New build for VR focused PC

Associate
Hi there folks. It's been a VERY long time since I've looked into building a new PC so I think this time I may just leave it to the experts.

I basically want a decent VR gaming system mainly to play & stream Elite Dangerous in VR and any other good VR games i discover along the way. I have a 2nd PC which would be a streaming machine.

I may just have the CPU water-cooled only as in future if I want to change the gfx card I won't need to return it to OC.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Tech Labs Watercooled KabyLake Z270 Pro Gaming PC Configurator = £3,534.50
    • Case:Aerocool P7-C1 Midi Tower Tempered Glass Edition - Black
    • Motherboard:Asus ROG Maximus IX Formula Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    • Processor:Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
    • Case Lighting:NZXT Hue+ RGB Dual Channel LED Controller - Black
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • CPU Overclock:Intel Kabylake Overclock - 4.8GHz
    • Graphics Card:Asus GeForce Strix GTX 1080 8GB with Nickel Plexi EK Waterblock - Configurator
    • CPU Waterblock:XSPC RayStorm Pro WaterBlock (Intel) - Black
    • Fluid Colour:2xMayhems Pastel - Yellow Coolant 1L
    • Tubing Colour:2xEK Water Blocks EK-Duraclear Tubing 16/11 - Clear 1M
    • EK Fittings Colour:EK Black Fitting Bundle - Dual Rad, CPU, VGA, Pump, Res
    • Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK32GX4M2A2
    • Speakers:Unwanted
    • Monitor:Samsung S24D330H 24" 1920x1080 TN Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
    • Gaming Chair:Unwanted
    • Soundcard:Unwanted
    • Network Adapter:Unwanted
    • Power Supply:Corsair RM Series RM1000X '80+ Gold' 1000W Modular Power Supply (CP-9020094-UK)
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected**:Unwanted
    • Solid State Drive 1:Samsung 1.0TB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E1T0B/EU)
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Headset:Unwanted
    • Keyboard:Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED, Cherry MX RGB Red (CH-9101010-UK )
    • Mouse:Cougar MINOS X3 Optical USB Gaming Mouse
Total: £3,548.60 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh Didn’t know there was newer processors available. I was just going by what is offered on the OC website. I built a system 7 yrs ago (with pre built water cooling on cpu) & it’s still going strong just not enough power for VR.

Done another build based on the ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA INTEL Z370 Mobo, any good? is the Z370 chipset the latest?

Just spotted the CosAir CPU cooler which looks cool with the RGB lighting on :D

@lee32uk I was on the forums many yrs ago when i was researching and building my current system, i think i even did a project build on it at the time but I guess there was a forum wipe or something

Associate
OP
Revised build CODENAMED: "Virtual HiVE!"

Trying to decide on case, k/b & mouse. Also not sure if I want to go with the 3 or 2 fanned CorsAir RGB Cooler.

Anyone wanna give me suggestions on cases? nice midi case with side window & controlled RGB lighting.

Also any issues with this build? just want it decently fast for VR and gaming for the most part.

Cheers ö7
Total: £2,490.38 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hey thanks for the heads up on the VR port on the front panel.

and oh DAMN those Team Group memory sticks, HOLY COW!!! They any good though? Never heard of them before but then again I have been out of the PC building game for a good few yrs now.

thanks again ö7

Associate
OP
Sorry its been a little while but I've updated my VR Build alittle, only thing is I don't know which case will be able to handle the Corsair Hydro CPU H150i cooler. Want to be able to have the cooler at the top or front of the case.

Any recommendations, must have RGB or a splash of yellow.

Also looking for a decent monitor. any problems with this build compatibility problems with the hardware?

Looking to build this thing the end of Feb / start of March

Total: £2,374.89 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
@Jay Blizzay Why not the Corsair PSU? I've got one in my +7yr old i7 and never had a problem with it *touch wood*

Anymore shots of the Dark Base 700 out there? esp with the Corsair Hydro H150i or the Corsair Hydro 115i

Associate
OP
Now CPU Coolers, I abit of a freak for the RGB type stuff, when I built my current system there was no RGB stuff and had made my own kinda.

Is there any big difference between the Corsair HYDRO H115I PRO RGB PERFORMANCE LIQUID COOLER - 280MM or KRAKEN X62 AIO WATER COOLING UNIT - 280MM

Personally I'm liking the RBG control of the Kraken, would like the Corsair more if the actual CPU mount was all black instead of silver.

Sorry for the questions as i'm just getting back into building PC and I'm very far behind :D

Thanks ö7

Associate
OP
Hey there folks, I know its been awhile since I've even checked or posted but I was kinda waiting to see what the next GFX cards was gonna offer as well if there was going to be a big jump in chipsets for intel. Almost decided it won't be worth me waiting for the chipset update as I will be waiting forever pushing my build back as there are always updates on the horizon.

Here is my current build minus Gfx Card as I can use my current Geforce 970Strix til I decide on the 1080Ti or 2080Ti and next gen VR headset come out next yr.

Seems at the moment OC is out of stock of memory. I want atleast 32Gb memory, RGB addressable (VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHZ QUAD CHANNEL MEMORY KIT (CMR32GX4M4C360) is my thinking.

The PSU may get changed out as its been suggested in the past that Corsair PSU's are abit funky.

Total: £1,580.24 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

Associate
OP
You have any idea when the new stuff will be available for to purchase & rough pricing?

Looking particularly at Asus mobos as I’ve never had a problem with them over the years and would like to stick with them if possible.

Associate
OP
So if I read you right if I get the very latest Asus Maximus X hero Z370 it’s possible that it may be upgradable to z390 with a bio flash to take the next gen processors?

Associate
OP
oooo a Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 looks sexy with the new i7-9700K to go with it. Plus holding off on gfx card til I see how RTX & GTX are going to work out. Thanks for the heads up on holding off, I knew somehting was coming just getting abit inpatient and wanting to get stuck in there :D

Associate
OP

Wow is this a new bundle cause I pretty much pieced what i listed from what i had read up on over the last +6 months. Good to know my research came up with the same kind aof system even the proper PC builders come up with. Would there be a big difference between this and the new Z390's or very slight but huge price difference atleast in the beginning?

Associate
OP
Question. can I just stick an i9 processor in the same mobo? I'm new to PC building again so don't know if processors are different sizes with i7 and i9's

Will the Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 take the i9's too?

Associate
OP
Update to my future build. I will be using my current Asus GFX 970 Strix til the prices of Asus RTX 2080Ti get sensible and go VR aswell.

I know the first thing was recommended is to change the PSU to a different brand, I may also want to up the wattage of it too.

I want this system to be fast & efficient. Hopefully this will be my last shopping list as I'm pretty much ready to buy this puppy.

Anybody heard of the Asus ROG Thor 850W PSU or the FOCUS PLUS 850W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY? or any other recommended 850+ PSU?

Total: £2,135.23 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Associate
OP
Ok I may be alittle picky but this kinda caught my eye when test mounting the Antec HCG Gold 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply.
Where I screw in the PSU housing from the H500 Mesh, it looks to me like the top left screw is pushing against something inside the PSU. Short video of what I'm talking about and would like advice. I haven't powered it at all as still waiting to order the rest of of the rig.

Should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom