New driveway - opinions

Associate
Hi all, I had a new blockpaved driveway installed earlier in the year. Very happy with it apart from a few snags that I've not gotten around to bringing up since we just had a baby so its not been my priority.

Anyway the main snag is at the top of the drive one corner butts up to the path nicely. The other goes off at a bit of an angle which they have then filled with tarmac. Problem with that being I want to add gates and a fence all along the top and can't as it would cut across my grass if it were all straight.

I am on a curve in the steet but still I expected a better job than that. One of the guys came around so I brought it up with him. He just grumbled a bit and said it would take him a day to change that. Then said "We just follwed the angle off your neighbours drive. Why don't you just drop your fence posts down lower in the grass". Which to me is not a great solution as I'd loose a bit of garden and they're already quite small.

What do you all think? Is what he suggested acceptable or should I persue further and ask he bring the top further up to the path?

Pk1bZUf.jpg

6Gf4WD5.jpg

Soldato
Personally i think its sloppy work.
He is about 20mm from footpath at left of top pic and about 200mm from footpath the other side, i cant understand why!

When we do similar, we keep about 25mm from the old edge (footpath) when we put in kerbs.

Also you have a dip forming in top left of top pic.
And we never do a driveway in 90 degrees, always looks better laid in a 45 degrees

Associate
OP
I can't understand why he's done that either. When I spoke to him I got the impression he realised it was a mistake but he didn't want to say too much and fobbed me off a bit. I think I'll have another word.

Soldato
I'd be really annoyed at that. If it's a days work, he needs to be coming back for a day!

These builders aren't cheap either. Not sure how much you paid, but you want it doing right.

Back
Top Bottom