New build - BOSD's

Soldato
So put together a new rig, everything seems to be running fine apart from frequent BSOD's whenever I use video streaming sites.

Errors seen are

"Kernel Security Check Failuire"
"IRQL Not Less or Equal"
"Kernel Mode Heap Corrupt"

Now from some googling these can either be memory or driver related - need to work out how to trouble shoot these. I don't "think" its memory related, as gaming performance has been rock solid, and it only happens when I open a new video streaming site, once the stream is up and running no crashes. It feels like a driver thing - as far as I'm aware I'm using the latest chipset drivers from the motherboard website - thinking of doing a BIOS update.

What are my steps here guys?

Cheers

Soldato
Download bluescreenview and have it running before you get a BSOD. Once you get a bsod it will save a log of the name of the driver/software which caused the issue, which you can then view on the program next time you open it. Then just remove/update the highlighted drivers/software etc.

Failing that you can also run memtest to check the memory overnight etc to verify all is good. And then just ensuring you have everything up to date, bios included.

Soldato
OP
As follows:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 280mm (CW-9060032-WW)

I just did 4 passes of Memtest86 and no issues were reported, again pointing me towards it being a driver thing.

I've insalled Bluescreenview so I'll wait and see what that throws out once I get a blue screen, I'll do a BIOS update tomorrow to see if that makes any difference.

Associate
As follows:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 280mm (CW-9060032-WW)

I just did 4 passes of Memtest86 and no issues were reported, again pointing me towards it being a driver thing.

I've insalled Bluescreenview so I'll wait and see what that throws out once I get a blue screen, I'll do a BIOS update tomorrow to see if that makes any difference.

I resolved my BSOD by changing PCI in BIOS to gen 3 from gen 4 and haven't had one since.

Soldato
AMD issues new BIOS update to vendors to address Boost speeds so expect in 3 weeks should have ABBA BIOS updates

also at @Rids

evoke not the best card at default

have you also tried the system at ram default 2400hz ? just to rule out timings and speed? can run tens of benchmarks but normally real world highlights any flaws etc

Associate
I had the same issue and as I always have atleast 1 browser window open I had no idea it was browser related. Turns out it's AMD Radeon drivers don't like hardware acceleration for browser's, especially youtube. After I turned it off in firefox it's been rock solid.

Edit: 19.9.2 driver's supposedly fix this.

-System instability may be experienced on some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics system configurations when watching video content in a web browser.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll try updating the drivers, and then if that doesn't work I'll turn off hardware acceleration!

Cheers for all the help so far fellas.

Back
Top Bottom