new computer / no os

Associate
hi i just bought a pc from this site and decided i didnt need a OS with it since i have loads of cds laying around my query is the pc doesnt have a floppy drive, so how would i go about installing the os? they are bootable cds so im assuming itll all work ok?

cheers for any help

Soldato
You haven't needed a floppy to install an operating system for years. Just insert the Windows XP/Vista/7/Linux disk and boot from it. If it asks for drivers, set your SATA devices in IDE emulation mode in the BIOS.

Soldato
hi i just bought a pc from this site and decided i didnt need a OS with it since i have loads of cds laying around my query is the pc doesnt have a floppy drive, so how would i go about installing the os? they are bootable cds so im assuming itll all work ok?

How were you thinking a floppy drive would help when your OS is on CD?

Associate
OP
haha (embarrasing) well, yeah. the last time i was trying to do a fresh install on a bare computer was a good few years ago. since then i have just upgraded to a computer with a os already installed or upgraded through windows.

Associate
Seriously guys, how can you recommend buying win7 for a guy that is without an os now, win7 ETA is 22/10 and pretty sure if you order now on most places you are going to be a few hundred down on the list of shipping orders
As others have said, put in your XP or vista OS cd/dvd and boot from that and it'll do the trick

Soldato
Seriously guys, how can you recommend buying win7 for a guy that is without an os now, win7 ETA is 22/10 and pretty sure if you order now on most places you are going to be a few hundred down on the list of shipping orders
As others have said, put in your XP or vista OS cd/dvd and boot from that and it'll do the trick

Nobody really said "don't use your PC until 22/10" though, did they? :p Personally OP, I'd download the Windows 7 trial and then when my actual order was delivered (the 'real' CD) I'd format my PC and install that. Windows 7 is definitely the way to go! :D

Associate
Dont listen to this lot .You have a floppy drive in your PC ,then make use of it . Get hold of DOS 6.22 , load it then put Windows 3.1 on and there you have a pretty stable OS .

But seriously ,set the BIOS to boot from CD and stick in a version of XP ,'simples'

Soldato
Dont listen to this lot .You have a floppy drive in your PC ,then make use of it . Get hold of DOS 6.22 , load it then put Windows 3.1 on and there you have a pretty stable OS .

But seriously ,set the BIOS to boot from CD and stick in a version of Vista 64 or better still Windows 7 64 ,'simples'

I fixed that for you. :)

:p

Soldato
Can you install this now, then activate with Home Premium key ~22nd when it arrives?

I doubt very much that it will let you enter a product key for a different edition that you already have installed.

Do you need to delete the ie.cfg file from the iso so you can choose Home Premium on install?

Nope, I'm afraid that won't work. If you delete the ei.cfg file completely, it won't ask you to select which edition you would like to install, it will still automatically select the Enterprise edition.

If you modify that file and replace Enterprise for Home Premium under the "EditionID" section, when you enter the Windows 7 setup program, a couple of steps in, it will give you the following error message:

The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key.

Associate

But seriously ,set the BIOS to boot from CD and stick in a version of XP ,'simples'

Well, I've been working with PCs since the mid '80s. I am having trouble coming to terms with the lack of serial and parallel ports these days.

But a PC without a floppy drive - thats just WRONG! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom