New Corsair range of SF power supplies

Soldato

I've had a few of the SF750 (and a SF600) power supplies and they were faultless. Will look to get one of these (possibly the SF850) when I upgrade my GPU.

Release date looks to be around the 16th July (for the SF750) anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I am surprised they are still only offering a 7 year warranty on these compared to the 10 years of most of the full size psu's. It just seems strange as the SF series has always been of a very high quality.
Totally agree .

Could they be using lower quality parts compared to previous models , maybe to keep costs down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
After reading up on the new RMe series having shorter warranties and using inferior components and then realising that they ditched CWT and instead used the awful HEC as the oem for them it wouldn't surpise me. It's what they did before with their first psu, the original CX series that was built by Seasonic. Once they got established they switched the oem to CWT with a very inferior platform and the CX went from a excellent psu to a garbage one. I hope they haven't done something similar to the SF series but after the new RMe I wouldn't be surprised. Newer generations are supposed to get better not worse!!

Soldato
After reading up on the new RMe series having shorter warranties and using inferior components and then realising that they ditched CWT and instead used the awful HEC as the oem for them it wouldn't surpise me. It's what they did before with their first psu, the original CX series that was built by Seasonic. Once they got established they switched the oem to CWT with a very inferior platform and the CX went from a excellent psu to a garbage one. I hope they haven't done something similar to the SF series but after the new RMe I wouldn't be surprised. Newer generations are supposed to get better not worse!!

If that's the case then the OG SF750 is still going to be the go to product for most people. I still have the OG SF600 and SF750 and both are incredibly quiet with zero coil whine. All the new stuff i've tested thus far has had some sort of coil whine or generally just loud with terrible fan curves. Have to wait and see reviews but the warranty issue doesn't look good.

Associate
I have an SF750 that is great. Quality cables, fan is off most of the time and even when gaming it's not bad.

I do only have a 3600x with a 1070ti though, so it's hardly stressed

Soldato
Apparently the new ones don't spin the fan under 400w, not sure what the specs are for the OG SF750 but must be similar at a guess.

Soldato
shouldn't this title be SFF? I'm not sure that just SF will draw people in, I only looked to see what SF meant!

Well the range is called the SF series. I think the OP should go for SF, SFF, SFX and SFL just to cover all bases :p

Hopefully Corsair continue their quality in this department and nice to see the bigger capacities coming down to the smaller SF range as well.

Associate
What really annoying Corsair use to make some of the best PSU's. I have owned the AX850, AX860 and the SF 600+Sf750 and they were made by seasonic. After that period they changed.

Then they employed the legendary JohhnyGuru for their PSU department and it still not the same quality of all those years ago. Either JohhnyGuru is being constricted by Corsair or he sold out long ago.

Last edited:
Associate
Then they employed the legendary JohhnyGuru for their PSU department and it still not the same quality of all those years ago. Either JohhnyGuru is being constricted by Corsair or he sold out long ago.
I had this theory that JohnnyGuru is someone who knows their stuff, yet Corsair is run by bean counters: so who better to advice on which corners you can safely cut and which ones you shouldn't than someone who knows PSU well?
Ergo: JohnnyGuru advisor to a Corsair bean counter.

pre

pre

Associate
I had this theory that JohnnyGuru is someone who knows their stuff, yet Corsair is run by bean counters: so who better to advice on which corners you can safely cut and which ones you shouldn't than someone who knows PSU well?
Ergo: JohnnyGuru advisor to a Corsair bean counter.
This applies to every manufacturing company above a certain size these day with revenue forward guidance being the only thing they answer to - just look at Boeing.

That said I wonder if this means they will be releasing an AX series replacing with this new line up?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom