New Build - thought?

Associate
Looking at building a new PC and any thoughts on the following spec would be appreciated. Prices have certainly gone up since my last build in 2021:

• Lian-Li LANCOOL 215 midi-tower
  • MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
  • Alpenfohn Dolomit Advanced 120mm
  • Corsair RM750x 80 PLUS Gold
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB 6000MHz CL36
  • Nvidia RTX 4070 12GB FE
  • Crucial P3 PLUS 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 NVMe

Any advice greatly appreciated.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,416.86 (includes delivery: £11.98)​
So put all your items together to get an idea on price...the asus card same price as the FE card...​
my thoughts​
nothing wrong with any of it​
215 case old now..much prefer the 216 which was the replacement, and the 217 just been shown at computex, which looks good too...there's actually quite a lot of new cases, and a buch coming in around the £80 mark...can thank phanteks for that i think​
mobob is pciegen4 for both cpu and gpu...you could go for something like the tuf gaming b650 wifi...that'll give you pcie5 for the nvme, and cheaper, or the asus b650e-f which is pcie5 for both gpu and nvme for little more​
7600x...nothing wrong, 7600 cheaper and enable pbo and get similar performance...new 9600x cpu released next month...would wait for reviews/price..might impact 7600x prices​
can get 6000c30 ram for the same price​
rm750x psu is good...but it's atx2.0 only, not 3.0...doesn't come with a native cable so you'll have to buy that seperateley to plug into the 4000 series card..if going nvidia, i'd look at a atx3.0 psu​
crucial...can get faster ssd for similar money, or drop to something like the 2tb SN580 for £104​
4070 for £530...get the 4070super for £550...it's about 16% faster for not a lot more or go with amd 7900gre(if you do that, uses standard power connections so rm750x will be fine)​
I'd def wait till new releases of cpu's etc...might shake up prices a bit​

Wow, thanks for all that. I didn't even know about ATX 3.0 with the PSU, so I'm glad I posted! Great to know about the RAM as well. What's PBO, is that a form of undervolting or something? I currently undervolt my RTX 3060 Ti FE, but not the 5600X CPU (I don't think, maybe I am because I remember doing something in BIOS! lol)

I liked the idea of the fan option at the rear to help pull the GPU heat out, I currently have a similar custom setup at the moment, except that the fan is in front of the GPU pushing the hot air out. But it's not a deal breaker, other than price are there any advantages to the Phantek over the Lian-Li?

I'm not a fan of WD, have a few failures in the past with HDD but I don't know what their M.2 are like. I've never had issues with Crucial drives though, I would probably stick with it for the sake of a tenner.

Are Zotac any good? I've got Palit ones in the past and they weren't good, which is why I've ended up going down the FE route.

Thanks again.

What do you use the PC for?

What are you upgrading from?

I'm upgrading from a 5600X, X570 Tomahawk MB, RTX 3060 Ti FE, RM750x PSU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, similar M.2 SDD but only 1GB.

I run a super widescreen monitor at 4k for desktop apps, but PC gaming is not overly intensive. However, I do game with PCVR on the Quest 3. I've got a dedicated TUF Gaming AX5400 router for it, so now looking at the computer side of things.

An alternative I'm also looking at is simply popping an RTX 4070 FE into my current rig instead, but now I'm worried about this ATX 3.0 thing. My current 3060 Ti came with an adapter to work with my RM750x, will the 4070 not also come with this adapter?

£240 (incl. VAT)
£170 (incl. VAT)
£249 (incl. VAT)
£200 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£130 (incl. VAT)
£114 (incl. VAT)
£639 (incl. VAT)
£560 (incl. VAT)
£219 (incl. VAT)
£180 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£590 (incl. VAT)
£549 (incl. VAT)
CPU: You'd be best off getting a 5700X3D or 5800X3D, since they perform similar to the 7600.

GPU: the majority of 4070 non-Super cards (NOT FE) do not use the 16 pin connector. The FE does use the 16 pin connector. All cards include an adapter for older PSUs, just like your 3060 Ti did.

Since you have a 4K monitor and already own a decent card in the 3060 Ti, I'd strongly recommend you do a bigger upgrade than a 4070, at least a 4070 Super, but preferably a 4070 Ti Super, 7900 XT or better.

Thanks. The 4070 Ti Super is quite a price hike over the 4070 and I'm wondering if it's really worth it for the performance gains, compared to the difference in performance between the 3060 Ti and the 4070? I'm going off the videobenchmark stats and whilst I appreciate that they are just a rough guide, I'm using the same source for all cards, so hopefully reasonably accurate to go by? I need to watch the budget on this, £1,300 is roughly as much as I would want to go to.

