p with 60fps and decent graphic settings, that'll keep him going for a year or two before he upgrades different parts.

With that in mind, is there a decent set of parts or are the ones people posted in here pretty much the same bar a few differences?

Thank you all for replying as well, sorry for my delay, been hectic and the weathers not helped!

Soldato
He wants all new parts, I tried to persuade him to use his old HDD but he doesnt want to.
I'll be building it for him, I can put them together with no problem, just not sure what the best specs are these days.

He has said he can go to £900 is needed.

Ok cool. The prices have changed today and in the steep upwards direction unfortunately. Today the cheapest GTX 1060 6GB from OcUK is £30 more expensive than yesterday's. And I think they are just going to go up until the latest mining craze crashes and/or AMD get their Vega cards out and increase production overall somehow. So my advice is to buy within next few days.

I'll do a new spec with what you can get for £900 and you can ask OcUK to price-match on some parts, or shop around.

In terms of a monitor, its a 1080p one, nothing fancy there.

He's just after a machine that can put out 1080p with 60fps and decent graphic settings, that'll keep him going for a year or two before he upgrades different parts.

If he's upgrading within a couple of years I'd recommend a 550W PSU, which will handle any single GPU card out there, so he doesn't have to get a new PSU or isn't choice-limited.

With that in mind, is there a decent set of parts or are the ones people posted in here pretty much the same bar a few differences?

Thank you all for replying as well, sorry for my delay, been hectic and the weathers not helped!

New spec:

Total: £996.53

Buy from OcUK:

team-group-vulcan-t-force-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-pc4-24000c16-3000mhz-dual-channel-kit-grey

corsair-cx550-550w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply

toshiba-p300-1tb-7200rpm-64mb-cache-high-performance-hard-drive

fractal-design-focus-g-mini-window-micro-atx-case-black

cooler-master-masterfan-pro-120-af-rgb-fan

gigabyte-ga-ab350m-gaming-3-amd-b350

Ask OcUK for price-match/shop around:

samsung-250gb-850-evo-ssd-2.5-sata-6gbps

amd-ryzen-5-six-core-1600

zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-mini-6144mb

Soldato
One thing - for the RGB mode on that Coolermaster fan to work, you need the controller or a motherboard with RGB header. You could swap the motherboard for the MSI B350M Bazooka which has RGB header, if you want. The Bazooka has white led backlight as well, to match the two front fans.

Whichever of those two motherboards you go for, I've just noticed they have only 3 fan headers, so you'll need a splitter too:

Alternatively, get the MSI B350M Mortar, which has 4 fan headers (and RGB header), so no need for splitter:

Associate
OP
One thing - for the RGB mode on that Coolermaster fan to work, you need the controller or a motherboard with RGB header. You could swap the motherboard for the MSI B350M Bazooka which has RGB header, if you want. The Bazooka has white led backlight as well, to match the two front fans.

Whichever of those two motherboards you go for, I've just noticed they have only 3 fan headers, so you'll need a splitter too:

Alternatively, get the MSI B350M Mortar, which has 4 fan headers (and RGB header), so no need for splitter:

Perfect. :)
Thank you all for the advice.
I've let him know his options and he's going to decide!

Soldato
You're welcome. The RGB fan was just something that could be done with the spare change (going by prices a couple days ago). But if you see that you can get a 1600X (instead of 1600) along with a cooler* (1600X doesn't bring one, 1600 does) for that money, then go for it and worry about a rear fan later (the included 2x120mm fans pushing air will be fine).

* Cooler must have AM4 support, or have the AM4 bracket available to purchase/add on.

Soldato
Better off with the 550w gold from super flower over the new CX if the computer will get upgraded in time wouldn't you? I know the cx is improved, but it's still not the quality of the highly recommended super flower.

Though as your friend would upgrade then you could get the 1400 4 core 8 thread(like majority i7s) processor with enough rest of the spec to get by on, but include a 1070 which then would see a better few years than the 1060 and it's only makes it £3 over budget. So maybe something like this?

Total: £903.59

If the cheaper 1070s(closer to 400 than this one) were in stock you could get the 1600x(sale means same price as none X and is an overclocked one) and perhaps change the motherboard or case.

Back
Top Bottom