New build

Associate
Recently I upgraded my GPU to a Vega 56 Red Devil by Power Color and it has got me thinking, the rest of my desktop is currently 7+ years old. I'm in desperate need to build a new desktop for gaming, currently my case is a Corsair 540, I originally planned on watercooling my current build, but as I was studying at the time, I couldn't afford a custom water cooled loop.

Since then my requirements have changed, I use a lot more of my desk space for non computer related work, soldering, painting etc. So I would like to build a small form factor high powered machine, which incorporates my new GPU.

I really like the look of the phanteks evolv shift and shift x, though my question to you all is this.

Are there any other nice looking small form factor cases which will fit my red devil?

For more information here is the parts list I am thinking about:

Vega 56 Red Devil (Already own)
Ryzen 7 1700 (to buy)
ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING AMD B350 (possibly this one)
16Gb of DDR4 (not sure which timings are the best)
M.2 256 Samsung
6Tb HDD (for games and storage)
2x 250GB SSD RAID 0 for documents. (already own)
SX800-LTI SFX SERIES - 800 WATT '80 PLUS TITANIUM' MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

Last edited:
Man of Honour
16Gb of DDR4 (not sure which timings are the best)
if money is no object, then the teamgroup 8pack ram - CL14 with samsung b-die is best with ryzen

M.2 256 Samsung
6Tb HDD (for games and storage)
better to have a bigger ssd to put games to, imo
might as well have the faster loading times for the programs you actually use
then keep the HDD solely for media files

Vega 56 Red Devil
small form factor cases
thing is that vega is a very hot running card, in sff, you'll probably hit thermal throttling limits
also red devil is a big card :S

Associate
OP
Yer red devil is 316mm which should fit in the evolv shift as it can take up to 350mm cards. It'll be a close fit but it should fit length wise. Not sure about height though.

I'll have a look at the 8 pack memory. After all the last two builds I have done both lasted me 7-8 years. So a decent investment now will keep me game for a few years to come.

Man of Honour
Devil is a 2.5/3 slot card, you'll need clearance (width wise) for the fans to actually move air around. Mitx cases have 2 slots, some 3. Need to consider that too

Associate
OP
Devil is a 2.5/3 slot card, you'll need clearance (width wise) for the fans to actually move air around. Mitx cases have 2 slots, some 3. Need to consider that too

I thought that would be my main problem. Thats annoying the Phanteks Evolv Shift only accepts 2 slot cards. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Back
Top Bottom