New car time

Soldato
Bought this earlier today :D:

S-type_01.jpg

S-type_02.jpg

S-type_03.jpg

S-type_04.jpg

S-type_05.jpg

Just a few quick pics so far, need to go back and drive it away :)

Summary: 2006 Jaguar S-type, just over 100k miles. 4.2L V8 n/a

Main issues to sort
  • Check engine light on w/ pre-cat O2 sensor error codes
  • Irregular idle (not misfiring) especially when cold
  • NSR suspension needs attention (currently an inch lower than the other side)

Last edited:
Very nice, similar interior design to my XJ. O2 sensor issues are very common on those: if you end up sourcing a sensor yourself, beware of non-jaguar sensors - I bought one and it didn't fix the error, despite appearing to be compatible. The genuine Jaguar part ended up costing me £130ish in the end, which wasn't too bad.

Also check the lower rear wishbones: another very common issue, and quite expensive to replace. Contrary to what Jaguar say, you can buy lower rear wishbone bushes and re-bush the wishbones, which works out a lot cheaper.

I was looking at these before I bought my current car. Lovely interior on this one, looks like it's been looked after for the most part.

I'm sure it's nice to drive and own but for me the looks completely ruin it. I can't get on with the wood interior or outside of it at all. I do love the new ones though (XF, XJ etc..).

I bet it worked out a lot cheaper than any of it's 'rivals' though so I can understand why people go for them.

Thanks for the replies all :)

HPI check came through as saying list price is £5345.
Issues aside for a moment, alternative S-types on Autotrader only start becoming comparable at around £6k and up - mostly because this one is so new (2006) - but also it's very well specced.
Spec includes adaptive cruise control, nav (very dated now but improves the interior look and does have full postcode lookup!), alpine sound system, heated front windscreen and seats, rear electric sunblind (currently broken) and I suspect xenons as well (any ideas how I can tell?)
The interior is actually in very good nick, a bit of wear over the leather driver's bolster but nothing to write home about. It was a nice place to be on the way up the M1 through the average speed limit zone, normally I'm on and off cruise control due to no space to overtake and people ahead slowing down, here I just set it and let it adjust the speed for me :D

Very nice, similar interior design to my XJ. O2 sensor issues are very common on those: if you end up sourcing a sensor yourself, beware of non-jaguar sensors - I bought one and it didn't fix the error, despite appearing to be compatible. The genuine Jaguar part ended up costing me £130ish in the end, which wasn't too bad.

Also check the lower rear wishbones: another very common issue, and quite expensive to replace. Contrary to what Jaguar say, you can buy lower rear wishbone bushes and re-bush the wishbones, which works out a lot cheaper.

Yeah I've heard stories about non-genuine sensors, thanks. That seems to be the case for oxygen sensors in general, at least the same applies to Golf Mk4s..
What happens to the lower rear wishbones (what am I checking for? :p)?
Like I say, the rear passenger side is sitting about an inch closer to the top of the tyre so something bad has happened that needs fixing.

I'm sure it's nice to drive and own but for me the looks completely ruin it. I can't get on with the wood interior or outside of it at all. I do love the new ones though (XF, XJ etc..).

I bet it worked out a lot cheaper than any of it's 'rivals' though so I can understand why people go for them.

I can appreciate the looks being marmite. TBH I never got on with the front end on these but it's grown on me over the past few years and I quite like it now. Have you seen the wood interior in person?

Last edited:
Yeah I've heard stories about non-genuine sensors, thanks. That seems to be the case for oxygen sensors in general, at least the same applies to Golf Mk4s..
What happens to the lower rear wishbones (what am I checking for? :p)?
Like I say, the rear passenger side is sitting about an inch closer to the top of the tyre so something bad has happened that needs fixing.

You do have xenons :). The bushes on the lower rear wishbones wear out - they're the same models used on my XJ. I didn't notice any knocking but there was a bit of tramlining and the car felt noticeably better once they were rebushed. I doubt that's the cause of the rear passenger side sitting lower though, I'm not an expert on the suspension on these, but if it's an air system their could be an air leak near the top mount?

You do have xenons :). The bushes on the lower rear wishbones wear out - they're the same models used on my XJ. I didn't notice any knocking but there was a bit of tramlining and the car felt noticeably better once they were rebushed. I doubt that's the cause of the rear passenger side sitting lower though, I'm not an expert on the suspension on these, but if it's an air system their could be an air leak near the top mount?

I haven't got CATS and I'm pretty sure the suspension isn't a fancy air one. Really I just need to have a look but it's dark and I'll probably have to take the wheel off.

Unfortunately the interior style and particularly the wood ruins it for me too, and I have seen it in person. But tbh I hate wood in cars and I hate most jags too tbh - for what its worth these are a nice lump of a thing when they are working, as I said in the other thread if you are prepared to be hands on it should serve you well

Well, had a productive day today - with much swearing, fixed the rear parking sensor; refitted the missing trim between the front headlights, and sorted the rear electric blind to the extent that it's hidden and that if I decide to get handy with a sewing kit and something to stop the arm sliding out, I could make it functional again, but can't be bothered at the moment.

Now just the important things to do :p

I decided the first step in changing the lambda sensor would be to clear the fault codes and see if the error comes back (you never know) so now the waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom