New build - i7

Soldato
3570k is struggling to keep up after 6 years and it's time for an upgrade, which means essentially an entire new computer.

I have a GTX 1070 G1 and 2 SSDs I will be keeping, everything else is being replaced, so I decided to go for an entirely new build but have no idea where to start!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-62g-in.html

Have my eye on this i7, and would like advice on the rest of the components needed to get it all going and/or a better Intel CPU suggestion, budget is £1,000 - £1,500. i7 only.

Totally new machine minus GPU and storage! Including case, PSU etc. and looking for aftermarket air cooling but nothing extreme, just decent quality that beats shoddy Intel air cooling. Your suggestion is likely going to be emailed to OcUK and assembled, because changing to my i5 years ago about gave me a heart attack. :D

Cheers

Soldato
You need to wait another 8 weeks for the release of Zen 2 - rumours are getting stronger (not necessarily more reliable) that it's going to be a complete game changer. Either way the 7700K is not a path you should be considering.

Suggest you go to the CPU forum and look at the AMD ZEN 2 Thread to pick up the vibe - flick to last 10 pages for latest intel (not the company).

Soldato
OP
You need to wait another 8 weeks for the release of Zen 2 - rumours are getting stronger (not necessarily more reliable) that it's going to be a complete game changer. Either way the 7700K is not a path you should be considering.

Suggest you go to the CPU forum and look at the AMD ZEN 2 Thread to pick up the vibe - flick to last 10 pages for latest intel (not the company).
Problem with AMD is I've been stung by their CPUs in the past, I'd only ever consider a GPU from them now, but I'll have a looksee. Cheers.

Soldato
Problem with AMD is I've been stung by their CPUs in the past, I'd only ever consider a GPU from them now, but I'll have a looksee. Cheers.
Since the release of Ryzen the scenery has changed - plus the narrative that goes with it.

Even if you don't decide to go the Ryzen route, you would still be best served to wait as prices should go into flux - and you should benefit either way. But the 7700K is 'dead in the water' as an upgrade path - you should be looking at minimum 6 core Coffee Lake (8700) if considering INTEL.

Soldato
OP
Since the release of Ryzen the scenery has changed - plus the narrative that goes with it.

Even if you don't decide to go the Ryzen route, you would still be best served to wait as prices should go into flux - and you should benefit either way. But the 7700K is 'dead in the water' as an upgrade path - you should be looking at minimum 6 core Coffee Lake (8700) if considering INTEL.

Kinda benchmarks are the latest AMD throwing out? Though the older chipsets boasted some intimidating benchmarks in various programs but in reality were abysmal in actual games, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't heard some genuinely good things about everything post piledriver/bulldozer disaster.

Soldato
Yes, INTEL is still king with gaming - especially when put against the wall with single threaded games and the 9900K wears the crown.

But, again, with future consoles adopting 8 cores and AMD flavoured chips (lower speeds) - optimisation and the benefits of more than 4 cores with future releases should see Ryzen come into its own - even if zen 2 were not to fully deliver.

I'm not suggesting you buy a 2000 series CPU - i'm urging that you wait for Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000). If you've browsed the thread you will know that there's tangible hope/hype that the 3700(sic), 12c/24t will be hitting close to 9900K speeds - and for most users the 3600(sic) will suffice 8c/16t. And if AMD stick to their predictable aggressive pricing there's a chance that all of us who have waited will be quids-in - plus new tech to play with and nurture (and that could be the case if it follows Ryzen's initial release). Here's some unverified data - Clicky - but the leaks keep coming and they're all leading to the same conclusion. One would think AMD would dampen expectations if it was completely off the mark...

I realise that Piledriver/Bulldozer left an aftertaste - but Ryzen 1xxxx and 2xxx have performed incredibly, comparatively, for the price compared to INTEL. If Zen 2 reaches even close to that 15% mark - we the consumers will be very happy bunnies.

@orbitalwalsh - don't bring me down with resellers :D

Soldato
OP
:p what's your monitor ?

Also what's the use of your pc ?

Monitor is HANNspree something something 2560x1440, and it's used only for gaming!
Your budget easily allows for a 9900k setup.

How so? You can get the rest of the PC for 1k? Don't all the little bits you need add up? I guess already having a 1070 is a big deal with all that mining stuff, probably cuts down on the total by a lot.

Could you show me an example? Last I looked those things were damn near £700
Yes, INTEL is still king with gaming - especially when put against the wall with single threaded games and the 9900K wears the crown.

But, again, with future consoles adopting 8 cores and AMD flavoured chips (lower speeds) - optimisation and the benefits of more than 4 cores with future releases should see Ryzen come into its own - even if zen 2 were not to fully deliver.

I'm not suggesting you buy a 2000 series CPU - i'm urging that you wait for Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000). If you've browsed the thread you will know that there's tangible hope/hype that the 3700(sic), 12c/24t will be hitting close to 9900K speeds - and for most users the 3600(sic) will suffice 8c/16t. And if AMD stick to their predictable aggressive pricing there's a chance that all of us who have waited will be quids-in - plus new tech to play with and nurture (and that could be the case if it follows Ryzen's initial release). Here's some unverified data - Clicky - but the leaks keep coming and they're all leading to the same conclusion. One would think AMD would dampen expectations if it was completely off the mark...

I realise that Piledriver/Bulldozer left an aftertaste - but Ryzen 1xxxx and 2xxx have performed incredibly, comparatively, for the price compared to INTEL. If Zen 2 reaches even close to that 15% mark - we the consumers will be very happy bunnies.

@orbitalwalsh - don't bring me down with resellers :D

Ryzen is sounds pretty good but 'close to' 9900K speeds aren't very appealing, I upgrade my CPU about every 6-10 years and my GPU every 5-6, so a few hundred more on a purchase every 6-10 isn't much of a big deal to me tbh, I have no reason to save here and there at a risk when I basically never upgrade, may as well do it right even if its £200 more for 5% better performance, I don't mind that. Especially neutralizing the risk of the AMD CPU just not getting along with whatever game I play. I always seemed to get into the specific games that the Athlon and Bulldozer could not handle, not through lack of power, but through some weird voodoo they would fail horribly. Ever since I got a 3570k everything worked, every single game!

Now I get what you're saying, Ryzen might even objectively be the better choice, but I'm an idiot so I'll probably get a 9900k as I can get one apparently, which kind of excites me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I get what you're saying, Ryzen might even objectively be the better choice, but I'm an idiot so I'll probably get a 9900k as I can get one apparently, which kind of excites me.
I'm a great believer of each to their own - and the 9900k will see you happy for a few years and you have the budget.

I would spec but using my tablet, while sorting kids. If @orbitalwalsh, @tamzzy or @Danny75 haven't come along and kitted you out I'll do one later.

AIO or air? Quality air is an AIO's equal and less points of failure but you may have a preference.

Soldato
I should start off by saying you could get a 9700K and save a considerable amount of cash and still have a comparable gaming experience.

Here's a 9900K build example - added a RTX 2070 as it's more in keeping with the top tier spec and would annihilate 1440p plus you could sell on your GTX 1070 - and all within your budget.

I avoided RGB - but you could specify this - and could be added. I nearly put in the windowless version of this case - sound proofed - if this is a preference (certainly mine)? But again loads of cases to pick from within this budget...

Opted for Gigabyte - UK RMA and additional forum support with a great forum rep.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,619.79 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Last edited:
Associate
Monitor is HANNspree something something 2560x1440, and it's used only for gaming!

How so? You can get the rest of the PC for 1k? Don't all the little bits you need add up? I guess already having a 1070 is a big deal with all that mining stuff, probably cuts down on the total by a lot.

Could you show me an example? Last I looked those things were damn near £700

Ryzen is sounds pretty good but 'close to' 9900K speeds aren't very appealing, I upgrade my CPU about every 6-10 years and my GPU every 5-6, so a few hundred more on a purchase every 6-10 isn't much of a big deal to me tbh, I have no reason to save here and there at a risk when I basically never upgrade, may as well do it right even if its £200 more for 5% better performance, I don't mind that. Especially neutralizing the risk of the AMD CPU just not getting along with whatever game I play. I always seemed to get into the specific games that the Athlon and Bulldozer could not handle, not through lack of power, but through some weird voodoo they would fail horribly. Ever since I got a 3570k everything worked, every single game!

^ Plec has sorted one for you, mine was random just to show you how achievable it was within your budget. These guys have a lot of component knowledge etc.

