• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Card......

Associate
In the process of getting a new card.

Which one do you recommend please? Always used ATI, thought I would try a NVIDIA.

Asus GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II 1536MB

or

Gainward GeForce GTX 580 "Phantom" 3072MB GDDR5

I'm open to other recommendations too please.

Currently running a MSI 6970.

Thanks for reading.

Soldato
I would agree with both of the above comments, upgrading from a HD 6970 to a GTX 580 isn't a very big upgrade for a lot of money and the HD 7950 3GB would be a better option if you absolutely must buy another single GPU card.

Have you overclocked your i7 CPU?

Both MMOs (depending which ones you play) and FSX for certain are very CPU-heavy.

As for FSX graphics, AFAIK they are pretty poor no matter what your hardware- you need to either move over to one of the newer flight sims or add a lot of add-ons/mods to make it look nicer.

Last edited:
Soldato
It also may be worth considering using a second HD 6970 2GB in crossfire with your current one (so long as the motherboard and PSU are up to it).

A new 6970 costs £215 and will give a big performance boost, so long as games support crossfire well. Though to be clear there are downsides with crossfire which include: large power draw, a lot of heat in your case, the top card may overheat (depending on system configuration), reliance on crossfire scaling in games and the possibility of microstutter.

Soldato
I have that cheers, its pretty decent. I'm sure they will introduce more area's and planes. I know Alaska is coming soon.

The idea with it being free to play is that microsoft can take a large selection of sex toys and shove them up our arses as we are forced to buy every single pixel in the game individually :mad:

I think I better go to bed now :p

Back
Top Bottom