New build due to Spectre/meltdown, yes or no

cbr

cbr

Associate
Hi Folks,

Currently have a 4790 system, but its been starting to feel sluggish, in some of the stuff I do
(maybe MS meltdown patch didn't help)
What worries me is, Asus have no bios update for my Maximus Ranger Z97 and not likely to ether,

So should I be worried or hold off a while longer and hope the whole spectre thing wont get me lol

I'd be thinking of a new 8700K build if i was to go ahead.

Thanks for any input

cbr

cbr

Associate
OP
Hi Roy, Thanks for the input.

So just to be clear, is that a yes upgrade, but wait to see what the new AMD brings.
Or
No don't upgrade unless the new Amd is better than a 8700K

cbr

cbr

Associate
OP
Hi Tamzzy,
Maybe sluggish is the wrong word, but it's not as nappy as it once was.
I do a bit of video / pic editing, along with all the rest of the stuff everyone does, and the odd game.
i'v noticed it more over the last while, but even if I wher to live with it, the whole spectre issues worry me, and there is no bios update for my board.

Man of Honour
So should I be worried or hold off a while longer and hope the whole spectre thing wont get me lol

For most home users as long as you ensure you are using a browser that has been patched against these exploits they really shouldn't be an issue for you. I wouldn't let this put you off upgrading to current CPUs, etc.

However caveat to that - if you do anything with Virtual Machines where security is a concern i.e. testing software before using it or to debug malware, etc. or a system where users can log in remotely then the hardware patches are pretty much essential and if you are testing malware you really want to be using a sacrificial, air gapped, system any how.

cbr

cbr

Associate
OP
Hi Rroff, thank for the input
its not putting me off a new cpu / board, as they should have a bios patch. thats the trouble with the board I have now there are no bios patches.
My point of the post was, if I upgrade then surely i will be better protected, and my system I feel isn't as snappy as it once was.

Man of Honour
Windows 10? seems to feel more and more sluggish with each update - a refresh of the install helps a bit if its an older install that has been updated over the top several times but doesn't seem to completely sort it :(

cbr

cbr

Associate
OP
it's Win7, I always try to keep the crap & bloat out, to be honest not a lot of stuff on it, So a fresh install I dont think would help all that much,

Back
Top Bottom