• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New card arrived today, not woking..HELP!!!

Soldato
Hi, I got some stuff today including the ASUS HD 3850 X2 graphics card from OcUK. However I can't get it to work :(

Here are the rest of my system specs...

Antec Super LANboy
P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530, 3.0Ghz (OC'd to 3.4GHz)
2 X 2GB Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel (4GB total)
Antec TruePower 550-Watt Power Supply
300GB Seagate Baracude SATA300 7400rpm HDD

Basically the card is an "unoffcial" ATI card so you have to install the drivers from Asus. When I plugged it in I...

Used two 6pin connectors (adapted by connecting both female connectors to the PSU main cables on two adapters) to connect to the card. The advice says you can do this despite one of the slots being and 8pin, it states that the 8 pin is for card OCing and should be used with a 750w PSU.

..Upon booting, the screen was working but it was choppy and I couldn't select many resolutions. Before I did anything, XP told me it had installed the drivers for my new hardware and wanted to immediately restart. So I let it but as expected the display adapter wasn't being recognised. So I installed the driver utility and the software from the CD, rebooted but they software just displayed a warnings saying it couldn't recognise my hardware.

I have tried the latest drivers from the asus webiste for the card but still no joy....

When I go to device manager there is no Display category and there is an "I" next to PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge, properties state a code 12 error...
Please see... http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4999/gfxerror.jpg

Asus advise using a 600W PSU and mine is only 550W could this be it? Have I powered it correctly (on the 6 pin adapter you get two females cables coming off, I have attached BOTH of this to males connectors from my PSU and I have done this for both 6pin adapters I need), Is my motherbaord/processsor not "man" enough for the card? This article says that the 3870 X2 doesn't have compatibility issues and doesn't require a crossfire enabled mobo, so it should be the same for the 3850 X2 right?

*Extra Info
I have tried with and without using my onboard OC tool. I have tried disabling some non-essential onboard devices in the BIOS. I tried removing the card and drivers from the system and reinstalling without Plug anf Play enabled (to rule out the intial unknown drivers Windows automatically loads) but I couldn't get the device manager to work and the ASUS drivers wouldn't install untill I renabled P&P.

Please help! I'm looking to spend around £200 in a couple of weeks of a new mobo and a core duo processor so if anyone can suggest a Mobo (DDR2 please, only bought that RAM today), a PSU (750w min please), and a Core Duo processor that will work with my GFX card, RAM, HDD and case (the 3850X2 has to squeeze it but it does just about fit :)) for that price that would be awesome. I have the bits left over to make a PC I can sell to a friend for £100 so I maybe tempted to go a little over budget if needed but I see this build being something to see me through the next 6-8 months before I do a monster set up for Win7. I am also planning to get Vista 64 to take advantage of extra RAM.

Thanks in advance for any advice, especially if you can sort my issues without a upgrade!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Try updating your motherboard / chipset drivers.

Re: Upgrade - I don't think you need to get a new PSU, although the one you've chosen is awesome.

Motherboard - I would go P45 chipset.

CPU - great choice.

You will get a nice performance boost from a new CPU and mobo...

Soldato
OP
Try updating your motherboard / chipset drivers.

Re: Upgrade - I don't think you need to get a new PSU, although the one you've chosen is awesome.

Motherboard - I would go P45 chipset.

CPU - great choice.

You will get a nice performance boost from a new CPU and mobo...

I have the latest BIOS 1006 :(

P45, OK, that does add quite a bit to the cost (£271 total) if I go for this? Opinion?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-172-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1155

Permabanned
Power power ! U need a better psu dude with 8 pin and amd drivers should work fine with the card. Don't use cd drivers because they are 1 year old.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't suggest upgrading to a s775 dual core, these things are almsost EOL and not exactly worth it considering the AMD option:

241x3.png

You may notice, I added a graphics card not a PSU. You already have a fantastic PSU, its just that the current GPU is old, power-hungry tech. You would be much better with a much more efficient, newer tech, single GPU card. A decent 600W PSU will cost around this price anyway.

Soldato
OP
Tempting cmndr_andi but I will have to gove the CPU away when I sell my old PC (I'll earn £150 from doing that), besides I only got the card yesterday and don't think OcUK would take it back

Soldato
Tempting cmndr_andi but I will have to gove the CPU away when I sell my old PC (I'll earn £150 from doing that), besides I only got the card yesterday and don't think OcUK would take it back

OCUK guys are reasonable chaps, if you send them a webnote and expain your situation I'm sure they will see the light. As you have only had the card for a day, it should make sending it back easier, just gather up the box it came in and all the other stuff.

If you want to stick with AMD, this is their equivalent of the GTS 250 (its a faster, better option to be honest).

Back
Top Bottom