• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New build from overclockers, worried CPU may be too hot.

Associate
I received my new rig a couple weeks back and I've been very impressed so far, but I have noticed that the CPU gets a little hot when I'm playing games [CSGO, Rome 2].

I have the i5 4670k at standard speeds with a Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 High Performance Quiet CPU Cooler to keep it cool, but I've seen temperatures go slightly over 70 at times.

Is this normal for this CPU at standard speeds?

RJC

RJC

Don
Sorry, meant What system did you buy, ie was it a full system build or motherboard bundle - It might be worth sticking a note in the customer section if the CPU cooler might become dislodged during transit.

Associate
70 degrees is still a safe temperature, albeit when talking about a pretty decent overclock, of at least 4.2-4.3 GHz. Even though the Arctic cooler is not top of the line, it should still keep temperatures low.

Also, the "silicon lottery" might mean that you ended up with a slightly under-performing chip, which requires a bit more voltage (and consequently generates more heat) to get to the target overclock.

Try running prime95, and tell us what speed your CPU reaches, as well as maximum voltage. Use CPU-Z, as suggested above.

Back
Top Bottom