New career later in life?

Associate
I'm starting to think I want to change career. I currently work in a medical related field which requires a degree. After over 20 years I think I want to do something else (there is no other direction I can or want to take with what I do).

I'm decent at maths and science and technology and I'm a quick learner. I could liquidate my current business, which would give me funds to live and learn.

I would like to work from home but it's not essential. Perhaps being based from home would be good. Of course I would like decent pay ASAP, but if there is a time element to obtaining this I can ride it out.

So can anyone offer any suggestions?

Associate
OP
Is there an industry you’re particularly interested in? Might help to narrow it down.
I've always thought I would like to work like my accountant, who works for himself and from home. I like coding and have a reasonable understating that could be developed. I'm pretty decent at DIY, so maybe a trade such as electrician or plumber or heating engineer, but then I'm not that physical or flexible so tight awkward jobs may be an issue.

Associate
OP
Without getting too personal, do you have to work? Maybe some time off, either temporary or permanent, might give you the release you need from the current situation.
If i got rid of my business it would release funds that would carry me for a while, but I'm not that close to retirement, so would need to do something.

Caporegime
This. I got thrown on the scrapheap and after a while decided I liked it there.

Oh7LbNp.png

Associate
OP
Have you considered being a thief and criminal mastermind?

e: more usefully, are you actively interested in a new career or just slightly jaded with your current one?
I'm genuinely interested in doing something else and as time goes by I become more jaded with the industry I work in, such that I don't wish to be involved with it for the rest of my life. I'm not rich but do have some assets, which may give me the opportunity for change.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm genuinely interested in doing something else and as time goes by I become more jaded with the industry I work in, such that I don't wish to be involved with it for the rest of my life. I'm not rich but do have some assets, which may give me the opportunity for change.

This will sound very obvious and basic but what are you interested in doing? We spend so much of our life at work that it's probably a good idea to do something you enjoy and/or are good at and/or helps others (whatever that may mean). I had an old boss who used to frame it as "Imagine you're on a game show and you have 10 seconds to give your answer. What's your gut feel?". That's your intuitive answer. The harder part might be how to make that a reality but at least it gives you a sense of purpose.

Back
Top Bottom