New build - i7

Soldato
3570k is struggling to keep up after 6 years and it's time for an upgrade, which means essentially an entire new computer.

I have a GTX 1070 G1 and 2 SSDs I will be keeping, everything else is being replaced, so I decided to go for an entirely new build but have no idea where to start!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-62g-in.html

Have my eye on this i7, and would like advice on the rest of the components needed to get it all going and/or a better Intel CPU suggestion, budget is £1,000 - £1,500. i7 only.

Totally new machine minus GPU and storage! Including case, PSU etc. and looking for aftermarket air cooling but nothing extreme, just decent quality that beats shoddy Intel air cooling. Your suggestion is likely going to be emailed to OcUK and assembled, because changing to my i5 years ago about gave me a heart attack. :D

Cheers

Soldato
OP
You need to wait another 8 weeks for the release of Zen 2 - rumours are getting stronger (not necessarily more reliable) that it's going to be a complete game changer. Either way the 7700K is not a path you should be considering.

Suggest you go to the CPU forum and look at the AMD ZEN 2 Thread to pick up the vibe - flick to last 10 pages for latest intel (not the company).
Problem with AMD is I've been stung by their CPUs in the past, I'd only ever consider a GPU from them now, but I'll have a looksee. Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Since the release of Ryzen the scenery has changed - plus the narrative that goes with it.

Even if you don't decide to go the Ryzen route, you would still be best served to wait as prices should go into flux - and you should benefit either way. But the 7700K is 'dead in the water' as an upgrade path - you should be looking at minimum 6 core Coffee Lake (8700) if considering INTEL.

Kinda benchmarks are the latest AMD throwing out? Though the older chipsets boasted some intimidating benchmarks in various programs but in reality were abysmal in actual games, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't heard some genuinely good things about everything post piledriver/bulldozer disaster.

Soldato
OP
:p what's your monitor ?

Also what's the use of your pc ?

Monitor is HANNspree something something 2560x1440, and it's used only for gaming!
Your budget easily allows for a 9900k setup.

How so? You can get the rest of the PC for 1k? Don't all the little bits you need add up? I guess already having a 1070 is a big deal with all that mining stuff, probably cuts down on the total by a lot.

Could you show me an example? Last I looked those things were damn near £700
Yes, INTEL is still king with gaming - especially when put against the wall with single threaded games and the 9900K wears the crown.

But, again, with future consoles adopting 8 cores and AMD flavoured chips (lower speeds) - optimisation and the benefits of more than 4 cores with future releases should see Ryzen come into its own - even if zen 2 were not to fully deliver.

I'm not suggesting you buy a 2000 series CPU - i'm urging that you wait for Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000). If you've browsed the thread you will know that there's tangible hope/hype that the 3700(sic), 12c/24t will be hitting close to 9900K speeds - and for most users the 3600(sic) will suffice 8c/16t. And if AMD stick to their predictable aggressive pricing there's a chance that all of us who have waited will be quids-in - plus new tech to play with and nurture (and that could be the case if it follows Ryzen's initial release). Here's some unverified data - Clicky - but the leaks keep coming and they're all leading to the same conclusion. One would think AMD would dampen expectations if it was completely off the mark...

I realise that Piledriver/Bulldozer left an aftertaste - but Ryzen 1xxxx and 2xxx have performed incredibly, comparatively, for the price compared to INTEL. If Zen 2 reaches even close to that 15% mark - we the consumers will be very happy bunnies.

@orbitalwalsh - don't bring me down with resellers :D

Ryzen is sounds pretty good but 'close to' 9900K speeds aren't very appealing, I upgrade my CPU about every 6-10 years and my GPU every 5-6, so a few hundred more on a purchase every 6-10 isn't much of a big deal to me tbh, I have no reason to save here and there at a risk when I basically never upgrade, may as well do it right even if its £200 more for 5% better performance, I don't mind that. Especially neutralizing the risk of the AMD CPU just not getting along with whatever game I play. I always seemed to get into the specific games that the Athlon and Bulldozer could not handle, not through lack of power, but through some weird voodoo they would fail horribly. Ever since I got a 3570k everything worked, every single game!

Now I get what you're saying, Ryzen might even objectively be the better choice, but I'm an idiot so I'll probably get a 9900k as I can get one apparently, which kind of excites me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you so much guys, not going to upgrade GPU as I'm only on 1440p and had no issues with it - he's only 3 years old I can't throw him out yet, 5 year minimum tenancy :p ... plus swapping out GPUs is doable for me, so I don't mind doing that in a few years.
Is this a full PC except drives and GPU? Aren't their supposed to be like, wires and stuff? Lmao exactly why I'm getting it built!

