New "Commuting" jacket

Soldato
Hi guys,

As above. I haven't properly commuted for over ten years but start a new job tomorrow and I'm in the market... the last coat, which I still have and use regularly was a North Face, but I need a refresh :D

Waterproof, windproof, comfort are my main requirements.

What's about?

Soldato
OP
How much revenue do you earn?
Enough ;)

...but I don't want an endangered species wrapped round my neck or anything - NF, Berghaus etc. used to be the flavour of the day for winter commuter travel. I'm just so out of touch with current bands and styles, so I thought I'd reach out to all you experts on here.

A decade of hire cars and national travel tend to do this to you!
https://www.berghaus.com/

Soldato
If you're budget-unlimited Arc'teryx do lifestyle shell or lightly insulated jackets which look reasonably snazzy and not like you're about to go skiing or on an artic expedition whilst being properly water/wind-proof. If you don't mind that look then any of the outdoorsy brands will suffice at a cheaper price (maybe make an account on SportsPursuit and look at all the weather-proof jackets on there).

I'd avoid any heavy insulation like down as it severely limits when you can actually wear it - better to have something you can wear most of the year and stick a mid-layer (polartec fleece or lightweight down puffy) on underneath when it's cold rather than something that cooks you unless it's sub-zero outside. It just doesn't get that cold here.

Tbh unless you're going to walk in the rain without an umbrella something like a full-on Goretex Pro 3L jobbie is a bit OTT so if you want something of a particular look or style, as long as it's listed as windproof and has a DWR water-resistant coating you're good to go whether that's Barbour, SuperDry or anything in between.

Soldato
As a lifelong pedestrian, the problem I have with a lot of waterproofs is they're generally too short to cover your backside and trouser pocket area. I don't mind wet legs below that, but I do mind faffing about with waterproof trousers as well. There are some longer jackets around, but it severely limits choice.

I have a longer Haglofs from about 8 years ago which I didn't really like (especially the price!) and is now thoroughly knackered; especially the zip... and the fact it's a sponge not a waterproof any more, no matter how much I spray it. I may end up getting another https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15911368/berghaus-long-cornice-ii-men-s-gore-tex-jacket-15911368 which is what the Haglofs replaced. But it'd be nice to get something in a colour other than 'blend in with the mud'!

Associate
I have a nice down and goretex coat from Arc'teryx - camosun. Looks good and I've never felt cold in it. I wear just a t shirt underneath it most of the time. Warm straight away when I step outside. Expensive yes but if it lasts 5 years at least will be a worthy investment.

It's windproof and waterproof due to the goretex and insulated from the down. Only suitable though for around town. Took it hiking once before I bought some gear and was a mistake. Far too hot when walking up things and it's not really packable. I've since bought hiking jackets for that though .

Back
Top Bottom