New case (6xHDD minimum)

Soldato
Room in the 440 club for one more?

Had to order in as local stock was unsuitable in terms of colour, arrives Friday. The R2 - while functionally superior on paper - was bland. Realistically platter density is constantly improving, 11 drives is more than enough and if it isn't, I have 41-45 bays if needed in other boxes. When it gets here I'll measure up for blocks and see if I can squeeze a loop in as well as just looking at the physical size of the BR3P makes me want to go with water on principal.

TR has massive potential, but realistically Ryzen will do for me - my 'cheap' upgrade is into 4 figures so far inc. storage and I've not even built anything yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good luck and LMK how U get on... I am debating Threadripper or maybe Epyc (32C would be overkill but obscenely nice!)

Quick update, 8c/16t is barely breaking a sweat here, I needed to run the beta for Ryzen stability, but it's not needed a reboot since.

Currently running dockers for Plex/VPN/Proxy/News/Torrent/Filebot and several VM's etc. and it's barely breaking a sweat. Admittedly Plex (transcoding), news (PAR/RAR) and VPN (encryption) are the only things that would push a CPU. I've yet to push a VM into it, but plan is W10 with direct pass through which will push it harder.

Soldato
Quick update, 8c/16t is barely breaking a sweat here, I needed to run the beta for Ryzen stability, but it's not needed a reboot since.

Currently running dockers for Plex/VPN/Proxy/News/Torrent/Filebot and several VM's etc. and it's barely breaking a sweat. Admittedly Plex (transcoding), news (PAR/RAR) and VPN (encryption) are the only things that would push a CPU. I've yet to push a VM into it, but plan is W10 with direct pass through which will push it harder.

and highlight the NPT issue which is present (still) on Ryzen (and also Threadripper)... It's why I haven't bought my 1950X yet....

Soldato
and highlight the NPT issue which is present (still) on Ryzen (and also Threadripper)... It's why I haven't bought my 1950X yet....

Yes and no. As I think I mentioned previously this is a workstation/server consolidation for me, gaming is a bonus. I have 4 fully functional servers already running unraid and a dedicated workstation. Stability on the server side is seemingly sorted and has been for a while, the workstation side I have left till last. Having followed the main discussion regarding Ryzen and Unraid since launch, I knew the risks, this is new silicon and it will need time for the existing codebase to be tested/patched, issues are expected. As to the 'no', I doubt loosing 50% GPU performance is going to be noticeable in Corel Draw or the RIP software I use - it's OK on my parallels install using onboard GPU from the MBPr, if your primary usage is gaming, that could well be a deal breaker, but that's not my focus.

Also case wise the NZXT trays suck. They seem to think it's OK to permit drives to be mounted using the central and front mounting points only. My 8TB IronWolf's don't have central mounts so my options are basically to drill and counter sink my own holes to ensure they're securely mounted. I also blame Seagate for the change, but a tray should have three mount points per side, not two.

Also decided I'd have a look at putting water in, pulled a 360 rad from the shelf and as expected you'd likely loose a tray to fit it + fan, a slim 360 though looks like it may well fit as is, possibly use the upper side of the tray for an SSD rather than a full height 3.5".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom