New DJI Keynote and Drones - Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom released

Soldato
I like the Pro, not sure I’d make good use of the Zoom. I think I’m struggling to use mine often enough to warrant an upgrade at the moment though. Perhaps if I could get £500 for th original Mavic I’d go for it. Might need to check how the used prices are hit by these being launched.

Soldato
I ordered my Mavic 2 Pro within minutes of it being available to order on the DJI site.

It didn't ship until Monday though (ordering with the fly more kit apparently slowed down despatch) but they are shipping directly from China so at this rate it will be next week before it arrives :(

I'm looking forward to getting it though, appears to be quite a big updated from the original Mavic Pro.

Soldato
What kinda stuff are you shooting on it? (And don't say aerials!)

I use it for a mix of photo and video.. being mainly a landscape photographer I put the mavic in my backpack with the rest of my camera gear and often mix it with video I've taken with the DSLR and timelapses.

Actually the new hyperlapse mode is something I'm looking forward to using.

I've had a Mavic Pro since that released and it's a great drone but when the light wasn't perfect it struggled, also the stills were quite OK but not great, the new Mavic 2 Pro is much better for photos/low light.

Associate
What is the deal with legislation coming through then? I'd be surprised if it can be properly policed either way.

technically nothing is changing!

The only things coming in to play over the next couple years is uk owners will have to sign up and register the a drone,

The police now have new powers to take drones of people who are flying dangerously but they will probably have to have some solid evidence before they do that , my understanding is just keep away from Airports and large crowds of people and you will be fine.

400ft high is now down in legislation and if you break it you could possibly be fined ! from my understanding no one has currently been charged for breaking this & its pretty much broken everyday by 1000s of pilots.#

general rule of Thumb just fly safe and away from people & eveyone's happy.

Soldato
If you break the 400 feet you could be doing far, far worse. We live a couple of hundred yards away from heath and forest, where I often fly, and a mile the other way is Ipswich hospital, complete with air ambulance landing pad. The helicopter frequently comes over very low on approach, and probably wouldn't benefit from flying into a Mavic Pro. This scenario, and others like it, are repeated all across the country. The rules aren't selective - they're there for a reason.

Soldato
Thinking of picking up a Mavic 2 pro, whilst I'm over in LA for a couple of months, I'd like one to expand my landscape photography and to do things from different viewpoints and perspectives,

Anyone here have one? Anything I need to be aware of at all?

Soldato
Thinking of picking up a Mavic 2 pro, whilst I'm over in LA for a couple of months, I'd like one to expand my landscape photography and to do things from different viewpoints and perspectives,

Anyone here have one? Anything I need to be aware of at all?

I've had one since release and it is an excellent drone, big improvement over the original Mavic Pro. I would advise picking up some ND Filters for it.. I personally like the Polarpro ones.

For stills: https://www.polarprofilters.com/col...sories/products/mavic-2-filters-long-exposure
For video https://www.polarprofilters.com/col...oducts/mavic-2-pro-filters-shutter-collection

If using long exposure, out the Mavic in tripod mode, it gives a little more stability when taking the shot.

Also the Mavic 6 legs are very short so not much room on ground clearance for taking off/landing. I would also recommend the Polarpro Retract landing gear:

https://www.polarprofilters.com/col...ers-accessories/products/landing-gear-mavic-2

These are excellent as they can be left on the drone all the time, very handy!!

Jase

Soldato
That's pretty helpful thanks, one question - how sharp can you get images when shooting long exposures from a Drone? presumable it depends on the amount of wind and stuff?

Surprisingly very sharp, I'm not talking about a 30 second exposure or anything but depending on weather a couple of seconds plus... first time I tried a long exposure with it was of a light house where the wind was 20+ so I didn't push it above 1.6 seconds (which is what I wanted anyway) and it was perfect really surprised me. On a calm day you can push it much more.

Soldato
Surprisingly very sharp, I'm not talking about a 30 second exposure or anything but depending on weather a couple of seconds plus... first time I tried a long exposure with it was of a light house where the wind was 20+ so I didn't push it above 1.6 seconds (which is what I wanted anyway) and it was perfect really surprised me. On a calm day you can push it much more.

I might pick one up before I return home, unfortunately the regulations on drones in the US seem very harsh, the UK seeems much more relaxed. In California there’s hardly anywhere you can fly them.

In the UK I could fly one pretty much wherever I wanted (according to the rules) in a place like the highlands of Scotland.

Associate
I might pick one up before I return home, unfortunately the regulations on drones in the US seem very harsh, the UK seeems much more relaxed. In California there’s hardly anywhere you can fly them.

In the UK I could fly one pretty much wherever I wanted (according to the rules) in a place like the highlands of Scotland.

Not many places to fly? Should I not bring my mavic2pro over then?

Back
Top Bottom