It is hard to say in absolute value terms because if we're brutal the answer is: NO (to everything), because your 3060 Ti is just too current (the 4060 Ti is barely any improvement at all, since nvidia moved all their new cards down one tier).

TPU's GPU database says (from a 3060 Ti, no upscaling, no ray tracing):
4070 +43%
4070 Super +66%
7900 GRE +69%
4070 Ti +78%
4070 Ti Super 95%
4080 +126%
4080 Super +130%

That's an interesting site cheers.

I see your point and my current computer is quick enough for decent gaming. This is why I'm also thinking about just getting the 4070 for the VR performance boost. My son has my old 1660 Super (loved that card!), so I could replace that with my 3060 Ti FE.

If you have a budget of £1300, then a 5700X3D/5800X3D and a 4070 Ti Super would be covered comfortably and that card is 95% faster than what you have and decently capable of 4K. The 4070 is just too incremental an upgrade for me, even though I'm aware the price is more palatable. Doing a whole platform upgrade is the worst use of your budget, in my opinion, though if you're handing everything you have down, I guess it would make more sense.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

This whole opportunity has come about because I have a computer I use for office type work but also design and it has always struggled with Photoshop etc (the i5-4460 processor is worse than my previous i7 3770K) as I got it built by a local computer store and I trusted them to put a decent i5 in, but they went cheap. It's now slowly dying and needs replacing, so rather than getting some budget generic thing I was thinking about using my current rig for the office and building a new gaming rig.

Perhaps another option (challenge?) would be to keep my current rig, but stick a 4070 Ti Super in it (will my RM750x PSU being able to handle it?) and replace the work computer with a cheap build and stick the 1660 Super in it. Currys do an Acer with an i5-12400 for £549, but I've not idea about the PSU for connecting to the 1660 Super. Would it be possible to build a rig from OC components to match that Acer for around £550? I'm thinking about the Ryzen 5 4500 etc?

Ahh, I see,.. so upgrading your current PC doesn't do what you want.

Hmm, these kind of prebuilds are awkward because of their use of proprietary components, it is hard to predict what upgradability they have. You could try finding a service manual based on the model number.

The 12400 doesn't actually need a graphics card and they're pretty affordable at the moment, so I expect you could get close to that price, but since your current rig is a CPU that performs near identical it seems like a waste when AM5 would move you onto a new platform.

I'll reverse my previous comments, go AM5, though I'd suggest a 4070 Super if you can afford the extra.

I think no matter which path I take, it's going to cost a fair amount simply because of these Nvidia cards still being such high in price. I'll have a good ponder over what to do.

Thanks for all the help.

There is one alternative, a bit weird, but: you could buy the AM5 system without a graphics card (all AM5 CPUs except -F have integrated graphics) and temporarily use it for your work and then when you're ready to buy (and there is something more attractive, new cards are due this year, I think), you could put the graphics card in and swap usage from work to games.

Nice, I like the outside of the box thinking. I'll have a look at some prices and see what there is.

PBO precision boost overdrive... you just enable it in bios and that's it, it does the resyt...a bit like enabling expo for ram

you already have a good rig, and of course you're gaming at 4k resolution you say, so more of the grunt work moves to the gpu rather than the cpu, so really the best bet is a gpu upgrade
I don't see the point of the 4070, the 4070super is 16% faster for less of a % price upgrade, making it a no brainer...from 4070super to 4070ti super a bit more tricky

4070 £530 100%
4070s £580 116% performance of 4070 for 9.4% more money
4070tisupr £800 136% perf for 51% more money
4080super £959 161% perf for 81.9% more money
4090 £1549 199% per for 192.3% more money

so if a game scales at samer perf and lets say 4070 game is 100fps then cost per frame would be £5.30
4070s would get 116fps so £5 per frame
4070tis would be £5.88
4080s would be £5.95
4090 would be £7.78

now really the higher up the stack you go the price should stretch but in the 4070sup the cost per frame drops, so it makes it better value than the 4070
but the 4070ti goes the other way, which is to be expected as it's higher up the stack
the outlier to me in the 4000 series is the 4080super as it's nearly the same cost per frame as the 4070ti, where it should be way more as it's a higher tier gpu....now seeing as they're so expensive, in reality, that just tells me the 4070tisuper is too expensive(should be closer to £700 to be in line with performance for me, in the stck so to speak)
and the 4090 is premium, but look at the cost per frame

so for me I'd either look at the 4070super which will give up a 49% uplift in gaming vs the 3060ti or the 4080super which will give you a 107% uplift compared to the 3060ti...and is a true 4k gpu

caveat being at the end of the year new gen cards should be realease, but last rumour i saw is that the5080/5090 might be delayed to next year, and the lower cards will be much later, much like the 4000 series launch

