New build procedures

Associate
Placed my order with ocuk cannot wait been nearly a decade since my last build got couple questions to brush up on the build procedure.

Im upgrading from xp to windows 7 (retail version) onto another new hhd, (new motherboard does not support ide so old hhd end up redundant) assume I boot from windows 7 cd what should i do to prepair the hard disk or do they now come preformatted?

Dug out some blank dvd-r to backup my document files on xp is there any other system files i should back up to carry over onto windows 7?

With no other pc on the net anything I should download in advance like drivers for new hardware first or just go by whatever cds come in the box first?

Motherboard bios in particular never updated before hows this done?

thank you

Soldato
Your motherboard doesnt have ide? wierd :/
Just put it all together..stick the windows 7 in, go to bios-boot priority-choose dvd drive and then windows 7 will load up and just tell it to install to new hdd
Dont need system files as there for xp...just get your documents etc and copy to win 7 when your finished installing
Well are you using a lan cable or wireless?
And usually the motherboard doesnt need to be updated? have you checked that your cpu is fine already?

Associate
OP
Heres my order for quick spec check, internet is on ethernet connection direct to my only pc so wouldn't have any net connnection/support during the build hence the questions.

Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz
Asus P7H55-M/USB3 Intel H55 (Socket 1156)
OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Dual Channel (OCZ3G1333LV4GK)
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ)
Corsair CX 400W ATX Power Supply (CMPSU-400CXUK)
LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Soldato
Heres my order for quick spec check, internet is on ethernet connection direct to my only pc so wouldn't have any net connnection/support during the build hence the questions.

Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz
Asus P7H55-M/USB3 Intel H55 (Socket 1156)
OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Dual Channel (OCZ3G1333LV4GK)
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ)
Corsair CX 400W ATX Power Supply (CMPSU-400CXUK)
LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Right...
So with the new pc when Win 7 is loaded...plug your ethernet in and then windows will get all the drivers you need :) unless of course your not having internet and keeping internet on your old one? if so then you will have to download all the drivers then install via disk..usb etc

Soldato
Just wanted to add have seen a few threads where people were complaining about the OCZ gold RAM (maybe it was the tri stuff but it might be worth changing it to a different brand).

The installation of windows is easy if not time consuming. It would be best to download the latest drivers from the web before you begin the build (NIC and/or wifi definately). Yes it's true windows update will download drivers for you but they aren't guaranteed to be the latest ones, the ones supplied on disk will definately be "old".

Updating the mobos bios should only really be done if necessary i.e to add support for features you need (cpu support for example)

Good luck with the build, any issues you know where we are

Associate
OP
Fantastic eased my worries, whats wrong with the ocz gold ram? have I ordered an incompatible model?

Damn forgot thermal paste will toothpaste do?

... only kidding

Associate
OP
Retail i3 cpu the heatsink has what appears to be pre applied paste so just went with that. Build so far has been fairly painless got couple of minor problems not sure if its i3 530 asus p7h55-m usb3 or a setting in windows7? I have set everything i can find to always on

Previous under windows xp i had monitor set to turn off after 5mins of inactivity under screensaver settings rather than play a screen saver to save electricity. However whenever playing video/movie clips from any source the monitor remains on, until finished then 5mins after screen turns to standby.

Firstly I have ruled out the monitor own power saving its connected via vga on motherboard.

Now with new build when watching a long video clip on youtube, iplayer or anything from internet explorer under win7 apart from dvds the screen goes blank like its gone to sleep audio continues to play until i shake mouse.

Associate
OP
Already tried that it just stays on all the time. I disabled everything i could find problem still here so reverted everything back to default settings in bios maybe win7 is the cause?

The other issue spurious internet connection in win7 comes and goes at random it just connected out of the box however i looked in control panel can't find where you add your user name and password ect so hows it connecting in the first place?

So far not impressed with win7 everything is so hidden and difficult to setup correctly.

Back
Top Bottom