New Build/Upgrade (sense check) - and legacy question

Associate
Hi :)

In the process of building a new PC which I'd appreciate a sense check on! Build is currently as follows.

I already have:
  • Monitor (1440)
  • 3060ti FE
  • 16gb CL16 DDR4 Ram
  • MSI B550 Gaming Edge wifi

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £677.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)

The PSU is probably overkill, but does mean it'll probably last into a further new build or upgrade (and run quieter)
Thinking that a second NVME would be a good idea

I'd also welcome thoughts on what to do with my old PC :D in sig.. other than

1) sell it
2) give it away
3) interesting room ornament

Thanks!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can’t see your old PC specs as I have sigs turned off. Is it complete? If so A family friend with a ten year old (or thereabouts) or niece/nephew looking to get into PC gaming would make a great present for them.

Associate
OP
I can’t see your old PC specs
Kolink Stronghold : AMD Ryzen 5 2600 : Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 Wifi : Gigabyte 1070Ti Gaming : Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3200 : Bitfenix 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU : EVO 970 500GB NVMe

No monitor for it, although that's an easy addition.

Nephews do come to mind, but they like their consoles.. which arguably for gaming is preferable.

Man of Honour
Kolink Stronghold : AMD Ryzen 5 2600 : Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 Wifi : Gigabyte 1070Ti Gaming : Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3200 : Bitfenix 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU : EVO 970 500GB NVMe

No monitor for it, although that's an easy addition.

Nephews do come to mind, but they like their consoles.. which arguably for gaming is preferable.
Thats a decent spec you could sell that but i wouldnt do it on eBay do it locally so you can show the buyer it work's.

Could be one heck of a back up pc :D

Associate
RM850X is on offer at £89.99 elsewhere at mo, though worth checking which version you're getting. you have the new version in your basket which has upgraded fans in it(the website with offer had pics of both old and new so a bit confusing, so worth a call if it's new version), RM750X £79.99, but for extra £10 I'd go with the 850W for possible future upgrades. The WD SN750 1tb also on sale for £107. Agree to get an exhaust fan for case just to help airflow. the corsair 4000d airflow is on offer at £64, or the 4000x with rgb @£88 for alternatives, but that comes to personal pref.
Nice build
i threw my old pc away..was very old but wish I'd kept it now. It was my 1st ever build. yours has 1070ti etc, so is worth a bit. Bet the guy asking what he can get for £300 to £500 would be more that happy for something like that. Don't know if you're allowed to ping private messages for that sort of thing. Shame OCuk don't have a resellers mkt here. If they took a 5% commish think they'd clean up. My idea, I'll want a cut if they do:cry::cry:. but seriously, it could grow massive for them, and also bring people to the store

Associate
Interesting, the OCUK version with the magnetic levitation fan is louder than the other version - 35db v 25db at max
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/corsair-rm850x-2021-power-supply-review
Went with that and another review I can't find atm. They agree with you fan is louder, but also say it's far more reliable and overall, the psu unit is an upgrade to previous generation. On a psu, I'll go with reliability over sound...well, would like both, but given choice..425w is where the fan actually starts up, below that it's silent
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
this is there reviews for best psu at diff power levels also

Associate
OP
Finally got it all built, windows installed, files all copied over, etc, etc.. lovely job :) - the Lian Li is a hefty beast!

As for the old PC - everything deleted, windows reinstalled - now just sitting there waiting for some inspiration! - it's still a good PC with the 1070ti..

Oh, and the near silence - wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom