New build PC problem - DRAM failure but suspect it’s something else

Associate
Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

We have built our 1st PC and are unable to install the OS. The motherboard is a X570S edge max WiFi and the CPU is AMD Ryzen 5900x and DRAM is vengeance RGB Pro SL.

When all 4 sticks of DRAM are in we get a yellow LED which is a RAM failure and if we just use slot 2 with a single stick we can load the OS but then get a hardware failure - WHEA_Uncorrectable_error.

I have sent the motherboard back twice for testing and it has passed and been returned to us.

Any ideas on what could be causing the DRAM failure? All 4 sticks work if they are used in slot 2 alone so am assuming that means it’s not them if they all work on a standalone basis.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Smudge and welcome to the forums. I am sorry that you are having issues with your first pc build. You are a little light on details so could you give a more step by step guide to what you have actually doneso far. For instance, what settings did you change in the BIOS ? can you even get into the BIOS?

Without all the details that you may have done it is really hard to say what the issue is. I will give a brief outline of what I do when I build a PC. I build PC outside of case and first check I can get into BIOS with just cpu , 2 sticks of ram , gpu and 1 SSD/HDD. I do not change any BIOS settings , especially not ram settings. I then put everything into the case and fire it up and check I can once again get into BIOS. I then set boot order and install windows. I do not change any ram settings before I install windows.

Once Windows is installed I then have a checklist of things to instal and the chipset drivers are always first. Once the chipset drivers are installed and all windows updates are installed I then go back and add the extra memory sticks ,if I am using 4, and set the ram timings and mess around in the BIOS.

There are many many things that can go wrong at any point in time and it is not clear where you are in your build so it will help immensely if you give more details. Until you have a stable system just use the 2 sticks in dual channel , your mobo user guide will show you the A2 and B2 Dimm slots to use.

It will be useful to know the memory model code , looks similar to this CMH16GX4M2D3600C18 and will be on your invoice and the actual physical box. Is it a 4 stick kit or 2x2 stick kits and are they identical.

https://uk.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570S-EDGE-MAX-WIFI - I assume that is your mobo ?

The first thing to do is turn off all overclocking. DOCP, XMP, PBO, etc. The lot. Next try assembling it outside the case. Put the motherboard on the box in which it came. DO NOT use the anti-static bag.

All 4 sticks work if they are used in slot 2 alone so am assuming that means it’s not them if they all work on a standalone basis.
But you also stated that with a single stick you get WHEA events. You are not ruling out the RAM, you are just switching failure modes with RAM configuration. Since you have had someone test the mobo then it has to be the RAM.

Back
Top Bottom