New Build Options and Decision

Associate
Am due to move into a new build 2 bed house in the next few months and have been looking at my options for networking around the house.

Internet will be FTTP provided by BT as this is tied in with the build and having spoken to them they said (large pinch of salt in hand) that I could get 300/20 there

Actual plot size is 7.5m x 4.25m and the garden goes back 8m. Internal walls are wood stud and upper floor is standard wooden I beams with 22mm chipboard.

Looking at things am contemplating the following

Option 1

Traditional structured cabling in house with 24 port switch with patch panel under stairs. Cables will run to living room (4), kitchen (2), master bedroom (2), spare/computer room (2), downstairs WAP (1), upstairs WAP (1) and a couple spare into loft for possible CCTV or outdoor WAP

Option 2

Reduced Option 1 that has cabling going to master bedroom, spare room and loft and then 2 x Ubiquiti UAP-LC-LR in hall and landing to provide Wifi. TV then connects via this

Option 3

Use pre-made cables and run them to living room, kitchen, master bedroom, spare room, WAPs and loft and use an existing 8 port PoE switch that I have sitting in a box. Will then use and unmanaged switch at the TV end to connect TV, Sky, SONOS and UHD BluRay player.

My only other quandary is regarding the AP's. DO I go for the ones I mentioned or go for the Pro version to get the extra throughput.

I feel I may have to put a cable towards the TV end so as to be able to use the SONOS properly, so may have my decision made for me. SONOS wise there is the playbar, 2 x Play1s in living room, 1 x Play1 in kitchen and 1 x Play1 in Master bedroom. Also contemplating putting a connect amp in upstairs so that I can then add ceiling speaker into bathroom.

Cables will be Cat6 as a minimum too.

Edit:- Is 2 WAPs overkill for a relatively small house? Should I just go for 1 x Pro on the upper floor?

Last edited:
Associate
Get it done as part of the build.

Run at least 2 cables per wallport . And ideally have more than one wallport in a room (because its a house. You move in, and go "Oh, maybe put the bed/wardrobe/whatever there instead"). Run everything to somewhere hidden away but easy to get to. The loft will be annoying every time you want to bounce the router for instance if you have to get the ladder out of the shed.

Don't let the electricians do it unless they can show they know about networking and not just pulling cables and wiring up for mains, lights etc. If in doubt get them to run cables, cut holes etc, and get a networking installer to do the wallports, punchdowns and signoff.

Don't believe a word the salespeople or everyday builders say when it comes to network cables - "Is that like phone points" and "Oh, didnt know that was offered as an option" were quotes I had 3 yrs ago in your position.

Get the main BT feed into the house under the stairs / in the same cupboard as the your networking gear.
A friendly BT man can and will move it if there are phone points for it. [They just put a blanking plate over the one at the front door, and designated the understairs the Master for me]
(This may not even be a persuasion point if its FTTP rather than ADSL/FTTC - dunno).
Having your feed into the house and your router right by the front door is annoying.

Doing this after painting / wallpaper / curtains etc. will lead to crying.
Possibly yours.

Don't drill thru the main telephone feed into the house when putting up shelves either.
BT are not permitted to open up your wall to repair it. They can repair if if YOU open up your wall though. Opening up walls is easy just messy.

I only put single ports in some rooms and regret it. Two or more gives a bit of flexibility for TV, Media Centre, WiFi mesh etc.

Associate
OP
My work will come after the build has completed........

I did ask about it getting put in as part of the build and was flatly refused this. They offered everything else in the world as standard, but not this. Don't even think they wold let me go on there and do it, even though I do it in work. I don't have a site / construction ticket.

Main incoming point is under stairs, so at least that is a good point.

Am pretty much fixed on where furniture goes and have decided that is ok.....an not being that much of a one for changing things when they are in, will be sticking with things as they are. On the plus side (kind of) I will be removing all the skirting when I get in so as to lay a wooden floor (don't get me started on that one.....) so will have access to bottom of walls to be able to get cable inside there.

Back
Top Bottom