Crickey, that's a lot of man maths! lol Lots of stuff to take in there, let me think some more about it all. I'm kind of tempted just to replace the work computer with something from PC World as Photoshop is CPU heavy, so a reasonable i5 should be enough and look at the graphics card for my gaming rig. Would my 5600X processor or X570 MB be a bottleneck for the 4070 Super? I'm also assuming it only needs two 8 pin power connectors and not three?

Also, my gaming rig is set for 4k for applications, but for gaming I usually only run 2k at the most. It's only VR which is the real intensive stuff. The unvolting has certainly helped because it had switched to default recently and things were stuttering a bit, but after checking and applying the previously saved graph and settings, everything was lovely again, so I think a 4070 etc would make a fair difference.

Yeah sorry, I've made it all a bit messy! lol

There's three computers in the mix:

1. Work PC with a horrific i5-4460 and no GPU. Used for various business applications but also Adobe stuff including Photoshop which struggles on this computer. It is now dying a slow death so needs to be replaced.
2. My Gaming Rig with Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX3060Ti FE, X570 Tomahawk, RM750x PSU
3. Son's Gaming Rig with an i7-3770k, 1660 Super, RM750x PSU and I can't remember the motherboard, but obviously a Socket 1155.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First chain of thought was:

1. Build myself a new gaming rig
2. Donate my current gaming rig to my son
3. Use my son's current gaming rig as my work PC

This would involve OS refreshes on all three and reinstalling lots of software. Also, I'm concerned that the i7-3770k processor isn't only marginally more powerful than the i5-4460, so may not be suitable for Photoshop work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second chain of thought was:

1. Build myself a new gaming rig
2. Swap my 3060 TI FE with my son's 1660 Super so he now has a more powerful graphics card
3. Use my current gaming rig with the 1660 Super as my work PC

This would be a lot easier from a software point of view because I could keep the OS on my gaming rig, it's already got Microsoft Office, work emails, Adobe suite etc all installed on it so there would only be a few extra bits of software to install to make it work ready. My son's gaming rig would remain unchanged with regard to software. The new gaming rig would obviously need a full install.

Third chain of thought was:

1. Buy an off-the-self computer for work such as the Acer with an i5-12400 processor, which I feel would be more than powerful enough.
2. Buy a 4700 Super for my gaming rig
3. Put my 3060Ti FE into my son's gaming rig

But I now have a spare 1660 Super which I'm not sure could work in the Acer computer, although that's not a deal breaker.

The issue I have with my third chain of thought, is that it would not be far off cost wise from the first two chain of thoughts - both of which would get me a new gaming rig. But do I really need a new gaming rig when I feel that all I really need is a graphics card upgrade? My third chain of thought is probably the least amount of work as well, although I do love a new build! lol

I really appreciate all the help so far because I really want to get this right and make the best decision.

Last edited:
Option two is the best, it saves you the hassle of reinstalling everything and gets you a new upgradeable gaming PC.

I think you are right, plus it gives me a decent rig for work that will probably be easier to upgrade in the future if necessary, rather than some off-the-shelf one.

Many thanks everyone, what a great place this is! Now that the direction I'm heading is decided, I just need to finalise the specs of the new rig. I'll have another look at the earlier suggestions.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've got more to think about now! On the plus side, I've remember that I have a spare WD Black 1TB M.2 7000MB/s sitting here (after me not wanting WD lol) so that knocks £100+ off a build.

My son mainly games on the Xbox and PS5, but that's mainly because of his friends all being on them. His PC gaming is quite limited just now, but I suspect that may change as he gets older and the i7-3770k and motherboard must be going on 14 years now, so could be worth changing (feeling a bit nostalgic about it because it served me well for a long time). I guess it would open up PCVR for him as well by having my current rig.

Also, just a thought but could I use my current gaming rig M.2 in the new gaming rig seeing as I would be sticking with AMD; would it just be some driver updates? That would save me a ton of software install work.

Will need to look at the numbers with all this.

Thanks all, I'll need to figure out a few things now with spec for my new gaming rig.

