• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New details have come to light regarding the flagship HD 9970 part from AMD.

Associate
This statement alone proves why most console gamers hate PC gamers and call them elitist.

I have quiet a few M8's who game on PC every night and quess what?, not a single one of them knows whats inside thier PC.
All they do is chuck a big wedge of cash at a pre built every time they need a new machine and don't care whats in it as long as it works. It's all about the gaming for them not who's got the biggest **** on the block.

That's not really about PC gamers being elitist, its more about some people being willfully ignorant. A basic knowledge of what's inside your machine and how to get the best out of it is part of the whole PC experience. Updating drivers, tweaking in-game settings, etc. Its not difficult.

I'm not saying that there's anything particularly wrong with buying a machine and expecting it to "just work", in fact my career (and many others) relies on the majority of people being exactly like this. But to then accuse people who are knowledgeable of being elitist is absurd. Its like taking your car to a garage and then hating on the mechanic because he knows how a 4-stroke engine works.

Soldato
it isn't the bit about being knowledgeable that is elitist - it's the bit about calling anyone who doesn't have the same level of knowledge names for not caring and just wanting to play games

people can be PC gamers without knowing how to build one - people telling console users that they are stupid because they aren't interested in building PC's is both elitist and puts console games off of wanting to become PC gamers

Caporegime
I've been a PC gamer for years (since~ '92) and a console gamer for years (since~ '88) and I don't get the hate for consoles. Consoles are awesome. Turn on, play game. No hassle.

I work in IT support for a living btw, and these days if my home PC doesn't want to play a game, I'm mostly inclined to uninstall it and play something else.

I did the whole MSDOS thing, tweaking config.sys and autoexec.bat, loading high, enabling XMS, etc. Thankfully that's a thing of the past. These days I think even updating drivers should be taken care of for you. It should be done in the background transparently by the OS. If the user does it, it's just more potential for error.

As to knowing what hardware is in your system, that's not unreasonable. But given Intel and nVidia's love of confusing model numbers (or rebadging in nV's case), it really is a full time job browsing boards like this to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Or... you could learn to love console gaming :p

Back
Top Bottom