Soldato
Pure gaming, 1440p - if your monitor is over 60hz then golden!

if your able to hold out till July to see what AMD brings then good, if not- should be happy for 5-6 years on CPU

Total: £1,506.05 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
if your able to hold out till July to see what AMD brings then good, if not- should be happy for 5-6 years on CPU
LOL, Orbi, did your read my earlier sermons/posts? :D

I agree with 9700K choice, i lead with it in my spec - but he's juiced about the thought of 9900K.

EDIT: And what's that PSU doing in there? :p

Soldato
LOL, Orbi, did your read my earlier sermons/posts? :D

I agree with 9700K choice, i lead with it in my spec - but he's juiced about the thought of 9900K.

EDIT: And what's that PSU doing in there? :p

haha, almost went with formula 650w at same price . I think you can actually get away with solid quality 550w for 2080 and 9700k though - if manually OC .

which earlier post? in regard to ryzen ?

Soldato
haha, almost went with formula 650w at same price . I think you can actually get away with solid quality 550w for 2080 and 9700k though - if manually OC .
Hehe, agree in principle - i haven't got the balls to start pushing as a component choice given future upgrade possibilities - and the PSU will get pretty noisy. Plus, you know people like their overclocking software... /shudders :)

which earlier post? in regard to ryzen ?
>Post #6 Plec's holier than thou sermon on all things yummy about Zen 2<
OP's reply:

Then yours - made me laugh. (I keep saying your excitement is palpable. Really, wish things had panned out for you re Computex. We'll both have to make do watching live...)

Soldato
haha , having a flagship chip is always nice!!! you dont go back looking at prices or tech rumors once you've got it!

i think missing 2017 computex was annoying , helped set up to major companies but nothing came out of it at the time . One didnt have a taiwan base at the time and the older one is still run by old men stuck in old ways and linked closely with cooler master, which were just making useless products for them at the time ;(

Soldato
i think missing 2017 computex was annoying , helped set up to major companies but nothing came out of it at the time . One didnt have a taiwan base at the time and the older one is still run by old men stuck in old ways and linked closely with cooler master, which were just making useless products for them at the time ;(
The 2017 expo must have really stuck in the throat - especially for making new, one-on-one, contacts during that period. Nothing, beats face to face, regardless of how far we've come with technology...

@Omaeka - 9900K £70 price drop - only an eye-watering £450, now:

Total: £1,549.83 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Man of Honour
I'm a great believer of each to their own - and the 9900k will see you happy for a few years and you have the budget.

I would spec but using my tablet, while sorting kids. If @orbitalwalsh, @tamzzy or @Danny75 haven't come along and kitted you out I'll do one later.

AIO or air? Quality air is an AIO's equal and less points of failure but you may have a preference.
I dunno. Can't really in good conscience recommend anything at the moment. Even if op wants intel. Ryzen 3000 is so close and it will make sense to wait. Especially if op is keeping the computer for any length of time.
Would be worth to see what and brings to the table, and how intel responds. Buying anything now, unless needing to, is just crazy.

With all the intel hyperthreading issues and loss of performance from these said issues...amd should be a stronger contender. (Fwiw, the latest mitigations will take 3% performance away from a hyperthreaded part - or even more if you disable hyperthreading...lol. effectively turning a 9900k to a 9700k)

Soldato
Can't really in good conscience
OK, when did you get one of those? :D

It doesn't help, bud - just makes for longer threads, believe me i tried - but the OP seems clued up and if he has the funds the 9900K will keep him happy for years. As, i said, each to their own... :) (Don't take offence @Omaeka - this is a general discussion - not a scathing indictment on your choices).

/kinda off topic
(Fwiw, the latest mitigations will take 3% performance away from a hyperthreaded part - or even more if you disable hyperthreading...lol. effectively turning a 9900k to a 9700k)
@tamzzy, I know - I don't quite understand how this has been glossed over by the mainstream media. Look what they did to Volkswagen?.. I realise that had pollution implications etc etc - but the backlash and media hype was huge...

I realise it's not an apples for apples comparison but these drip drip flaws, which ultimately are affecting performance, just seem to be a 'one news bulletin' wonder and then completely forgotten again by main stream media, and by default the main stream consumer. Teflon INTEL...

Back
Top Bottom