New build flat - sooo cold

Soldato
See if you can hire a thermal imaging camera for a day (or even a few hours) that will be able to show you all the cold spots in your home so you can concentrate on fixing the main issues. Or you could get one of those laser thermometers, however you would have to physically hunt out the cold spots by testing everywhere as its not right there in front of you.

I actually own a TI camera and was shocked to discover just how terrible my front door was, despite it being a four year old property. The internal walls were fine at around 20degrees, but the front door was 4degrees which pretty much negated the good work the walls were doing. Put a new seal on the frame, and insulated it with a double layer of thin reflective foil insulation designed for going behind radiators and its now sitting at 16 degrees which makes a hell of a difference.

I was also able to see that the very bottom of the walls were leaking heat, so when I was installing a new floor, I was able to remove the skirting board and stuff some rock wool behind the plasterboard which again helped.

Permabanned
I only use them when I am in. So down stairs from 6pm-1am week days and all day on the weekend and my electricity bill is £80 a month. But I only have two in the house, one bedroom. The one in the bed room i only need to put on when it gets about cold. I wouldn't mind one for the bathroom but that only has a towel heater which sucks.

Back
Top Bottom