• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Card Time

Associate
Good Evening OC,

I am after a new card, looking to spend around £200.

I currently have a GTX 560 Ti, it still performs, but is showing its age.

Any recommendations ?

Regards,

Associate
OK here is a first for me... R9 390 (second hand) i got one for my wife, (i have been team green for years and still am. HOWEVER this thing is pretty much as good as my 980 and certainly better than my 970 was. i got a new one (MSI) but i have seen plenty for £200 second hand

Associate
I've heard the AMD cards run at higher Temps than the Nvidia cards. How does the R9 390 run in your wife's PC ?

Warm, about 70c during GTA V but in fairness a 970 is not that far behind in terms of temps. It does however run warmer than a 970 no getting away from that it also uses slightly more power. However you do get a bit more punch and some may argue that 8gb of Vram will last you longer than 3.5gb of Vram that the 970 (yes the whole 3.5/4GB argument could go on for years lets not go there) Personally i cannot see any one using the 8gb of Vram however later down the line if you X-fire them on 1440/4k then you certainly would exceed 4gb.

Associate
they often come on the MM here so keep eyes peeled

but if a 970 came up at the right price then its really splitting hairs between them. However the 970 might fall quicker than a 390 in terms of how long the card will last you.

Associate
yes they do but that is accounting for some one having a lousy cheap psu. a 560watt corsair will be fine as long as your not running a Ton of HDD's. i would imagine your total system wattage of a single card and his CPU will be 450-500 watts maximum

Edit i think they actually recommend 750 watt, however i have just checked my system under full load (furmark) using a watt meter (calibrated) and im pulling 413 watts. i just tried battlefield 4 and peaked at 377 watts. (total system with 4690k) so should be fine on 500+

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom