New build - low/mid gaming PC

Associate
Hello everyone.

Its been a long time since i last built a PC, but decided to have a go with my 12 year old son.

It's taken a while to get back into all the latest language and standards, but it seems that motherboards, CPU's and RAM still do the same job and generally bigger numbers = faster...... RGB EVERYTHING is a bit of a shock, but i don't mind and neither does my son.

This is the board and CPU combination I've purchased so far:

ASRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi and Intel i5-12400F CPU. My goal is a mid level gaming PC that i can potentially upgrade over the coming years to stay somewhat relevant. I know the CPU isn't earth shattering, but its very affordable right now, and the board offers me scope to upgrade to a 13 or 14th gen CPU when prices come down.

I'm looking for advice on the DDR5 RAM and suggestions on what to purchase.

As i don't intend to OC this PC, my main concern is purchasing RAM fast clock speeds, but i don't want to have to tweak it to get it stable. I've read that its probably not realistic to fit RAM at 7200, especially with a 12th gen CPU.

The ASRock B760M lists the following specs:

- Dual Channel DDR5 Memory Technology
- 4 x DDR5 DIMM Slots
- Supports DDR5 non-ECC, un-buffered memory up to 7200+(OC)*
- Max. capacity of system memory: 192GB
- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 3.0

*1DPC 1R Up to 7200+ MHz (OC), 4800 MHz Natively.
1DPC 2R Up to 6000+ MHz (OC), 4400 MHz Natively.
2DPC 1R Up to 5600+ MHz (OC), 4000 MHz Natively.
2DPC 2R Up to 4800+ MHz (OC), 3600 MHz Natively.

I already understand the benefits of only using 2 DIMMS and i know 32gb is probably overkill, but there doesn't look to be too much difference in cost to to 2 x 8gb.

I have been looking at 2 x 16GB Teamgroup Delta RGB 6400, CL40, as price looks pretty good right now (£105 at time of writing). They do sell a 7200 version, but in think its too risky.

Is there a safe speed trouble free speed i should aim for? Also, CL40 seems a little high. Should i be aiming for something lower?

I welcome any advice, tips or even other resources where i can check the best RAM combination for this build.

Thanks

Jon

Soldato
Generally 6000mhz with a CL as close to 30 as possible is best way to go and should doable for around £110.

If you want future proofing then it’s probably best to spend a bit more on AM5, a cheap B650 and 7500F/7600 will cost more than Intel but will potentially have the option of dropping in CPUs that are not even due to be released for another couple years.

Man of Honour
Is there a safe speed trouble free speed i should aim for? Also, CL40 seems a little high. Should i be aiming for something lower?
If you absolutely do not want to do any tweaking, then 5600 (with XMP) should be very safe, 6400 is on the optimistic side for a 12th gen i5.

Back
Top Bottom