• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New CPU, Just me or is it not working.....

Associate
Hi,

New here so take it easy on me.

I used to run a NForce4-MA Mobo with an AMD 5200 with 2gb of DDR2 800 along side a 9600GT. But it was around 5-6 years old and the CPU just went and took a gig of ram with it.

So I went out and bought a new Mobo, CPU and RAM.

Everything used to run flawlessly with the 5200 but I got this intel e3300 and it feels as if I have majorly just downgraded to the crappiest thing available :(.

The PC takes around 3-4 minutes to get the plain black screen (the one before the login screen) to actually advance any further and then once I get on the login screen it takes like 1-2 minutes to login, then a further 10-15 to actually load everything up. Thats with only 40 processes on startup and most of them are windows services with the only 1 being mine, Utorrent.

Is it supposed to be that slow? CPU is only 2.5ghz but the 5200 was only 2.4ghz. I was thinking it was to do with the fact I never formatted the drive after a complete mobo and cpu change.

So what is my issue you think?

Btw running windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

Upgrading the CPU further is not an option, its mainly for my gf's college stuff and facebook etc then the odd time I want a game of eve :)

Overclocking however I can do if someone can recommend a good clock with stock cooling.

Cheers in advance

Associate
Check your bios settings to see if nothing is out of place and everything is detected.
Make sure Windows 7 has all appropriate drivers up to date.

But yeah as 95thrifles said, you should probably format/re-install Win7. It's always advisable to do so when changing your hardware so completely.

Associate
2 gig ram is kinda bottom end for win 7 but it will work 4 would be better.
If you have totally changed your board and chip there is no way you should try and run the old operating system on the new set up. If yo have not done a format install from scratch you are lucky that win 7 even boots up with your new setup and vastly different motherboard settings.

Soldato
Its probably searching like crazy for all the "missing" hardware from the nvidia board, and then falling back on microsoft "default" drivers for everything.

Reformat will probably be the easiest, but you could probably achieve 99% the same results, by booting in safe mode, and then going to the control panel/device manager and slowly removing all the old devices one by one.

You'll probably want to install the intel chipset drivers for best performance too.

Your processor may not be a rocketship, but its a good performance budget part, and show be faster than your old AMD chip. 2GB is very borderline for 64bit windows 7, But it still shouldnt be the cause of such a slow startup.

Back
Top Bottom