New build house postcode problems

Associate
We are due to move into a new build house in November so I have been trying to get quotes on things like home and car insurance, getting broadband and also sky tv.
The trouble is none of the websites recognise my postcode so I am unable to get anywhere unless you phone up and spend ages waiting for someone to actually talk to. I have put an enquiry in with the Post office and they say the postcode and address is not the system and I just need to inform them when we move in.
Anyone else had these problems and how did you resolve it??

thanks

Associate
Expect problems until you complete at which point the address will go live on various national systems and work nomally. Check with builder what broadband / phone equipment they are putting in. Some stick fibre in but others use cheap non copper phone cable which is a right mess!

Associate
OP
Hopefully they are using fibre as it says the media hub on the living room is wired for both virgin and sky..
Not sure they will have a clue if I asked them. They were not sure what utility companies we would be using the when I asked about that.

Associate
New builds nowadays will have fibre installed straight in to the house sometimes on the day they are signed off as complete.
The postcode will depend on the builder, you could call them and ask if they have been set up/finalised.
Who is the builder?

The only other thing I would say which is unrelated to either of your queries is to go over absolutely everything with a fine tooth comb before you take the keys/complete, any painting needs doing (cutting in not done to your satisfaction for example), any screws loose, any dents, in the plasterboard or doors or window boards, kitchen doors not square raise it and get them to fix it.

Associate
Most new builds dont have fibre installed*, chances are its just face plates just labelled sky and virgin (pic available?). Is there a dish on the roof (unlikely, if so it would be connected to the sky labelled outlet).
Sky use openreach they only allocate a fibre connection (fttc) when an order is placed by sky.
Do you have a road name / number yet? If so try and contact virgin to see if virgin really has been connected.
Post office supplies post codes not the builder, there will be a delay in the various databases being updated so even when you do have a post code a lot of organisations wont find it.

*unless your in some special trial area

After you move in, you have a set time period in which to notify the builder of any defects that need remedying (snaglist). As thezappa says finetooth comb time.
All painted surfaces up to scratch, all plug sockets level, you get the picture.

Who is the builder?

Last edited:
Soldato
From the new builds I have seen on site and off plan don't have fibre installed to the property. Infact some aren't even in a area covered by FO broadband.

Associate
OP
The builder is Bellway homes.
We have not been inside the house yet but should be in the next week or so.. Move in date is November so it won't be finished inside but I will be checking the quality of what they have done so far..
Will definitely have a very close look when we go in about a week before completion and will pick up everything.. I found some faults in the show home so hopefully the have upped the quality since that was built.

Soldato
It's a common problem with new builds because they're usually only shown as plot addresses. Until the correct address and postcode is listed with the post office you will hit walls.

Soldato
A lot of new builds now have fibre installed and no capability for BT etc. Therefore you are stuck with the same provider. For ever. And ever.

Back in 2011 I just used the next nearest postcode until the addresses were eventually registered and showing on the Post Office Website.

As above, I have fibre installed directly to the ONT. I have a few options for ISP's but they are not 'mainstream' and all run on Independent Fibre Network.

Perfectly happy with the service mind. BT were happy to carry out a survey at my cost :rollseyes: and other companies still leaflet the area despite not providing coverage.

For things like furniture deliveries etc just be prepared to put up with a little hassle while drivers struggle to find you. Leave a number and have them call when they are close.

Hitman
Soldato
We have FTTP via IFNL (same as BennyC, different developer though from memory). No other choices here - it's very much a monopoly. BT (therefore Sky, Plus Net, etc) and Virgin are locked out of the development. Prices aren't bad mind and the connection is decent.

I contacted Royal Mail once we moved in informing them of so, and they added the address to their database. Started showing on their website a few days later. I also managed to get our street added onto Google Maps hoping some delivery drivers might check that if they couldn't find it!

Most delivery companies have had no issue in finding the house. I have a friend who delivers for Argos and apparently they, at least, have some kind of list of alternate postcodes they can use. Sometimes I've had drivers ring me questioning the address but I just give them the nearest postcode which works.

The only issues I've had with deliveries have been with 'Amazon Logistics' - one delivery went to a different street (the chap was nice enough to pop round with the parcels) and I have no idea where 2 others went. I get Amazon stuff sent to their 'Amazon Locker' now.

I didn't start updating my addresses until it passed through the Royal Mail system which in the end was only 2 weeks or so. The only companies I couldn't update it on, even 2 months after moving, was Santander and DVLA. Sorted Santander by going in branch but not tried DVLA since July.

Associate
Fibre to premises is something I've been mulling over on a greenfield 36 plot housing development I'm hoping to do.
Fibre cabinet is around 50 mtrs from site and a FTP goes through the said field to a business park I own.
I see FTP premises as a must when it is so near to hand and a great selling point as it's something I would like in a new build.
As yet I've not looked into the mechanics of how offering this would work, so any pointers or info would be great.

Man of Honour
The paint will be the cheapest nastiest paint that they can find. Sure you can get it patched up, but it's worth waiting for 2 years for shrinkage to finish and then getting it painted yourself with some decent stuff.

You'll get address problems for several months even after you move in, unfortunately you just have to put up with it. Things like the energy supply will be a pain as well.

Associate
OP
I am sure you are right and the cheapest materials will be used. I am not a diy fan so have no plans to do much decorating.
I did speak to someone a few weeks back who said they were told not to store stuff in the loft and the joists use are not strong enough to support it.. I hope that is not true..

Man of Honour
I am sure you are right and the cheapest materials will be used. I am not a diy fan so have no plans to do much decorating.
I did speak to someone a few weeks back who said they were told not to store stuff in the loft and the joists use are not strong enough to support it.. I hope that is not true..

Regarding the joists, I have empty boxes only in my loft. You can get them boarded, loads of companies advertise it or you can DIY it. However, I was sent this by a conveyancer friend of mine.

In most homes, the existing timber joists that form the "floor" of the loft space ( i.e. the ceiling of the rooms below) will not have been designed to support a significant weight (known as "load"). The joists tie the pitched members of the roof together to prevent them spreading and support the ceiling lining of the rooms below.

An excessive additional load, for example from storage, it may mean that the joists are loaded beyond their design capacity. If you decide to lay flooring boards over the existing joists in the loft space, then this may require a Building Regulations Application to Building Control. Your local Building Control body will be able to advise you on this issue.

I'm considered doing mine, but I can't be bothered myself and I was quoted about £600 to do it. That would pay for a decent shed!

Associate
OP
Regarding the joists, I have empty boxes only in my loft. You can get them boarded, loads of companies advertise it or you can DIY it. However, I was sent this by a conveyancer friend of mine.

I'm considered doing mine, but I can't be bothered myself and I was quoted about £600 to do it. That would pay for a decent shed!

I have not been told this about our build so it might be ok.. It should not be an issue for a while as it is only 2 of us in a 3 bed house so plenty of room..

Man of Honour
Ha, it was just me in a 4 bed and I thought that, but I still find myself needing more space. Now my mate has moved in it's even worse as I've lost a double bedroom that was full of boxes etc before. Really should clear stuff out!

Soldato
I moved into a new build Auguest 2015, expect the address to not be registered for around 6 months if my experience is any thing to go by.

It didn't really impact me as I put addresses in manually.

oh and my FTTP install took 12 weeks after completion.

Associate
I have not been told this about our build so it might be ok.. It should not be an issue for a while as it is only 2 of us in a 3 bed house so plenty of room..
I was told the same about using the loft.
Btw, how long did you finally wait to get the majority of sites to recognise your address? Got the keys on Friday past, address put on Royal Mail system at the weekend but Amazon doesn't recognise the postcode.

Soldato
It took me between 3 and 6 months for the majority of websites to finally have my address listed correctly after moving in. That was in 2015 for me, i did the form with Royal Mail myself as it was a self build but i imagine your developer will be doing that for you.

Back
Top Bottom