New build troubleshooting

Associate
E6600
Gigabyte N680i DQ6
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition
WD Raptor 150GB

Everythings at stock.

Sometimes when it attempts to load Windows I get a message saying ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

And sometimes it'll load Windows fine, and then sometimes it'll reboot after a random period of time.

One thing that will always cause it to reboot is running the Folding@Home Windows SMP client and Core Temp 0.95 at the same time, though I can run either program on it's own with no problems.

I've stress tested the CPU for hours and swapped it into another PC and it worked perfectly, so I don't think theres anything wrong with that.

I've run a Memtest from within windows until it reached 100% however that cannot test the memory Windows is using obviously. I will run MemTest86+ overnight tonight.

I have spoken to OCZ they told me to change a few settings but it didn't make any difference, then they said try swapping to memory into another PC and if it doesn't work they'll sort out an RMA for me.

Gigabyte have been fairly useless they just said you need to work out which bit is faulty... Made me laugh cause I had kinda figured that much out already.

Basically if theres anything anyone cant think of or suggest please let me know.

misterPK said:
Have you checked your harddrive for errors?

Oh and what power supply do you have?

PK!

I haven't run a complete check on it but I have been using it to move data between two computers and it's been working fine. How can I test it properly? CHKDSK? or Some other program?

PSU: Xclio Greatpower 750watt

BAMBI said:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

This might help, though from the sound of it the system is unstable and has corrupted your OS. As gigabyte suggested you need to isolate the problem by changing around hardware. Try one stick of ram at a time?

Thats the funny thing it's not always corrupt if I reboot it it'll usually load Windows fine :confused:

With only one stick of RAM it fails pretty much everytime even the BIOS freezes, doesn't matter which stick.

BAMBI said:
Ive had the OS corrupt and it would load 80% of the time. Have you tried to oc yet? or just built it had had this problem??

I've installed XP from two different CD's about five times so it could be the HDD, though I have used it to transfer about 30GB of files which all still work fine.

It's all brand new, and no OC attempt yet.

Back
Top Bottom