New build: low wattage (<20w) idle, totally passive, gaming HTPC

Soldato
OP
Great, thanks, looks like I might try this mobo as well. It really is hard to get some good numbers for comparison of various mobo's... (for example, I will not be needing wireless or BT).

Just out of curiosity: Did you try switching off wireless, BT , etc and remove the dongle to see how low it could get?

A.
I didn't, but if you want to go crazy I reckon you could probably get close to 15w if not lower by undervolting.

Popular opinion is that the default vcore on a lot of the lower end a6's is too high. I run overclocked to 3.65 with a slight undervolt and its 100% stable, if you run stock I reckon you could knock a ton of vcore off it. Probably to the ram and mobo too.

Soldato
Definitely will be interested in your results as I still fancy an A6-3500.

Got my pico arrive today so will post wattage results tonight.

Ok after installing my pico my wattage is

Power to pc (0 watts)

Running windows 7 (8 watts)

Using xbmc to play movie (10 watts)

So a big saving on a what a normal Psu uses.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry, but what? (excuse the pun) are you running a a6-3500?

Pretty sure them numbers are just not possible. I guess you can draw some comparative results but your measuring device sounds way out.

Soldato
Sorry, but what? (excuse the pun) are you running a a6-3500?

Pretty sure them numbers are just not possible. I guess you can draw some comparative results but your measuring device sounds way out.

Its almost the same as your device but you good be correct but i dont wish to buy another just to test it.

Yes a6-3500

Associate
Its almost the same as your device but you good be correct but i dont wish to buy another just to test it.

Yes a6-3500

Could ( for completeness) post your entire setup ? Indeed 8 Watts idle sounds pretty low...
(and also, what other tweaks or settings you use to get those values?)

Thanks,

Alex.

Soldato
Could ( for completeness) post your entire setup ? Indeed 8 Watts idle sounds pretty low...
(and also, what other tweaks or settings you use to get those values?)

Thanks,

Alex.

AsRock A75M-ITX Motherboard
AMD Llano A6-3500 Tri-Core Processor with Integrated AMD Radeon HD, 6530D Graphics
Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB M4 SSD
Samsung F1 ITb Hard Drive

Im not running a case fan as it dont get hot enough and everythink is @ stock

First reading with old psu watching film was 51watts but with pico it says 10 watts but if the meter is correct or not its still gone lower which is why i brought a pico so i am happy with that.

Soldato
OP

Yes a6-3500
Ok, in that case deffo take your pure numbers with a pinch of salt, still comparatively you numbers work for you

If you check this table: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fusion-intel-core-i3_8.html#sect0

It shows that the cpu ALONE pulls 8w at idle and 15.5w when playing a movie.

Bare in mind that these readings are taken directly off the cpu 12v rail so very very accurate.

Now factor in mobo, ram, ssd, hdd, etc and a psu efficiency of ~85% and you can see how way out your meter must be, in fact given your previous odd readings with it I might suggest its just plain busted :)

Last edited:
Soldato
AsRock A75M-ITX Motherboard
AMD Llano A6-3500 Tri-Core Processor with Integrated AMD Radeon HD, 6530D Graphics
Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB M4 SSD
Samsung F1 ITb Hard Drive

Im not running a case fan as it dont get hot enough and everythink is @ stock

First reading with old psu watching film was 51watts but with pico it says 10 watts but if the meter is correct or not its still gone lower which is why i brought a pico so i am happy with that.

Hmm how do you find the stock cpu cooler for cooling? What sort of speed are you having to run the fan on it? I am trying to decide whether I could get away with the stock fan but I know I do hate noise and this is in my bedroom.

Soldato
Hmm how do you find the stock cpu cooler for cooling? What sort of speed are you having to run the fan on it? I am trying to decide whether I could get away with the stock fan but I know I do hate noise and this is in my bedroom.

I do find the stock cooler loud but to be honest once a film is running i dont notice it but its only 5 foot from where i sit. This was only temp until i get a silent cooler but i might not even bother changing it now as it dont really notice while watching a movie.

Soldato
Ok, in that case deffo take your pure numbers with a pinch of salt, still comparatively you numbers work for you

If you check this table: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fusion-intel-core-i3_8.html#sect0

Bare in mind that these readings are taken directly off the cpu 12v rail so very very accurate.

Now factor in mobo, ram, ssd, hdd, etc and a psu efficiency of ~85% and you can see how way out your meter must be, in fact given your previous odd readings with it I might suggest its just plain busted :)

I did have some other power monitors i got from energy companys but i never used them so chucked them out. But if i do find someone with a monitor local i will check again.

Soldato
I do find the stock cooler loud but to be honest once a film is running i dont notice it but its only 5 foot from where i sit. This was only temp until i get a silent cooler but i might not even bother changing it now as it dont really notice while watching a movie.

Ahh looks like I will need to go aftermarket then! Hoping to use it 24/7.

Associate

Nice power-use comparison of those mobo's on that same website:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/mini-itx-socket-fm1_7.html#sect0

According to this review the asrock uses a bit more ( 3 watt) but the gigabyte board is similar as the asusboard in power consumption (but without wifi).

Any thoughts on the gigabyte-motherboard? ( since it is 30-40 euro's cheaper, it might be a good deal for the money..)

Alex.

Associate
Yeah I know... not only that but the base of the cpu heatsink is anodized. But it does do a good job, I've ran it a full tilt with 3 threads of linx and furmark and it tends to top out around 80c, which is fine by me my 4ghz i7 core has run in the 90C since it came oot a year or 2 ago.

I did have to take the whole setup apart and apply mx-4 to everything the heatpipes touch, before I did that it was idling in the high 70C.

Could you post your settings for the oc mate as I want to build on of these and wouldn't have a clue with the oc - pm them me if it's easier...:)

Associate
Just read the thread agai and notice you mention mounting a DAC internally.

What DAC have you used, do you have any pictures of how you intalled it inside your case as I was going to add an external dac when I get around to building a HTPC but internal would be a lot more tidier.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom