new build help.

Associate
Have you got an old PCI GFX card knocking about?

You can get them for a couple of quid on Ebay, or you could even try going down the local PC shop and see if they've got any. It would help determine which is at fault.

Associate
Its right to add the 4pin to the 20 one to make it an 24 make sure all power outlets have something on them (you got told about the 4 pin molex but there might be one for an floppy too plug that in also) does the graphics card fan spin up?

Associate
OP
no i havent got an old pci card, and have no computer shops nearby to try theirs. I don't have a floppy drive so don't need to plug that in.

Yes the graphics card does spin.

I have e-mailed ocuk to see what they can suggest, i believe that the graphics card was a return anyway. When i opened the box the inside cardboard had been ripped, also where the exhaust is on the end of the card, this was bent out of shape!!

Associate
It's the same connector you use for the floppy drive, so use any spares ones that come from the PSU. If there isn't anywhere on the motherboard that needs that type of connector then you obviously don't need to plug it in.

EDIT: Looking at a close up picture of the MB, it doesn't look like you need to use an FDD power connector. Just make sure the molex is plugged in next to one of the PCI-e 16x slots.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I suggest you have a look on Ebay and buy a cheap 2MB GFX card. If that doesn't work once you've plugged it in to your MB then you can be pretty certain it's the fault of the MB.

EDIT: I found one that costs £3.49 including postage but I'm not supposed to post the link. How come I can't send private messages?

Last edited:
Associate
slothmeister said:
cool, back to the problem in hand, my psu has the option to split or combine the 12v rail, it's currently set to split, could this be anything to do with it?

Possibly, I think those Tagens have a maximum output of 36Amps. ATI recommend using atleast a 38Amp PSU with the X1900s.

Associate
OP
if ocuk offer to take back the motherboard can i ask to get a refund or can i exchange it for a different board. (providing that's the problem of course)

If so are there any other boards out there that don't seem to have as many problems as i have heard with this one, but offer the same sort of things, so crossfire etc, at around the same sort of price.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom