New build insulation issue

McB

McB

Associate
Just wanted to validate something with the wise and good of OcUK to see if we are being fair and reasonable with builders.

We've been in a new build for just over 2 years which has a large second bedroom over a car port that gets very cold, and I mean bloody cold. Its taken about a year to get the builders (David Wilson Homes) to investigate, and reinsulate from the drive underneath with loft insulation as there was none in the void before. It's still cold and I've had a industrial temp logger in there from work, and hitting as low as 11C at night where as rest of house is staying over 18C without heating tripping on.

Next steps they want to do is move our main thermostat for zone 1 from the hall to the cold bedroom so keep it warm. Now this is something of a sticking plaster solution rather than root cause, and will have more heat on / use more gas rather than keeping it in. Meanwhile we are looking at an environmental survey to confirm exactly where the heat is going. Is it just me or is this a bit backward?

Soldato
If they had to put insulation into the floor above the drive cos they didn't put any in when building it. I'd question the insulation spec of that entire room. Wouldn't be surprised if they haven't insulated the walls / ceiling!

Do you have any plans of the house that you could post? Obviously if there are details of the exact location just blank them out before posting online.

McB

McB

Associate
OP
If they had to put insulation into the floor above the drive cos they didn't put any in when building it. I'd question the insulation spec of that entire room. Wouldn't be surprised if they haven't insulated the walls / ceiling!

Do you have any plans of the house that you could post? Obviously if there are details of the exact location just blank them out before posting online.

I'm trying to dig them out at the moment - but yup surprised if other stuff hasn't been missed! There is loft insulation above the room but for a supposed 5 star and energy efficient home it leaves a lot to be desired!

Last edited:
Soldato
George Wimpey did this 10-12 years ago on a local estate. All walls and loft insulation to current spec at the time, yet the floor above the carport and garages where left uninsulated.

It's all about making quick profits.

Gb6wzwv.jpg

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Right time of year to get a thermal survey then at least you'll have some ammunition. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred quid.

Should all be up to building regs which is quite tough. Also check the original planning they may have to have built it to a plus %age eg building regs plus 25% which is very normal in tough planning areas.

Soldato
Right time of year to get a thermal survey then at least you'll have some ammunition. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred quid.

Should all be up to building regs which is quite tough. Also check the original planning they may have to have built it to a plus %age eg building regs plus 25% which is very normal in tough planning areas.

During the build, who checks they have put insulation in the right place in every house?

Soldato
My 3rd bedroom is over the garage, 3 external walls, one North facing. On the west side of house, so least sun.
House was built in 2009, fully insulated, but that room gets cold if I shut the door and isolate it off

Associate
During the build, who checks they have put insulation in the right place in every house?

Depends on who the guarantee is with, it should say on your paperwork somewhere. If it's NHBC for example it will be one of their surveyors.
Its entirely possible they won't check every house in the development though.

In your pack you will probably have a SAP calculation sheet which shows the energy efficiency assessment of the house and should be accompanied with a PEA (predicted energy assessment), this info is used to create the EPC. These are blanket assessments though and very few houses are physically tested.

Soldato
My entire "floor" is built over carports, so you can imagine if they missed my insulation it would indeed get very cold here.

I honestly have no idea if they have included any or not :p

Because I have no direct neighbours attached to me, every single wall is basically an external wall, I pay about £50 p/m for gas & electric on average, so in the winter it's probably more, in summer less.

I do have some electric guzzling things though like my PC and my NAS that are both on a fair bit of the time.

For the small cost, they should really consider forcing an energy assessment on each new build property to stop developers cutting corners so easily? once it's behind plaster board you just can't tell if it's got insulation or not.

Associate
That's very cool, though a little costly just to see if I have insulation or not :D

Indeed, but its cheaper than a thermal survey mentioned above and they sell used on a popular auction site for near on the same as they are new. Would give you some good ammunition to send to the builders and/or guarantee people too.

Back
Top Bottom