New build issue

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've just finished my new build and troubleshooting a random BSOD, windows memory diagnostic test show a hardware issue detected but no further details.
Spec is 14700k with B760i MB and 64gb 6400 Corsair vengeance RAM.

Now doing some digging I seem to have made a stupid error, Asus QVL lists Corsair 64gb 6400 as compatible with the B760i, when buying I've right clicked on the QVL page and purchased the top result which was the Vengeance RAM, manufacturing code starting CMK whereas the listed item was in fact the Dominator manufacturer code starting CMT, everything else is identical in both sets of RAM, would this be sufficient difference to cause problems?
Current RAM is read fine in BIOS, XMP is enabled and other than the random BSOD seems to be fine.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Haven't gotten around to memtest yet but disabled XMP and rerun Windows memory diagnostics and no errors were found so it looks like that's the problem.

Unfortunately I've just missed the return window having waited weeks for a case to come into stock.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Do memtest or testmem5 (confusing naming them so close to each other but hey) and see how that goes.

It’s likely just a voltage issue so try setting the memory voltage to manual settings.
Dumb question time, XMP enabled just selects a factory OC profile for my particular RAM? Can I enable XMP and then create my own profile for it to use?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Thanks all, doing some digging I've found memtest in the tools section of the Asus BIOS, so far I've run 2 passes
XMP disabled - full pass
XMP profile 1 - errors on everything
XMP profile 2 - errors on everything
XMP Tweaked profile - 1 error on pass 1, 2 errors on pass 2 (selecting this profile disables XMP but the RAM still shows at 6400)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Have you updated the motherboard to the latest bios? Bios revisions typically enhance stability and improve compatibility between components amongst other things.
Yup updated to the latest Bios.

Before going down the return route I thought I'd have a final go at resolving this.

Starting with the XMP Tweaked profile as a base, I dropped the DRAM Frequency to 6200 from 6400 and voila absolutely no issues memtest ran 4 passes with no errors and Windows memory diagnostic showed no hardware issues.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
I'm not too concerned now I've got it stable at 6200 and is way overkill for my use currently, I need to do some more learning before digging deeper so in time I may play around with the voltage.

Back
Top Bottom