New build completed

Associate
After the good reaction I got when I posted in GD I thought I'd make a little build log from start to finish.

It's been about two years in the making since first applying for planning permission.
Luckily I didn't need to go down the self-build mortgage route as the devlopment company were footing the bill until the complete certificate was issued.
The development company let me chose what ever I wanted.
So I set up a meeting with the builders they were using and told them what I wanted (double height ceiling and windows in lounge with upper mezz level and a huge garage. Gave them my budget and they took it to their architect and here we are.

As it stands just now there is 3 bedrooms, 1 study, 1 Shower room + an ensuite.
Future plans is to add more bedrooms(cinema maybe) and a huge bathroom in the space above the utility and garage. There's approx 67 Sq/m to use up there.

The only problem I have now is deciding on furniture.

I'll let the photos do the talking.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The frame was actually build by the local builders who did it to the architects drawings :)
I looked at scotframe etc but the cost of delivery to Shetland far exceeded getting it bespoke

Associate
Wow. Just wow. I've often though how great it would be to design and build my own.
Air source heating as well, with some solar you could be half off the grid :)

Suspended
Can you give us an idea of how severe the winters are there? How did the design of the house take shape with insulation etc in mind?

Stunning build - sincerely, well done. I'd be interested to know more about life there generally as well.

Caporegime
That's how it's done. I should imagine you and yours will be very happy there.

Is that an unvented hot water system? Looks like a 300L tank, but what's that smaller tank to its right (not the expansion vessel, the medium sized one)? Accumulator? Is water pressure low there?

Soldato
Had a look around the area on google earth, i could get used to it, gets you away from the pond life you see in the city.
Whats the area like for power cuts, do you have a back up or just ride it out.

Soldato
Is that an unvented hot water system? Looks like a 300L tank, but what's that smaller tank to its right (not the expansion vessel, the medium sized one)? Accumulator? Is water pressure low there?

I expect the smaller one will be a buffer tank for what looks like an air source heat pump.

It would be interesting to get more information on the heating system.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Where's the front door? I came here looking for an entrance.

I don't see to have any good photos of the entrance, but it's just to the right of the van.
14536658_1583405698635198_492866852_o.jpg

Are you able to share more about the process you went through to acquire the land and gain permission etc?

It was actually relatively simple a local civil and marine engineering company were branching out into housing and had bought the land from a farmer and applied for planning for the roads and 8 plots.
The architect then took care of everything for me, planning permission for the house, building warrant etc.

timber cladding or cedral board?

In hindsight cedral would have been better as it doesn't require any maintenance I'm led to believe? or at least as much as timber but it would have put the costs too high for me.

Amazing! Where is this? And do mind if I ask how much this cost?

It's in the Shetland Islands, 50k for the plot and 200k roughly for the house. This includes all services, landscaped garden, fencing and tarring.

Had a look around the area on google earth, i could get used to it, gets you away from the pond life you see in the city.
Whats the area like for power cuts, do you have a back up or just ride it out.

The area has everything I need, new co-op, 2 pubs, Indian and Britains best chippy in uk(2015) and two hotel restaurants.
Shetland's main town in 15 minutes in car.
Power cuts are pretty rare, I'd say maybe one a year in my area and don't usually last more than 12hours
When this is the weather report what do you expect ;):D
Screen_Shot_2017_01_11_at_13_10_41.png

It would be interesting to get more information on the heating system.

I have the company coming round to show me what and how everything works, so I will get back to you on this.

Panasonic Air to water heating system (ground floor underfloor heat and 2 radiators upstairs)
Paul HRV heat recovery system

Soldato
This looks incredible. I love the double height glazing looking out to sea. What fantastic views! It looks as though you've got a very modern and efficient setup which seems sensible in Shetland!

Soldato
In hindsight cedral would have been better as it doesn't require any maintenance I'm led to believe? or at least as much as timber but it would have put the costs too high for me.

yeah, it's not cheap for that kind of area! I was just interested as I wouldn't put any horizontal natural timber onto a house in a coastal location anywhere in scotland but as long as you keep up the maintenance i'm sure it will be fine!
looks like a decent job tho, did you appoint the architect directly or was it all done through the contractor?

Associate
OP
yeah, it's not cheap for that kind of area! I was just interested as I wouldn't put any horizontal natural timber onto a house in a coastal location anywhere in scotland but as long as you keep up the maintenance i'm sure it will be fine!
looks like a decent job tho, did you appoint the architect directly or was it all done through the contractor?

Timber clad houses are actually very common in Shetland so hopefully it's tried and tested method. I do see a few cedar type and composite cladding these days though.
It was mostly all done through the builder, but I did speak to the architect directly a few times regarding changes and just CC'd the builder in on the emails for the cost.

Thanks to this thread I've spent several hours over the past couple of days searching for land in Shetland and Orkney, daydreaming!

Although it's quite modern these days it's still a different lifestyle to what most are used to.
I work offshore and occasionally co-workers from scotland/england get night-stopped in Shetland due to weather and they just can't comprehend living anywhere like it.
West coast of Scotland on the otherhand is absolutely stunning, and easier to get to main cities when needed ;)

Soldato
Timber clad houses are actually very common in Shetland so hopefully it's tried and tested method. I do see a few cedar type and composite cladding these days though.
It was mostly all done through the builder, but I did speak to the architect directly a few times regarding changes and just CC'd the builder in on the emails for the cost.

Yeah, I use timber cladding a lot for houses, but tend to try and use a cedar/larch in vertical overlapping - had a couple of bad experiences with horizontal weatherboarding on the west coast so just don't do that anymore!
bloody good effort tho! I long for the day I have enough money to build my own house rather than fixing up old ones...

Back
Top Bottom