This build posted earlier by Craig looks good (I've taken the SSD out)

1 x Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI (Socket AM5) DDR5 ATX Motherboard (SKU: MB-6K0-AS) = £169.99
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 7600 Six Core 5.10GHz (Socket AM5) Processor - Retail (SKU: CP-3DW-AM) = £182.99
1 x TeamGroup Delta RGB 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-44800C30 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (FF3D532G6000HC30DC01) (SKU: MY-0B8-TG) = £109.99
1 x Corsair RMe Series RM850e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply v2 (CP-9020263-UK) (SKU: CA-27N-CS) = £124.99
1 x Zotac GeForce RTX 4070 Super Twin Edge 12Gb Graphics Card (SKU: GRA-ZTC-01499) = £548.99
1 x Phanteks XT Pro Ultra ATX Case Tempered Glass Window, Black (SKU: CAS-PHK-01443) = £66.95

Is TeamGroup ram any good, I've never heard of them? I guess ultimately there's only a few actual manufacturers, but I like to check first.

I'm not sure about the case, I use top case fans and it looks a little squished. I guess cases are a bit of a personal choice thing to some extend. I do like those giant front fans in the Lian Li 215.

If going with the Lian Li 215 then total cost is £1,226.94

Regarding the work build, I've come up with this and all brand new with OC (I can't remember how to generate the list, so manually copying and pasting each item):
  • Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 (AMD AM4) B550 ATX = £104.99
  • AMD Ryzen 5 4500 Six Core 4.1GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail = £74.99
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-29200C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2D3600C18) = £39.65
£219.63 in total, which seems decent enough.

Total cost will be £1,446.57 which I feel is pretty good considering there's going to be three upgrades. As much as it may be better to wait for prices to drop when new generations come out, the work pc is going to die soon so I'd rather not be caught out and end up having to buy a generic off-the-shelf computer.

I thought you were using your current PC for your work build? Are you giving your current PC to your son now?

I think it looks squished in the picture partly because the top fans are an AIO and the radiator adds a lot of vertical thickness.

I was, but I think it is probably time to upgrade that i7-3770k and as suggested it will be the bottleneck. It does make sense to now do a full musical chairs! lol I know it will involve a lot more software installing, but fortunately I have a 1Gbps internet and with the fast M.2 drives I'm hoping it won't take too long to download and install everything.

Thanks for pointing out the water cooling, that makes sense.

Have you any thoughts on TeamGroup RAM?

Ah, I see.

Hmm. I'm not a huge fan of the 4500 or fitting 16GB, though I can appreciate you don't want to spend loads and the 4500 is a decent price.

CPU: it is basically a 3600 in performance level.
Memory: 16GB is going to be replaced sooner rather than later.

For the same budget, I'd get a 12100F instead since it performs better, this might help:

I noticed that PassMark benchmarks show both the 4500 and the 5500 being higher scored than the 12100F? Although, the single thread rating is much higher with the Intel one. Seems odd that he was getting better results, or am I missing something?

As am4, i was thinking more 2nd hand for the parts...just had a quick look on mktplace and you can get a 5800x for £90. I def wouldn't buy anything below a 5600 am4, i think the 5500 and below are somewhat gimped, and would go intel 12th gen if going that way, as @Tetras has put above. mobo's you just have to be patient, put £80 should get you a decent one, and you can get teamgroup vulcan 32gb 3200C16 for £60 brand new on OCuk, 2nd hand you should get for £30-40 (actually seen corsair vengeance lpx in that price bracket now) ...£220 for a 4500 with 16gb ram is too much to spend I think
the teamgroup delta 6000C30 is good value at £109 for OCuk. it's not expo but it constantly sells out quickly and they're been no real reports of it not working...if you want to stick with corsair or gskill, I'd look at buying elsewhere...for example elsewhere you can get corsair vengeance RGB 32gb 6000C36 expo on offer for £105.38 or £121 for 6000c30 (both of which ar £139.99 below)

The lian li 215 is 3 years old..can take a 240/280mm aio in roof but that's it..the 216 that replaced it is longer and can take a 360mm aio, and by default a longer gpu (they redesigned the 215 as a 4090 wouldn't fit in it, and also better airflaw) ...it's better quality that the phanteks but more expensive...you'd have to jump up more towards the NV5 for that, but that comes without fans, so would be additionsal costs so to speak
The phanteks xt view is same chassis as the xt ultra, but glass at from and fans on side...again can take a 360mm in top, and as a guide, that and the ultra can actually fit a gpu up to 420mm in length..the 215 is 370mm i think

