New build Bios artifacts

Associate
Hi Guys,

My new build arrived today and I've been busy putting it all together in my old case. The build went smoothly and i managed to install windows 7. I'd been using it for just a few minutes when artifacts started appearing on the screen whilst i had my new graphics card fitted (HIS 7970).
I removed the graphics card and plugged the monitor directly into the motherboard DVI port to see if that would help diagnose the fault. On start up they were still present and were even present in the BIOS to the point where the screen flickered and i couldn't actually edit the BIOS as i couldn't see the settings correctly.
I left the machine off whilst i had dinner, on returning i managed to enter the BIOS and turn off on-board graphics. I then proceeded to re-insert the gfx card and boot the PC up again.
As i type i can see artifacts around the screen. surely this points to a dodgy CPU (i5-4670K) or the motherboard (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H) as the the artifacts were still visable with the graphics card not inserted and before any drivers were loaded?
The machine is currently installing all windows updates.

Any help appreciated.

Associate
CPU-Z was showing the CPU as running at 3.8-4.3 GHz and the voltage fluctuating between .8v to 1.4v. This happened without me touching the BIOS except for boot priorites.
I've restored the BIOS to default and set everything to manual and slightly under clocked until my h100 refurb arrives. I'll then have a proper look through the BIOS and have a go at overclocking once i figure out what the settings do.