New CPU

Associate
Hey guys, been a PC gamer for a while now, but when it comes to upgrading parts i always get a little worried. Was hoping someone could point in the correct direction for a CPU upgrade.

Current CPU - Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97P-D3

If other information is needed let me know.

Could any advise what CPU I could upgrade to? PC is getting a little slow and cannot really afford a new PC, but I would happily invest in a new board and CPU as PC gaming is a massive passion.

Thanks

Associate
If better gaming is your goal, other specs and ideal performance targets are needed.

So, current GPU, RAM, power unit, and monitor needs to be known.

With that, what games (era) do you want to play, and resolution. Frame rate preference if applicable.

But most important, budget.

Have you an SSD currently?

Associate
OP
Hey, thanks for the reply.

My main goal is for gaming, but my main purpose is to obtain a quicker all-round system.

RAM - 16GB DDR3
GPU - Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Monitors are not the best both 60hz at the moment, but looking at a 120hz monitor for my main in the future.

I believe the power unit is a 500w, but I could be wrong.

Main games are just World of Warcraft at the moment, but Warzone would be nice from time to time.

SSD, yes, its 128GB but I only install Windows on this, will be looking to obtain a new SSD in the future as well.

As for the budget, id say £400 max, but i can see the i9 is just over £300

I will need a new motherboard using socket 1151, where as my current motherboard uses 1150 I believe.

Associate
I would go 10th Series Intel.

▷ Intel Core i5-10400F 2.90GHz (Comet Lake) Soc… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £139.99 6 core 12 thread CPU, no onboard graphics.

▷ Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £68.99 3000 MHz RAM, suits the bus of Intel motherboards, Ryzen however loves fast RAM.

▷ MSI MAG B460 Torpedo (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 A… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £99.95, MSI motherboard, for a budget with the correct chipset for the 10400F and access to NVME M2 storage.

Total

£308.93

Some spare money for NVME storage. Fast storage for OS/gaming PCI-E 3. DDR 3 RAM is ancient now. DDR 5 next year.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, this may be a stupid question, but is the 10th Gen much faster than my current CPU?

Really happy with the items you suggested here, well within my budget, i mean i was going to spend £300 on the CPU alone.

Also, NVME storage is better than SSD? Will the motherboard accept NVME storage if i decide to buy this later on?

Last edited:
Associate
It will be faster, however, other factors may limit you. Graphics card and storage. 10th Gen came out relatively recently (Comet Lake), it is the most up to date chipset from Intel. 11th series is due March 2021. However, I have looked at the prices they want to charge for Rocket Lake, and expect to pay a price premium.

intel Core i5 2400 vs 3470 vs 4460 vs 6400 vs 7400 vs 8400 - YouTube

This video goes up to 8 series CPU's Intel, 10th came out about a year ago.

Associate
Would upgrading from Intel 5th gen really make a difference to games though?

I always thought it was GPU limited. I am even older, 4th gen here and as I understand none of my games are throttled by CPU (my assessment of that is based on CPU not reaching 100% load in games), whereas GPU is always 100% load.

Associate
Thanks, this may be a stupid question, but is the 10th Gen much faster than my current CPU?

Really happy with the items you suggested here, well within my budget, i mean i was going to spend £300 on the CPU alone.

Also, NVME storage is better than SSD? Will the motherboard accept NVME storage if i decide to buy this later on?

NVME storage is better than SSD's. SSD are end of life now, limited by SATA 3 and top out at 550 MB's a second.

An NVME like the Samsung 970 Evo plus will push speeds of...3000 MB's per second.

Like the one below. £59.99. The board has an NVME slot.

▷ Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

Last edited:
Associate
Would upgrading from Intel 5th gen really make a difference to games though?

I always thought it was GPU limited. I am even older, 4th gen here and as I understand none of my games are throttled by CPU (my assessment of that is based on CPU not reaching 100% load in games), whereas GPU is always 100% load.

1080P CPU limitation applies more, 4K GPU bound, 1440P in the middle between both.