My basket at OcUK:
to add prices and links..put everything in your basket, then go to your cart...at the bottom of the cart (after you scroll past the insure your products etc) will be a a box with '<>BBCODE'. click that, another box comes up with your contents..highlight it all and copy...then in the forum paste and in the top right of the typing area you'll see some icons..1st is an anticlockwise arrow, then clockwise..3rd in a black box...after you've pasted hit that and it'll change the text pasted to above...hope that helps and you can follow

Ah, I didn't notice that about the 215 and the restricted length, cheers. I'm a little reluctant to go used for computer parts, especially for a work machine where I wouldn't like an increased risk of failure and losing my work. Performance wise, so long as it can handle Photoshop and Illustrator smoothly I'll be happy and it's mainly graphic design work (my big edits I do on my gaming rig), perhaps 32GB would be a better call just to be safe, although I could always upgrade later?

there's also cases like the corsair 4000d airflow...no rgb or anything but a very well put together case..again not the longest, you'd have to jump to a 5000 series for that, but that's jumped in price now and i think way too much (i have a 5000x case but I wouldn't buy it now with the price tag they have now)..they're launching a 3500x which looks similar to the nv5 for £89, or you can have it with 3 rgb intake fans for £119.99..on preorder at mo...I can stick a whole load of vids up fore you to look if you want..including the 216, which has excellent reviews..was just trying to keep your costs down a bit

you're right though..the way a case looks is personal to the person buying..then you just got to find reviews to check whether any good...

Thanks, appreciate that. I think I need to digest all this info I'm getting! lol

No, you're right, if you're running heavily multithreaded software that takes awhile to complete the task then the Ryzen CPUs are faster, but the majority of apps and users (including gamers) benefit more from the stronger single thread of the 12100.

I know Photoshop uses all the threads, so maybe I would be best to stick with AMD?

I've spent a little time looking over things and here's where I'm at:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £914.42 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

I've generally stuck to components recommended on here, but I've changed the MB to an MSI one as it's on a sale and I like MSI, it's just a preference thing really. Unless there is something terrible about it that should put me back to the ASUS one?

After doing some tests on my current work computer I never get near 16GB, so I'm happy to stick to that and if necessary it's easy enough to just pop another pair of 8GB sticks in later on.

I've not included a graphics card because I'm not sure about Zotac. I know it will be a little more expensive, but I think I will to stick to FE even if it means getting the 4700 instead, but if the 4700 Super comes into stock soon then even better. I'm saving on the SSD thanks to finding that spare one so that helps offset. So, I'm thinking about initially popping the 3060 Ti FE into the new gaming rig, moving the 1660 Super into my old gaming rig being donated to my son (he's only really doing Roblox just now) and I've got some lower end GPU's floating around that I can stick in the new work rig. It only takes a few minutes to swap a graphics card, so no big deal.

Can't believe it's £914 without a graphics card! lol But then again, Nvidia have just split their stock so they will probably keep going up for the next 12 months (estimated 25%) unless something big happens in the market. I wonder if the 4070's will go up or down....

EDIT:

I knew I'd forgotten something....CPU cooler! lol

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-dolomit-advanced-120mm-argb-cpu-cooler-black-hs-05v-al.html = £34.99

I'm still not dismissing just doing a cheap build for the work PC and getting the 4070/4070 Super. I've got a case I can reuse, possibly even the PSU and the SSD. So that could mean:

[*]1 x AMD Ryzen 5 4500 Six Core 4.1GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail (SKU: CP-3D4-AM) = £74.99
[*]1 x MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus (AMD AM4) B550 ATX Motherboard (SKU: MB-35A-MS) = £107.49
[*]1 x Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (SKU: MY-0AK-TG) = £35.99

Total: £218.47 (only £182 once the vodka and tonic is recovered) plus the FE card so anywhere between £440 and £482 net, so a maximum of £664. As I understand my 5600X won't bottleneck a 4700, but then there is the problem of the i7-3770k bottlenecking the 3060Ti, but going forward it would be less of an upgrade for him in the future.

Last edited:
Justvremember the b650 is an mATX mobo, and the b550 one has no wifi on it. Can't remember if that was you that wanted wifi..sorry on my phone at mo

Oh crap, I cant' believe I missed that despite looking out to avoid a micro-ATX. I'm not bothered about WiFi though as I have a dedicated TUF AX5400 for connecting to the Quest 3. Will need to look at MB again.

Back
Top Bottom