New build issue

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've just finished my new build and troubleshooting a random BSOD, windows memory diagnostic test show a hardware issue detected but no further details.
Spec is 14700k with B760i MB and 64gb 6400 Corsair vengeance RAM.

Now doing some digging I seem to have made a stupid error, Asus QVL lists Corsair 64gb 6400 as compatible with the B760i, when buying I've right clicked on the QVL page and purchased the top result which was the Vengeance RAM, manufacturing code starting CMK whereas the listed item was in fact the Dominator manufacturer code starting CMT, everything else is identical in both sets of RAM, would this be sufficient difference to cause problems?
Current RAM is read fine in BIOS, XMP is enabled and other than the random BSOD seems to be fine.

Soldato
Is it 2 modules or 4? have you tried setting to "Auto" for the memory settings rather than XMP? If this works you might have to drop the frequency to get it stable. Unfortunately even though you would think the CMK is the same as the CMT but with just RGB however I have found that often the BOM is actually different (Different memory manufacture chips) and the version number is different as well.

If you havnt had the memory long just return and get the correct sku.

Just had a look and its an Itx board so only 2 slots.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd make sure you're running the recommended Intel defaults too, since while it might be the memory configuration, it could be that (factory overclocks) which is causing instability too.

So far as I know, 6400 shouldn't be that hard to achieve with 2 sticks, but you do have dual rank memory, so I guess try it without XMP as suggested above.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Haven't gotten around to memtest yet but disabled XMP and rerun Windows memory diagnostics and no errors were found so it looks like that's the problem.

Unfortunately I've just missed the return window having waited weeks for a case to come into stock.

Associate
Haven't gotten around to memtest yet but disabled XMP and rerun Windows memory diagnostics and no errors were found so it looks like that's the problem.

Unfortunately I've just missed the return window having waited weeks for a case to come into stock.
Do memtest or testmem5 (confusing naming them so close to each other but hey) and see how that goes.

It’s likely just a voltage issue so try setting the memory voltage to manual settings.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Do memtest or testmem5 (confusing naming them so close to each other but hey) and see how that goes.

It’s likely just a voltage issue so try setting the memory voltage to manual settings.
Dumb question time, XMP enabled just selects a factory OC profile for my particular RAM? Can I enable XMP and then create my own profile for it to use?

Associate
Dumb question time, XMP enabled just selects a factory OC profile for my particular RAM? Can I enable XMP and then create my own profile for it to use?
Uh, sort of. You can load XMP settings and then change to manual mode and just use those values but you can also just use XMP and manually set the voltages to whatever you want.

I always use a manual DDR voltage and SOC voltage regardless of if I’m using XMP or not - not all motherboards use XMP in the same way and some can apply too much or too little voltage.

Man of Honour
This is tricky with DDR5 because of the amount of other settings and voltages that are changed due to overclocking the CPU. I haven't seen much success with it apart from enthusiast overclockers, whereas with DDR4 it was pretty easy.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Thanks all, doing some digging I've found memtest in the tools section of the Asus BIOS, so far I've run 2 passes
XMP disabled - full pass
XMP profile 1 - errors on everything
XMP profile 2 - errors on everything
XMP Tweaked profile - 1 error on pass 1, 2 errors on pass 2 (selecting this profile disables XMP but the RAM still shows at 6400)

Man of Honour
Thanks all, doing some digging I've found memtest in the tools section of the Asus BIOS, so far I've run 2 passes
XMP disabled - full pass
XMP profile 1 - errors on everything
XMP profile 2 - errors on everything
XMP Tweaked profile - 1 error on pass 1, 2 errors on pass 2 (selecting this profile disables XMP but the RAM still shows at 6400)
Time to send them back.

Did you test each stick individually ?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Have you updated the motherboard to the latest bios? Bios revisions typically enhance stability and improve compatibility between components amongst other things.
Yup updated to the latest Bios.

Before going down the return route I thought I'd have a final go at resolving this.

Starting with the XMP Tweaked profile as a base, I dropped the DRAM Frequency to 6200 from 6400 and voila absolutely no issues memtest ran 4 passes with no errors and Windows memory diagnostic showed no hardware issues.

Soldato
High capacity and high speed dont really work well together unless you have a strong cpu with a good memory controller, voltage increases may help but not familiar with intel stuff being on amd, it should be something to do with MC (memory control) voltage, upping it may help get your ram stable at 6400mhz, if not drop back to 6200mhz and call it a day, that speed and 64gb is a decent combo.

Dropping back to 32gb you could possible run faster than 6400mhz but again it comes down to the cpu and voltage tweaks will be needed if it wont work out of the box.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
I'm not too concerned now I've got it stable at 6200 and is way overkill for my use currently, I need to do some more learning before digging deeper so in time I may play around with the voltage.

Soldato
If you are happy with that then all good.. :) You could even try and drop it to 6000 and then looking at tweaking the latency to get a bit better performance. I have found that a lower speed but lower latency can outperform higher speed higher latency memory but its all to do with the settings. If you are not confident in having a play then enjoy your system :)

Reactions: JRJ
Associate
I'm not too concerned now I've got it stable at 6200 and is way overkill for my use currently, I need to do some more learning before digging deeper so in time I may play around with the voltage.
Sounds good.

Must be the memory controller on the CPU not quite up to 6400.

Voltage may help but, in my experience, fast enough is often good enough and memory overclocking is takes ages and doesn’t get you the most amazing performance upgrade for every day tasks.

If you’re an LN2 overclocker, sure, go full ham and do intense memory overclocking.

Happy you’re sorted.

Reactions: JRJ
Back
Top Bottom