A good CPU helps. A multi- 6 core is now in my opinion the lowest we should go for in 2021. 8 core better still.

Associate
OP
It will be faster, however, other factors may limit you. Graphics card and storage. 10th Gen came out relatively recently (Comet Lake), it is the most up to date chipset from Intel. 11th series is due March 2021. However, I have looked at the prices they want to charge for Rocket Lake, and expect to pay a price premium.

intel Core i5 2400 vs 3470 vs 4460 vs 6400 vs 7400 vs 8400 - YouTube

This video goes up to 8 series CPU's Intel, 10th came out about a year ago.

Thanks for the help, I have another question if that's ok, I don't know what case I have, but I'm guessing the motherboard should fit ok within my current case?

I also may take the 970 Evo Plus aswell for that price, I'm guessing i can still use my SSD aswell at the same time? Sorry for the all the questions.

Associate
"still use my SSD" = Yes of course. Re-use it. Save some money.

"motherboard should fit ok within my current case?" = I don't know what case you own, ATX motherboards have 9 screw holes and fit in most midi cases. Perhaps you should examine the board/case and see if you have MATX already? Look on YouTube and see if your motherboard is MATX or ATX? If you need a case that will add more cost. However, cases have improved lots in the last decade. I would look inside you case for 9 screw holes and study motherboard, MATX boards only generally come with two RAM slots and a few PCI-e slots.

Motherboard form factors

ITX-Super tiny boards
MATX - Smaller than ATX
ATX - Standard size and most popular.
EATX - None standard but wider than ATX general
BTX - Extinct motherboard type.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
"still use my SSD" = Yes of course. Re-use it. Save some money.

"motherboard should fit ok within my current case?" = I don't know what case you own, ATX motherboards have 9 screw holes and fit in most midi cases. Perhaps you should examine the board/case and see if you have MATX already? Look on YouTube and see if your motherboard is MATX or ATX? If you need a case that will add more cost. However, cases have improved lots in the last decade. I would look inside you case for 9 screw holes and study motherboard, MATX boards only generally come with two RAM slots and a few PCI-e slots.

Motherboard form factors

ITX-Super tiny boards
MATX - Smaller than ATX
ATX - Standard size and most popular.
EATX - None standard but wider than ATX general
BTX - Extinct motherboard type.

Thank you so much, looking at my current motherboard online its an ATX, which would mean it will fit!

Thank you so much for all your help.

Soldato
Hey guys, been a PC gamer for a while now, but when it comes to upgrading parts i always get a little worried. Was hoping someone could point in the correct direction for a CPU upgrade.

Current CPU - Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97P-D3

If other information is needed let me know.

Could any advise what CPU I could upgrade to? PC is getting a little slow and cannot really afford a new PC, but I would happily invest in a new board and CPU as PC gaming is a massive passion.

Thanks
Are you just upgrading cpu/mobo and keeping your 1060? Before my 3080 rocked up I got to use my old 1070 with new Comet Lake and old Skylake setup, not much difference really, particularly as it cost £££'s.

Associate
OP
Are you just upgrading cpu/mobo and keeping your 1060? Before my 3080 rocked up I got to use my old 1070 with new Comet Lake and old Skylake setup, not much difference really, particularly as it cost £££'s.

I will be upgraded my 1060 at some point, it just cost that's the issue. I noticed that when playing most games, my CPU is always at 100%, FPS was never really an issue it was simply my CPU that just could not cope with the load, I couldn't even alt-tab out of Warzone for example as it would simply take around 5 minutes to catch up.

Soldato
I will be upgraded my 1060 at some point, it just cost that's the issue. I noticed that when playing most games, my CPU is always at 100%, FPS was never really an issue it was simply my CPU that just could not cope with the load, I couldn't even alt-tab out of Warzone for example as it would simply take around 5 minutes to catch up.
Fair play, I had an i7 6700k @ 4.7 which i suppose made the difference ... I have noticed CP2077 using all 10 cores I have now, which was a shock.

Back
Top Bottom