• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New card but G-Sync monitor

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on G-Sync still being relevant?

I have a 1080ti and a Dell S2716DG and am considering a move to a 3080 (Xmas 2022 is not that far away) as I feel I'm kinda tied into Nvidia.
My other option is jump over to Team Red with a 6800xt.

Taking into account the predicted performance of the 6800xt, do you feel that G-Sync offers any advantage these days for gaming at 1440?

I like the idea of ray tracing and what it offers but my wallet doesn't understand this concept.

Mods: Not sure if this should be in Graphics or Monitors.

Associate
It was the deciding factor for my purchase, G-sync screen i wish to keep, or upgrade screen to free s-sync with 6000 series, by the time i had factored in the screen price for high end screen and GFX card, it was better to stay with NV for g-sync.
even if the 6000 series ends up a few percent faster i wont cry about it. it suited my purchase decision to stay with NV this round.

Associate
I have the S2417DG, which is a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor. From my research, this generation of monitor has the full G-Sync controller and it's not compatible with AMD.

I too am in the same boat, with a 1080 Ti at present and I'm limited to sticking with Nvidia.

Associate
That's the one thing that pushed me to AMD this time, changing monitor from UW to 4k. If I was staying in UW I'd have stuck with NV as my 8700k does just fine.

Associate
Why not try running a few days with gsync disabled and see if you can live with it, currently what i am trying as also have s2716dg (epic monitor). If you can live without it what is there to lose assuming the new cards provide the brute force needed to keep those frames high.

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on G-Sync still being relevant?

I have a 1080ti and a Dell S2716DG and am considering a move to a 3080 (Xmas 2022 is not that far away) as I feel I'm kinda tied into Nvidia.
My other option is jump over to Team Red with a 6800xt.

Taking into account the predicted performance of the 6800xt, do you feel that G-Sync offers any advantage these days for gaming at 1440?

I like the idea of ray tracing and what it offers but my wallet doesn't understand this concept.

Mods: Not sure if this should be in Graphics or Monitors.

There are some amazing Freesync 2 monitor out there way less than G-syncs price wise, I got a Freesync a few months ago been running G-sync on my 2070 perfectly fine.
Nvidia another own goal trying to lock people in with systems, then quoted as "Well if AMD dont lock us out of PCIE Bar we will be compatible" lol like nvidia wouldn't if they didnt think of it first haha.

Permabanned
I owned some 20 series cards and I have to say that I think people were often so intent on criticising Ray Tracing that they forgot that the 20 series were a powerful set of cards in their own right. Sure, NVIDIA foolishly expected us to buy in to Ray Tracing, but I think they learnt their lesson now. DLSS by the way certainly does work and makes a dramatic difference to frame rate. That's got to be worth something.

I think there are still a lot of people like me out there that would never buy AMD under any circumstances so to those people G-Sync is not something to be arfaid of. But also I think there are a lot of people like you that see the benefit of Freesync. It seems to me that Freesync monitors are more sought after.

Associate
I owned some 20 series cards and I have to say that I think people were often so intent on criticising Ray Tracing that they forgot that the 20 series were a powerful set of cards in their own right. Sure, NVIDIA foolishly expected us to buy in to Ray Tracing, but I think they learnt their lesson now. DLSS by the way certainly does work and makes a dramatic difference to frame rate. That's got to be worth something.

I think there are still a lot of people like me out there that would never buy AMD under any circumstances so to those people G-Sync is not something to be arfaid of. But also I think there are a lot of people like you that see the benefit of Freesync. It seems to me that Freesync monitors are more sought after.

Yer I get you, I dont get why anyone would never buy a product when the world especially the tech one changes so quickly.
I have had and loved my Nvidia GPU's for years, that said I despise how Nvidia manipulate the market price and try and make it like an Apple forced eco system, and if AMD had not been around this time Nvidia would have continued and gained that Apple like monopoly which is no good for you or me the consumer.
G-Sync is a prime example or tech that's designed to force lockin, over priced and totally doesn't need to be, you now have people who would like to try a 6800xt but comment they cant because G-sync.
Its anti consumer.

Associate
G-sync monitor here so I stuck with nvidia and went with a 3090. I have been playing Control with all the ray tracing bells and whistles and I am getting around 90-100 fps on 3440x1440p so G-sync is coming in handy. Plus I plan to keep the card for a while so G-sync will be handy later down the line.

Man of Honour
Unless you can run a locked 120+Hz (depending a bit on personal preference and sensitivity) with a new GPU there isn't really replacing G-Sync if you find it a benefit now.

Have the S2716DG and G-Sync has been great for me as it has allowed me to continue using my GTX1070 long after it otherwise would have been inadequate. Been tempted to change it because this panel does not handle long term use of static content well :( despite otherwise being an epic screen but personally won't go for Adaptive Sync [G-Sync compatible] displays until there is a new revision out as the current standard is lacking feature set wise compared to the G-Sync module (extent of support for non-exclusive fullscreen modes, dynamic variable overdrive, quicker low frame rate recovery amongst other things) and there is a bit of a lacking range of monitors now with the module.

Back
Top Bottom