Can't be changing to i9 now, I'm afraid. It's the rules.

IT IS AN i9! I never even realized, thought it was a i7 9900k. This is new levels of excitement :eek:

That's almost double 5 :cool:

I had no clue the i9 was even a thing, sounds like some over the top cpu for running a server or something, even though it aint.

Soldato
OP
Sod them, direct all your thanks this way! :D (Although, good spot by @Danny75)

Hey! I didn't even know the i9 was a thing until someone said haha, but thank you :D

All cables come with motherboard and case - and if pre-built you'll need to be sure to ask for you sata leads/cables as you will be fitting your drives?

Would the cables in my current PC not be enough? There is one going into the motherboard and one going into the PSU right? I'll have to look. Being honest though, I just plugged the SSDs in and they kinda just... hang out, yeah that's the word for it.

Yep, although the addition of the 2070 would be a nice jump if you have the funds at 1440p.

Even now I can keep 144fps in near enough every game unless it wants something out of the CPU, a big reason for the upgrade was that in anything CPU intensive I saw bad chugging and stuttering, It is definitely a lack of CPU power and it is very noticeable in the two main games I play which are Kenshi and Black Desert.

Soldato
OP
Shhh - people never read the full thread - act like you knew all along.

Have you heard about those i9 processors?! Wow.

You will need the extra cables for your modular PSU - i'm sure they will supply these. Case cables pre-attached to case - but will have other bits'n'bobs which i'me sure they'll add. As for SATA cables and motherboard extras - i would still ask for them - but again they probably supply them. Doesn't hurt to remind OcUK that you will want all superfluous fittings...

Actually I just thought about Windows, isn't your copy of Windows tied to your motherboard or something odd like that? Ending up with no OS could be a problem.

Doobly-what-now? At 1440p?

Yeah no joke, since I got a 144hz monitor I've played DMC5, Re2, Kenshi (altho it chugs) and BDO (dips in cities) and all solid 144fps. So near enough!

EDIT:
Oh, and ask for some free zip ties along with the Haribo.
To keep the SSDs stable or did something just go over my head?

Soldato
OP
i7 out of i9 cats will have. (poor pun)

Depends if it's an OEM or retail copy. That said, i've never had a problem moving Windows from different computers - via Microsoft chat or phone call, just blag it. If not buy a cheap key from bay ~£10.

I've tied my Win10 to my email so even if it flags my motherboard on the computer swap I think I can just sign into Outlook through Windows Update and it will authenticate.

Ah, you mean they're running on your 144Hz monitor - you won't be getting a steady 144FPS on all titles, far from it, with settings on ultra (Your GPU bound games will have far less average. Although, I don't recognise some of the titles). Try running MSI after burner or see if the games have an in game FPS display - or benchmark. I'm afraid you'll be slightly disappointed at your actual, average FPS if you play on ULTRA in RE2 (if the remake version) - Google YouTube RE2 GTX 1070 1440p. Look up BDO gameplay at 1440p on a 1070 too *Some of the other games look CPU bound - but i'm not a gamer...

Your 1440p - 144Hz monitor would benefit more from a 9700K and a RTX 2070 combo (if funds were an issue), unless you plan to upgrade GPU soon? That said if you play mostly niche games with low quality GFX and are mostly CPU bound this wouldn't be such an issue...

EDIT: I tried getting some RE2 examples - but gameplay in examples were too different for comparison. So below is a comparison of the 1070 with the RTX 2070 in 7 popular games to give you an idea of expected FPS in top tier games *You're only interested in the 1440p examples:

Ah, I'm not playing them on Ultra, settings are customized to hit 144fps. They do chug sometimes though, Re2 is flawless in the campaign but the 4th survivor and ghost survivors chug a lot because of the speed you run through the levels, and I think that is something to do with the 3570k struggling to load all the enemigos and rooms as you speed through. Kenshi is 144fps solid when a cell is loaded, problem is the game is bigger than the Isle of Wight so it's split up into hundreds of cells and when each loads up the FPS gets murdered for a few seconds, especially on triple game speed. Again I blame that on the 3570k. Devil May Cry 5 is flawless though, the optimization in the game is nuts.

The 2070 is definitely a monster but I don't have any desire to upgrade yet. I went from a Radeon 4850 to a GTX670 to a GTX1070 and each was a biiiig jump, much more than 30% and it felt amazing :D

To tidy cables - so they're not hanging - as you will have a windowed case (but was more a comment in jest).

**Excuse all the edits - working late on something else, at the same time, while still drinking like it's a Friday night...

Honestly thought you meant to zip tie my gonads LOL

Back
Top Bottom