• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New build - Intel vs AMD

Associate
Hi all
I have been building my own PCs and upgrading them for quite a while now, since my first 386SX 19 or so years ago, but I haven't done much in the past 4 years apart from updating my CPU to an AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+.
So I'm basically out of touch with all of these lovely new CPUs and graphics cards, but am planning a new build soon.
So to the main (first of a few I suspect) question:

would you guys recommend Intel or AMD?

My first few builds used Intel CPUs, 386SX, 486DX, I missed out on a first-gen Pentium but went for an Amd Athlon, then a number of Pentium2 machines - and I remember getting a dual cpu MSI motherboard from Overclockers with 2x Intel Celeron 300MHz overclocked to 450, then a 2.5GHz P4 but my last couple have been back to Amd again.
I am quite tempted by the Intel i5-2500K with its' overclocking potential, but wondered if I should go for the AMD Bulldozer FX-6 instead? It's a little cheaper, but with 6 cores instead of 4.
Can anyone here recommend going for it?

Ta

Soldato
I am quite tempted by the Intel i5-2500K with its' overclocking potential, but wondered if I should go for the AMD Bulldozer FX-6 instead? It's a little cheaper, but with 6 cores instead of 4.
Can anyone here recommend going for it?
Just go for the i5 2500K...it is faster by miles.

The Bulldozer is SLOWER than it's predecessor the Phenom II, and the number of cores AMD claims on their CPU ain't even real full fudge cores.

Associate
OP
Just go for the i5 2500K...it is faster by miles.

The Bulldozer is SLOWER than it's predecessor the Phenom II, and the number of cores AMD claims on their CPU ain't even real full fudge cores.

Thanks for that Marine-RX179 - I think I was more or less heading that way after reading more reviews and benchmarks, and the fact that this site seems to sell a lot of them overclocked to 4.4 or 4.6, but very little evidence of Bulldozers going much quicker.

Associate
OP
If you go with the above, make sure you grab a z68 with pci-e 3.0 support. These boards support the next generation of intel processors so there will be some upgrade path in the future.

Ooh thanks for that! There are a lot of different socket types around these days, I must admit to getting a bit fed up a few years ago when I could only ever upgrade to a slightly quicker cpu - to get the next-gen cpu required a whole new motherboard and memory dimms!

Associate
OP
Definitely the i5. I put a 2400 system together for my dad and it's quicker than my Phenom II system by quite a bit.

Cheers for that - the i5 does seem to be the general concensus of opinion. I've been wanting a new system for quite a while now, but, well you can't put it off for ever can you? There always seems to be something quicker and cheaper just around the corner, in a month or two ...

Back
Top Bottom