New build won't recognise USB

Associate
Just built a new computer with an MSI B450 Mortar and it has booted and installed Windows fine.

I need to install Network drivers as it will not connect to the internet via the network cable, but the build doesn't have a DVD drive so I have opted to do this via USB. I downloaded the B450M drivers on another computer and transferred them via USB to the new build.

Unfortunately when inputting the USB Stick into new build it only shows up with "D: EFI", which contains nothing at all. Looking at it's properties it's only 200mb large and I know for a fact that the USB stick is 16GB.

What should I do to solve this?

On device manager pretty much everything is unrecognised, but "SanDisk Cruzer Facet USB Drive" does show up under disk drives. I've tried uninstalling this and then removing/reinserting but the device can still only be opened at "D: EFI".

Thank you

Soldato
Is it a USB 3.0 stick? I have seen some computers that don't like to boot from USB 3.0 sticks, but they tend to be older.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses.

I created the windows installer USB drive on computer 1.

The problem arises with USB drive 2, not windows installer USB drive, and on computer 2.

USB drive 2 is a separate USB drive which I have put some motherboard drivers on to move to computer 2 with fresh windows installation. It is not being recognised by computer 2.

I don't want to free up the USB stick as it works fine on computer 1.

All I can think of to install the motherboard drivers is to remove the SSD from computer 2 and transfer it temporarily to computer 1 for a file transfer, then move back to computer 2 for installation.

Soldato
Plug the USB stick into the PC, right click the start bubble and select disk management and delete all of the partitions on the USB stick, if there is 2 or 3 partitions on the same USB stick, delete them all, once it tells you the whole drive is an unpartitioned space, re-initialize the USB stick in the same window and format it.

You can also try the same thing using DISKPART in an elevated CMD window, instructions here: https://tabernusupport.freshdesk.co...52-using-diskpart-to-re-partition-a-usb-stick

there is 2 things missing off the end of those instructions, they are:

assign (to assign the drive a letter)
exit (to exit diskpart)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the responses.

I created the windows installer USB drive on computer 1.

The problem arises with USB drive 2, not windows installer USB drive, and on computer 2.

USB drive 2 is a separate USB drive which I have put some motherboard drivers on to move to computer 2 with fresh windows installation. It is not being recognised by computer 2.

I don't want to free up the USB stick as it works fine on computer 1.

All I can think of to install the motherboard drivers is to remove the SSD from computer 2 and transfer it temporarily to computer 1 for a file transfer, then move back to computer 2 for installation.

Since USB drive 1 was able to successfully install Windows 10 on computer 2, try using USB drive 1 to transfer all the drivers and setup files.

Soldato
Is the problematic USB stick still working in computer 1?

On computer 2, what does Disk Management say about the USB stick?

From what i can see online the only way to format the USB drive is through Diskpart, doing this should still make it usable on both computers.

Back
Top Bottom